• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Mini 8ight-T arrived today

ninjagaiden

I ordered the towers from Modelsport when ordering the pinion, I rang the ordering in and was taking to the guys on the phone and they said they had one in so I though sod it and its on its way lol   

Be interested to see how you get on with the 10t pinion. The guys on RCtech all seem to run on hard packed dirt tracks rather than grass, but they are getting OK temps with the 10t on 2S lipos.

I might just convert my mini 8ight to a truggy again, I was able to run it on a 16t pinion with a 2s lipo without any heat issues! Was also a lot faster then my losi 8ight t 2.0

OK. Quick update from me.

My Velineon 380 motor arrived today, together with a 16t 48dp 3.2mm shaft pinion.

I stripped out the old motor, had to lever the pinion off, and fitted the Velineon to the motor mount. Tried dropping it into the chassis and it was nowhere near fitting. So I got my sandpaper and file out and spent about 2 hours slowly removing material off the chassis plate. Eventually the motor squeezed in but with the 16t pinion I could not set the mesh to my liking - either the motor is not sitting straight in the mount, or the 48DP pinion won't mesh with the 0.5 mod spur, or both! Also with the 16t pinion on there is not much room for lateral adjustment to set the pinion mesh.

So I have to wait for my 0.5 mod pinion set to arrive from the U,S of A before I can proceed, which is probably going to be another week!

Edited by ninjagaiden

You can get pinions from here that are pretty good, abit pricey but good pinions and a good size selection

http://www.smartteknik.se/uk/pinongear/pinion-for-3-2-mm-shaft-1.html

Have you got any vernier to get an exact measurement of the motor I can then check the lc racing and leopard motor to compare, I know there all 28mm cans but some are slightly bigger.

Si

Edited by silone74

You can get pinions from here that are pretty good, abit pricey but good pinions and a good size selection

http://www.smartteknik.se/uk/pinongear/pinion-for-3-2-mm-shaft-1.html

Have you got any vernier to get an exact measurement of the motor I can then check the lc racing and leopard motor to compare, I know there all 28mm cans but some are slightly bigger.

Si

It is 28.1mm on the verniers. I am worried that I won;t have room on the motor mount to mesh with the stock spur gear, and I won;t know until my pinions arrive. The M8 has a smaller stock spur, which gives a bit more room to set the mesh.

Are there any other 26mm cans around at the moment?

The perfect motors are no longer produced, I have one in my m8 they are 26mm castle cm26 if you can find one now get it, I have tge 6800kv and it is fast on a 14t pinion but they are hard to come by.

I can't think of any others I might be wrong but het motors are 26mm but I am not sure if they are available now either?

Si

Well I'm really cheesed off at the moment. There's nothing I can do to progress my build right now, and even getting things like the mod 0.5 spurs and pinions seems hard unless you are in the US.

I am now thinking I will leave the losi box stock for use with a NiMH pack until I go to the US in September, and then pick up a load of parts. One thing I might look for is a motor heatsink that fits on the stock motor.

I actually ordered an EMB-1 kit which was going cheap, and I think I'll used the velineon motor for that.

I know there 24mm motors but the 4 poles on the same site as the pinions I linked to are pretty good and would run cooler being 4 pole, I run the 2838 in my emb I will measure it properly when i get a chance

http://www.smartteknik.se/uk/brushless-motors/

Si

Edited by silone74

Much better news today!

I was having a look at my EMB-1  kit and I saw that it comes with 3 pinions. A quick google search showed that the EMB-1 also uses mod 0.5 gears, but the default motor is a 380 can with a 3.2mm shaft.

So I took the smallest pinion from the EMB1 kit and fitted it to the velineon. I took some time to set the mesh and line up the motor mount. It just works with the stock spur! The 380 motor size means that it is pulling on the motor mount, so it's best to tighten the top bolt first.

With the mod 0.5 pinion the mesh runs much more smoothly.

I then tried the top plate and gear cover and was surprised to see that they went on without needing any sanding down. Even the lip of the gear cover sits on the Velineon motor!

This weekend I will swap out the ESC and see how it goes. 17t pinion, 60t spur at 4000kv with slightly smaller wheels should be perfect for 2s lipo.

I also have a nice shiny new EMB-1 kit to build up - might take it with me on holiday as everything I need including oils and grease is in the box.

I'll try and get some macro pictures for the M8T motor install up for you guys soon.

• Like 2

OOOOH Well its all gone wrong tonight !!! 

4th time out and it started with the cars AVC not running well. I picked the car up of the floor and when you moved it left to right the wheels moved but the motor kicked in at full speed and when centred they stopped

Dropped in my X-Car 45A ESC today with hte Velineon motor and gave it a quick run in the back garden

Difference is like night and day!

The pinion is bigger than I would like but it still picks up the truggy and flings it along on a 2200Mah 2S 40c MERV sized pack.

There's no cogging either. There was enough torque that the The front wheels were starting to lift. Unfortunately the set screw on the pinion started to back out as it wasn't tightened down with loctite.

Edited by ninjagaiden

OOOOH Well its all gone wrong tonight !!! 

4th time out and it started with the cars AVC not running well. I picked the car up of the floor and when you moved it left to right the wheels moved but the motor kicked in at full speed and when centred they stopped

Dropped in my X-Car 45A ESC today with hte Velineon motor and gave it a quick run in the back garden

Difference is like night and day!

The pinion is bigger than I would like but it still picks up the truggy and flings it along on a 2200Mah 2S 40c MERV sized pack.

There's no cogging either. There was enough torque that the The front wheels were starting to lift. Unfortunately the set screw on the pinion started to back out as it wasn't tightened down with loctite.

Glad you've got yours sorted, you'll have to post some pics soon, then I can mod mine up.

At the moment mine is looking a bit sorry for itself ha ha  :shockingscary:

I got the pinion back on mine, and set up my gymkhana track in the back garden, that I normally use for my DEX410.

I can tell you this, the chassis of the M8T is absolutely dialled in. Even though I have more power in my 410, I can lap my Gymkhana track quicker on the M8T with the velineon motor fitted, and 2S power.

Also after a 5 minute blast the motor temp was a respectable 31.8C, and it's 24C outside at the moment. I'll stick a 380 size heatsink in there at some point and stop worrying about motor temps. Also my Novak pinions have arrived so I sill probably fit a smaller pinion to get that 'demented terrier' type of acceleration I like in a mini.

They really need to do a roller chassis of the M8T. You can see all the stuff that's been written about the leccy bits (and the nasty AViCii business that Chris had), but the chassis itself is definitely a keeper!

A roller or even a kit version would be cool.

I'd be very tempted by a kit myself.

If i could find a roller or a kit i'd have one tomorrow but im just not willing to fork out on there crap electrics to just remove them and bin 'em