• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight-T arrived today

ninjagaiden

The velineon fits with a squeeze but meshing it right is the trouble I'm sure that babbling fool meshed it with the wrong pinion ?

It's half the reason guys strip there spurs they use a 48 pitch pinion that doesn't quite mesh right which then gets a tad of dust in and chews the spur

The velineon fits with a squeeze but meshing it right is the trouble I'm sure that babbling fool meshed it with the wrong pinion ?

It's half the reason guys strip there spurs they use a 48 pitch pinion that doesn't quite mesh right which then gets a tad of dust in and chews the spur

Yep. That exact video had me fooled, as I ordered a velineon expecting it to slot in over the chassis, and a 48DP 14T pinion. WRONG on both counts and it cost me (a little bit of) money as a result. He's using an M8 for the vid.

I would suggest you take advice from people who have actually tried the install.

Some people have also used washers between the motor plate and the chassis for that extra bit of clearance. It'd be worried about lateral slop on the motor plate doing that though.

Bought the motor for a play around as I also ( like mydoddy said ) have purchased a spare chassis just in case it goes tits up :)

Pinions for the velineon

http://www.smartteknik.se/uk/pinongear/pinion-for-3-2-mm-shaft-1.html

Right pitch and right bore no bigger than a 16 thou sorry but I think there's a limit to what size you can run before the motor catches ?

But you can search for Novak pinions 0.5 mod

The more I look into this the more I think I just can't be bothered in getting one ..might just give the pede a new shell and wheels instead !

Would it be any fun if these cars/trucks came absolutely perfect?

Messing around with this will give me a full day of tinkering :) sometimes the best part of this hobby is the tinkering ;)

The washers underneath the motor mount sounds like a reasonable idea, get some slightly longer bolts, threadlock and make sure it's set before using... Shouldn't make any difference to the motor mount surely?

That could be an ideal fix, or at least help.

Sorry for butting in by the way, but I really fancy buying one, been hovering over the buy button a few times :lol:

Motor mounts also act as heatsinks.  This may defeat the purpose somewhat.  I would suggest a metal bar of said thickness and length coupled with thermal paste.

Does appear like there is high demand for an aftermarket mount,...something for someone to do? :whistling:

++

What is the wheel offset please?

The washes under the motor mount won't work I don't think.. Reason I say this is the motor mount is also the spur gear holder and it holds the bearing for the centre drive shaft so if you lift this the bearings will be out of line and so will the centre driveshaft ? .

In theory yes it sounds like a plan but you'd need to shim the whole rear end and then the front end including the steering arm holders and the centre brace surely ?

Tinkering is great fun but it was more a cost thing, do I really want to spend close to

Mine will be here today :)

Your Wheel Spin Models order will be delivered today between 17:06-18:06

Your Wheel Spin Models order will be delivered today by Dave, your DPD driver. Please ensure that someone is available to sign for your delivery at:

The washes under the motor mount won't work I don't think.. Reason I say this is the motor mount is also the spur gear holder and it holds the bearing for the centre drive shaft so if you lift this the bearings will be out of line and so will the centre driveshaft ? .

In theory yes it sounds like a plan but you'd need to shim the whole rear end and then the front end including the steering arm holders and the centre brace surely ?

Tinkering is great fun but it was more a cost thing, do I really want to spend close to

What about putting washers under the rear gearbox? That would raise the back end to be in line with the motor mount and also maybe raising the from and centre too just to keep things in line?

I'll post later when I have had a good look ;)

If you shim then its got to be more than the mount as said to keep everything in line, to fit the 28mm can it is far easier to take the small amount off the chassis as it is only the chassis near the mount that needs doing, milling the chassis is a perfect way to do it, I wish I had a milling machine I would buy a chassis and get it done before buying the truggy and then swap it all over that way it's all checked, tightened, threadlocked and ready to go just what I would do before running it any way lol

I think the thing stopping me is Losi's ignorance to a problem they definitely knew existed, instead of trying to sort it for the latest model, they've ignored it and put it on sale anyway... Rather bugs me when they already had the base sorted, all they needed to do was fit a slightly taller motor mount to make bigger motors fit easily.

First impression is.........

WOW! Does it cog :(

Seems nice and sturdy and have not run outside yet just a quick blast with a nimh.

Edited by hebby

Problems with diffs in the usa it seems, their shimming them because of too much movement and some have already stripped teeth in the diffs from excess movement and going out of mesh ?

I think I can wait, I have a little plan I am going to do with my emb buggy but would be better with the longer chassis of the sct but I am not going to buy one just to see if what I have in mind will work ok :)