• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

LVC and lipo

jp79er

I thought it was permanent degradation, as in won't be as punchy/powerful ever again. I abuse mine, leave em up to a week fully charged but have noticed they're definitely not as good as they were and I don't run that many cycles through em.

As the man said, permanent degradation. I know because as a noob, I left lipos charged for a few days at times, suffice it to say, I no longer have many of these packs now ;)

ok so will put in storage mode after a discharge...then plan ahead my trips and charge that day before I go out....I will also have NiMH with me anyways (especially if the Father-in-law, kids or the good lady drives, as they are all as shocking as each other) just need to remember to change the LVC setting between battery types.

if I get any more lipos will certainly need a second charger me thinks...

Cheers for the voltage monitor/alarm...I will have to sort one out...

Once again cheers for all your help as always....and I am sure my house insurance will thank you for it...LOL

Edited by jp79er

Ok, back from my very first LiPO test and my general thoughts between my 3s 20c against my 7.2v NiMH packs...be a bit more powerful but cant be that much...!!!!

Ok so this this is how it went down.....checked the LVC was on 3.4v, turned it on, put on ground, switched receiver on.....(the chaps at the skate park that normally ask, do you brining it in here, of which I would normally oblige and then drive round them over the jumps and stuff and generally have a laugh. I said not today lads new battery to try)...I then pull the `GO' trigger and in a roar and scream it span up and round like something for the exorcist and flipped over on the roof, I gave a little rye smile in pleasure that I used to get as child when I got that technic Lego set I wanted for Christmas, you know that type of feeling....

I then reset and tried again (bit more gentle on the throttle)....then what proceeded was......O.M.F.G.G.......the additional power and ...well....shear brutality on take off is astounding....the overall top end was blistering what typically I would watch roaring from on side of the open field...was now, for all intensive purposes now bending space and time....I think everyone in the park stopped and just stared and the kids on the skate park were all lined up as the wailing banshee ripped the park to bits......I now desperately need to recharge it and get it back out for more, the dog will not stand a chance

I love LiPO, and I will trust no one else to drive it needs super fine throttle and steering control to keep it under control.......

Edited by jp79er

The one in my pic, its a 1/10 TAMCO Raider (Made by Amerang)....I do want to get something a bit better and go 1/8 next  but must admit I have had it now 4 months and still really pleased with it....and has proved to be relatively robust to my driving ability and the kids too...it takes a licking and keeps on ticking...so to speak...that lipo is superb for big flat open park, so might have to get a couple of 2c's for general bashing so it can be a bit more manageable in close quarters and more rugged terrain...

Edited by jp79er

Lipo FTW!

It is a very noticeable leap in power and performance over a NiMH, you will get used to it in time, then crave the desire for more, more, more...in the midnight hour, if Sir William of Idol is to be believed...

Maybe one day, you'll have a drive of a 7/8/10s powered largescale...now that IS bonkers ;)

Noticeable leap.....that is quite an understment.....as for the crave....I am sure once I work out how keep the power under control i will push it, think next is upping the pinion teeth....

Trying to sus the motor that I have its a 3065kv, but I know no more than that....google search only comes up with a FDS Motor which is an 8T motor, but the casing is identical, but its purple where as mine is red (but that could be just for TAMCO's colour when they are supplied to them) can size is right too for it...but what are the chances???

Edited by jp79er

Now my next question is if that is the motor and its 8T and my ESC motor limit for 3s LiPO is

onroad - greater than/equal to 12T

off road - greater than/equal to 18T

would a 8T motor be an issue? or will it kill it eventually

If you volt up, you're supposed to gear down. Don't go adding any teeth to your pinion, that's not going to help. While you're having all this fun, are you monitoring motor temps? If you haven't got one, get a temp gun, they're about 12 quid. Max motor temp is 82C, try not to exceed this. The ESC should have a thermal cut-out, but monitor the temp of the case and the heatsink just to be sure.

Jumping from a 6 cell nimh to 3s lipo isa mahoosive jump BTW.

It is i know and realise that now. .lol..but good fun. Tried to take ut out but grip on tyres are liw and damp freshly cut grass offered little in the way of traction.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you volt up, you're supposed to gear down. Don't go adding any teeth to your pinion, that's not going to help. While you're having all this fun, are you monitoring motor temps? If you haven't got one, get a temp gun, they're about 12 quid. Max motor temp is 82C, try not to exceed this. The ESC should have a thermal cut-out, but monitor the temp of the case and the heatsink just to be sure.

Jumping from a 6 cell nimh to 3s lipo isa mahoosive jump BTW.

As for gearing down, I have taken the main diff gear from 72t to 62t.....but after a run with car I can still put my hand on the motor casing and hold it there for a good 10 seconds...The kettle once boiled I can't keep my hand on the metal casing....so Iam taking its below 100 degree c..will get a IR gun to really check.

Posted by me ????

Sounds like you're on the case.

Vids next! ;)

Will get some vids, problem is just that when I go out its normally just me and the dog and he's rubbish at filming, and I find it virtually impossible to film and drive at the same time.....although I would love to get some video with an onboard camera with the 3c in.. 

ok sorry next question.....

my LVC is set to 3.4v/cell.......so if I take my battery off after it has hit the LVC. Plug in my charger and read of the cell voltages off the screen.....and they read say 3.6/cell

can it take my LVC down to 3.2v/cell then test again, they should readt then 3.4v/cell (in theory)...

Can then reduce the LVC until the batteries discharge to 3.2v/cell then I can a get a bit longer run time on the battery???? or is that a bit risky...to do that and just leave it on 3.4v/cell and be done with it????

Be careful here, if your LVC is well calibrated, then you run the risk of deep discharging one or more cells. This is because the voltage of a lipo cell drops off dramatically once it reaches 3.4.

For example; if two cells are still reading 3.6, that's a total for the pair of 7.2 volts. This only leaves 3 volts of protection for the third cell, at this point the third cell can easily be pushed down under load to very low voltages that'll permanently damage it.

From your current cut-off point, how much charge does it take to refill the whole pack?

• Like 1

Be careful here, if your LVC is well calibrated, then you run the risk of deep discharging one or more cells. This is because the voltage of a lipo cell drops off dramatically once it reaches 3.4.

For example; if two cells are still reading 3.6, that's a total for the pair of 7.2 volts. This only leaves 3 volts of protection for the third cell, at this point the third cell can easily be pushed down under load to very low voltages that'll permanently damage it.

From your current cut-off point, how much charge does it take to refill the whole pack?

After my last run it took just over 2700, and its a 3200 20C 3s...although that is my first proper charge of it...although my transmitter batteries started running low...so it may have dropped out of range and then me thinking it hit the LVC...instead of it actually hitting the LVC

Edited by jp79er

Hmm, OK, that does sound like there's room to lower it another notch. I'd wait until you have an alarm though, this will monitor your individual cell voltages for you.

Ok, will keep an eye on them, I wont reduce the LVC just yet then..

Cheers for your help, I know I ask a lot of questions but the help you have all given is really cool and appreciated.