• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Yet another lipo fire, heed the warning!

Tug

5.07 - stay at home when you charge your lipo's or us one of those lipo bags...

Terrible advice - Never leave them unattended and charge them in a suitable fire resistant/proof container.  To add also:

5.18 - Ray is someone who doesn't take any risk with his Lipo really

Make your own assumptions - even ignoring a one time step out for ten minutes - if he'd have charged them in a suitable container, had a fire extinguisher handy (for if the fire spread), charged them in a safe an environment as practical (outside / concrete floor etc) and possibly had the means to move said container if necessary then even at the ten minute point he likely wouldn't have been in this mess.

I really feel for the guy however. 

Edited by capri-boy

That's bad. 10 min I dunno the bajas might have had petrol in them then petrol cans mayb around. That's got to be the worst lipo fire ever.

That's me full of fear again my slash project will go back a long time now.

That's pretty gruesome!!

Almost like War of the World's has started, and there's an alien lifeform taken over ..... too many movies I suppose!

Glad nobody got hurt other than financially and mentally.

Al.

It's a very stark and plain lesson.

Mess with LiPos at your peril.

Treat them with proper respect, never leave them unattended when charging, and always take precautions.

For most...forget fire extinguishers. Unless you can afford a proper full size one, it's a total waste of time. You will not be able to do anything worthwhile with a hot chemical fire and one of those little car/kitchen fire extinguishers....and that includes preventing fire spread. They also have a habit of losing pressure if not regularly tested and serviced....so if you buy one...look after it!

That's why I use a LiPo sack and charge mine sat on an old cast iron frying pan. The theory is the metal will soak and spread some of the heat, while the bag contains the worst. The battery will go out, and I can remove the whole thing.

You also have to consider how much flammable material ends up in a hobby shed. Paint, spray cans, degreaser, fuel, cleaning materials. Then add in all the wood and plastics ( all potential fuel ), cleaning rags and so on. Not surprising the shed went up as fast as it did really.

Thats terrible

the guy had a great collection by the look of it and has been doing it for years - even the experienced people get it wrong

here in uk our house insurance prob wouldnt cover that with all the flamable material, risk etc  - hope the guys insurance is good

Thats terrible

the guy had a great collection by the look of it and has been doing it for years - even the experienced people get it wrong

here in uk our house insurance prob wouldnt cover that with all the flamable material, risk etc  - hope the guys insurance is good

Over here it wouldn't, but oiver there it will.

I always charge mine near the back door on an even tray with high sides, if I even get the smallest bit of smoke or it starts puffing, it'll go outside.

Some people who come round think I'm stupid and over-cautious of them, little do they know...

• Like 1

Shame there's no real detail in the video about precautions taken. "Ray doesn't take risks" doesn't really help us all to understand whether it was in a metal box (unlikely) or even in a lipo sack.

It's still a stark warning though, makes me think in a lipo sack clear of anything combustible sack needs to be upgraded!

Worth remembering that a lipo that's just left sat idle can self combust, as one of the forum members can testify to. Apologies for not remembering the name.

How does that happen, what causes it?

Hmmm. Think it's about time I stopped charging on the living room carpet with a dodgy Chinese laptop charger!

...ah....yes!!....what a gutter....I thk I need to reasses my charging routine and get a metal box of sum sort and do it out side.....and stop storing then on top the kitchen cupboards.....and always take them out of the cars on the shelfs I put up in the downstairs toilet...my bottom 2 shelves got 3 brushless rc' s on them..I dont general leave lipos in them but my 6s is in my mt4g3 as of now......in fact I'm gonna move them right now. Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Makes me think I should extract my fully charged one from the glovebox in the car........

Living in a flat I have nowhere to store them other than inside. Garage underneath but would I want a fully fledged fire starting underneath us? Think I'd rather have them where I could hear the smoke alarm kick off. Might check the alarm battery though after seeing that!

Hmmm, I seldom charge attended, never in a bag, always indoors on a kitchen worktop offcut bench, and keep them all in bags in the house...

Lipo bunker in new man cave, fireproof, with sand perhaps.... :)