• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Savage truth.

Tug

I'll probably go with a 15t, simply because I have one lying around...

Anything around 45-55mph is fine for me anyway, the Savage is a basher not a speed demon :D

Going to stick to 5S for now to save having to buy new batts, besides I'm not sure I'll get a 6S that fits the single battery tray I've got.

Yeah, 6s bricks are kinda large. At the moment I'm happy to use the stock flux boxes, biggest downside to them, that I see, is getting larger 3s packs that'll fit the long slim dimensions of the boxes. If I can score twenty minute runs, that'll do, but I'd prefer longer than that.

No vid, but it was very dark. Just had another quick run in the road, she's really starting to please me! Speeds are OK, not GPS'd her yet. Temps were low on the combo, 40C on the motor and about 30C on the ESC.

Got another trick to try yet, will go into more detail when I get the chance.

Looks like the savage xl buggy that I built. Was fun at first but I soon fell out of love with it a stripped it and sold it. Hope you enjoy yours more than I did.

What didn't you enjoy? Mine's handling almost like a Truggy! OK, I've only put two packs through her, both on Tarmac, but she's putting a smile on my face!

It was ok, fast, handled well, different but after spending 9 months and a lot of money to get it running it just needed more money spending on it and by then I'd kind of lost interest. I bought a set of trenchers for it but they were a lot bigger than I was expecting and just weren't right so it was either get some badlands (or something else) or get rid. I've still got the tvps but the rest has gone.

Edited by oodboo

Quick GPS run and she topped out at 39. I can live with that, for now. That was with the 1480kv motor coupled with the Super 5sc flux gearbox on 6s. The 900kv mounted to the CD will be in the next couple of days.

Right, just got in from a trail walk with the Savvy, she's performed perfectly! A lot of thoughts running through my head right now, I'll try to arrange them into a readable post later.

Right, on Friday I had a chat with the technical department of HPI. They were very helpful BTW. I was looking for smaller spur gears for the Super 5sc gearbox that I have been using in this Savvy I've built. Turns out that the slipper assembly is unique to the S5 and so the only spur available is the 52. If I want a smaller spur the only options are get one made or fit a standard flux slipper. I asked if the gearbox was a reduction box and was told "yes".

"Do you know the ratio?" I asked.

"No". So the guy sat there and worked it out for me! Now that's service!

The reduction ratio is 2.513:1.

So, the first combo I'd tried in the car was a 1480kv on 6s. 22 volts, 1480 kv, 17 tooth pinion, 52 tooth spur, finally the reduction box.

22 x 1480 x ( 17

I hace been running the leopard 4092 1480kv in my xl (with the centre diff) on 10/46 on 6s, speed is good and so is the torque, temps have been slightly higher than I wanted though. I have just (literally 2 mins ago) fitted a 52t spur to run with the same 10t pinion...hopefully this should bring the heat down to a nice level and not drop the speed down too drastically!

If I have any luck with this setup then it may be worth trying if your not happy with the 520kv one :)

Edited by Wrighty8766