• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

I'm very happy with the set up now too. Because the beast got quite heavy (not least as I use 5+ amp packs), the standard shocks set up just wasn't working any more, the ride height just slumped.

After some experimentation (and a rig that bounced more than Tigger at times!) I settled on replacing the stock rear shocks for the Axial white springs...

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30214

For the front, I removed the 54mm springs and went with 90mm (which are sized for the rear) green and maxed the preload collar all the way down...

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30215

Today's run over a bumpy farmer's field (which I use as my testing ground) at full speed showed me the shocks setup was finally good, as the suspension was flexing like crazy and gave me a nice, smooth ride.  Job's a good en!

Edited by Zombi

Pics from today's tailing.  I must say I'm so impressed with the Tekin gear, the difference is huge.  It really helped me keep up with the Wraith boys when crawling through the more technical, rocky areas as there was just no cogging. And it still has the top-end power for when we did some circuit racing.

I'm going to have to remove the 1-inch light bar though; the Q-series just drown it out so it's pointless. I might well sell it off.  Lastly, the waterproofing working a treat, the beast went for several big dips, as you'll see below.

gxqve4S.jpg
H85A2Tq.jpg
eo4WG7p.jpg
2lKfzg7.jpg
iHBROE8.jpg
uGD9V6u.jpg
SusiINs.jpg
wjY0qZT.jpg
My1OBUX.jpg
Rmjb0Dj.jpg
0JjWJdm.jpg
6RBLEE4.jpg
rEHOsA9.jpg
pSEGNWu.jpg
8rgVntj.jpg
DHKwfW2.jpg
CLUFaWg.jpg
U3R3K6C.jpg
55pqZ4m.jpg
tGOcLBx.jpg
Ld0I0uC.jpg
48qtmYl.jpg
WDtVR68.jpg
6tNHzw7.jpg
uQBWb6J.jpg
hTcTRPL.jpg
jZqY1Xp.jpg
Wta0chQ.jpg
CE3gyWQ.jpg
Rih7ilV.jpg
zeR2Sy3.jpg
JDSXx3N.jpg
oH38ss4.jpg
oCM98Lm.jpg
LPnzWN5.jpg
SQK8AEV.jpg
TpHCYaL.jpg
w1jdQVR.jpg
wS44bhq.jpg
YGYsdGD.jpg
lQbM0DH.jpg
qL002ct.jpg
tgAa3qD.jpg
XYJTCRK.jpg
LuGHjAg.jpg
ThAo4La.jpg
AZzL0lM.jpg
4tz08Nz.jpg

zvRYEkB.jpg

iz2W4VF.jpg
jCLgEpH.jpg
Sophh1a.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

One other thing, I "siped" (American word for "scored", I think) the treads as covered in the leaflet you'll get with them. It made a big difference, I recommended it.  Just get a cutting wheel on the dremel on the case.

So it looks like running my lights off the balance port is causing 1 cell on all my 3S batteries to deplete faster than the other cells.  Googling the issue, it seems that it's a known potential problem when doing this and running lots of, or high powered LEDs.

So it looks like I have to re-think how I connect up the VP Q-Series.  Preference would be to keep the switch in the fuel cell still.  And I reckon I'll run the power straight from the ESC by soldering on a couple of wires to the + and - posts.

Project re-wire is complete.  

I started off sketching out how i wanted it to look. I've found that prep is the key when it comes to wiring up lights, rather than just launching into it, so I'd advise anyone to do the same.  The only thing that changed is that I realised I didn't need the plug after the switch and before lights connectors.  I went for three plugs; one for the QS, one for the rear and one spare should I need it in the future.

wX6eMyo.jpg

Next was crimping the JST connectors. I used flexible silicone 22 AWG wire bought from eBay.  As you can see, I decided to feed the rear lights plug through the hole in the fuel cell. I had to drill it out to 3mm though as it just wasn't wide enough and i damaged a wire when trying to feed it though.

bR6hAz9.jpg
nSQkrIK.jpg

The three connectors twisted together at the ends, ready to be tinned and heat shrink in place.

h69fgGe.jpg

Soldering done and the fuel cell distribution portion complete.

vEBuOiT.jpg
dEB6hp8.jpg
4G9C7jc.jpg

More crimping, this time for the power leads which will be connected to the ESC.

McphL5V.jpg

To connect these on was straight forward enough - wires tinned with a decent amount of solder first. Then I heated the post until the solder at the top started to melt, then simply placed my wire between the iron and heated solder and pressed down gently. 

Vp5WeCV.jpg

And boosh, we have power!

SyB8LgC.jpg

Edited by Zombi

It's not too tricky to do if you have the right tool to do the job with. Were you using a proper crimper like the one above or just pliers?  It's possible to use pliers, but it's really fiddly.