• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight-T arrived today

ninjagaiden

Do you know if the drive shafts are stronger in the mini 8ight t compared to the buggy? I converted my buggy to a truggy quite some time ago but have the issue of the extra weight of the wheels and the added power of a 28mm motor just snap driveahafts with ease

Just put verniers on it, and the dogbones are 3.4mm diameter. Central driveshaft looks nice and beefy.

Been looking in my spares box and I found a Hobbyking 45A brushless ESC which was on my crawler before switching to a 55t brushed setup. Do you reckon it will do for the Velineon 380 or do I need more oooompph!

Edited by ninjagaiden

Guys

Here are some pics as promised:

Top view - it's big for a mini!

_DSC0286.JPG

_DSC0287.JPG

Size comparison with my DEX410 - it's really not far off 1:10 scale!

_DSC0288.JPG

See how the rear wing koos kind of small compared to the truggy body

_DSC0289.JPG

There's quite a bit of space round the motor, for dropping in a 380 can. I reckon even a 2858 can would fit as well, though you would need to relocate the ESC.

_DSC0290.JPG

_DSC0291.JPG

The shock towers seem to be made of aluminium. Nice and tough!

_DSC0292.JPG

I like the minimal parallelogram steering setup

_DSC0293.JPG

suspension arms nice and beefy, as are the dogbones and turnbuckles. CVDs would have been nice!

_DSC0294.JPG

Beefy hub carriers

_DSC0295.JPG

• Like 1

Been reading about rod end issuse the same as the buggy, I think waiting for a used one might be the plan for me then see about a leopard 4 pole sticking in there if people are having no problems fitting 380 motors thats what I would choose.

Si

Yep to be fare I would put them on any way, the only way to see is keep watching reviews and see how it holds up, some are complaining of the screws being made of cheese and rounding off too easily also, only time will tell

Si

Haven't had to do any wrenching yet so can't speak to the cheesy screws.

I've a set of 4 FTX Vantage rears coming in for bashing, so I can keep the stock wheels for 'Sunday Best'

Hi Guys 

So i picked up my Mini 8ight T yesterday and took it out for a run this morning, I slapped in the stock battery and ran it round the garden, left it to cool down for a couple of hours while i took the wife shopping. When i came home in went the 3s 11.1v and ran it up and down the street for a few fast passes

Hi Guys 

So i picked up my Mini 8ight T yesterday and took it out for a run this morning, I slapped in the stock battery and ran it round the garden, left it to cool down for a couple of hours while i took the wife shopping. When i came home in went the 3s 11.1v and ran it up and down the street for a few fast passes

Definitely needs dropping to 11t or 10t even if using 3s. I am wondering why losi dont include the pinions with the truggy it would save alot of messing about and potential damage in the long run?

I just need them to be out abit longer to pick one up that might need a new motor, you know some one will sell it instead of replace the motor ;)

Si

Edited by silone74

Well the e-tailers have jacked the prices up since launch date. Guess they wouldn't do that unless there was demand for it.

With no 10t pinion in the box, you won;t need to wait long for a frustrated owner and a burned out motor!!!

Definitely needs dropping to 11t or 10t even if using 3s. I am wondering why losi dont include the pinions with the truggy it would save alot of messing about and potential damage in the long run?

I just need them to be out abit longer to pick one up that might need a new motor, you know some one will sell it instead of replace the motor ;)

Si

Been thinking along the same lines but then I read the 380 don't fit unless you cut the centre brace grind the chassis out a little and loose the pinion guard? Sounds just like to much faffle to me

Been thinking along the same lines but then I read the 380 don't fit unless you cut the centre brace grind the chassis out a little and loose the pinion guard? Sounds just like to much faffle to me

Yes. There's a lip on the pinion guard that covers the motor plate will need to be trimmed, and the clearance under the motor is 1.6mm on the verniers, so I little will need shaving off the plate, but that's not too much bother. It will be a much better fit for this size vehicle though, and when you consider that the dry weight of a M8T is about 20% less than that of a MERV, it should really shift with the Velineon. I used to own a MERV and this thing handles much better because of the wide track.

N

Neighbour just brought round a box of bits I ordered from Modelsport, including the FTX Vantage rear wheels. Here she is with new shoews on. They a few mm narrower and smaller in diameter than the stock wheels, which should help the motor out a little.

_DSC0302.JPG

• Like 2

I would buy second hand and experiment with maybe shimming the motor mount, as long as the centre shaft doesn't get too much of an angle it might work and give the little extra clearance needed for a 28mm motor, a nice milling job done on the chassis would be better than the grinding method also.

Si

Grass seems to be a big issue as it is with the buggy, the truggy should handle it but the motor size plays a big part it is too small to cope with the drag on grass, it seems losi only tested on compact dirt tracks that had not much resistance and in there wisdom thought every one would only ever run on hard tracks why would any one want to drive on grass lol, although it gets repeated you shouldn't have to swap the motor I think it is the only sure way if it fits to control temps when running on anything other than a hard surface. A heat sink on the motor might drop the temps slightly and the small fans could help but it still won't stop the strain on the motor.

Si