• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

whats a good quality lipo battery

nemo#1

From the 3s' I've used:

Nanotechs good for the money but have heard stories of them going bad quite quickly (not seen it).

Turnigy standard are okay for low drain applications - you can hear the difference in my plane between those and the overlander (admittedly they are 5c less discharge rate)

Zippy's seem good, no problems although the two I have had are both weird shapes.

Overlander seems to be pretty good (should be for price - double a turnigy), possibly the best out of all the one's I've had.

ok,thanks guys,can you damage the batterys if your only using half throttle or lower end throttle,like I said its all new to me lol,I would rather spend a couple more quid and have good quality batts,thanks again guys

ok,thanks guys,can you damage the batterys if your only using half throttle or lower end throttle,like I said its all new to me lol,I would rather spend a couple more quid and have good quality batts,thanks again guys

You won't damage the batteries, but the esc won't like you much- they are more efficient at full throttle, partial throttle warms them up nice & quick...

I wouldn't recommend jumping into 3s lipos straight away though, not ideal for anything other than massive open spaces and drag racing pretty much- you'd be much better off with a couple 2s lipos and get used to the power first.

• Like 1

Personally for me over the range of brands I've used, I think Overlander make the best quality battery.

The downside is you pay for it, being pricey.

If it was my money I'd just opt for Nano-Techs, they do what they say on the tin for a lot less cost.

As Neil said, try it on 4s (they're pretty nuts) and get used to it.

Nothing like nitro power delivery wise :)

Turnigy blue lipos give decent power and last a reasonable amount of time. Turnigy nano techs give good power but seem to start loosing punch after 30 ish cycles Zippys are much like the turnigy blues. Gens ace are good solid packs that give good punch and power and seem to last a long time. Optipower give very good power and punch but they seem to die around 150 cycles or 14 months. Thunderpower are the best packs I've ever used, more punch for longer and the best power of any pack I've used. My oldest packs are over 400 cycles now and still produce decent power for smooth 3d. All this is from helicopter use, the packs take a huge beating compared to cars.

Overlanders are amazing from my short experience of lipos.. I bought the new overlander 45c constant 80c burst and it's stupidly fast with my 120a esc and 3.5t motor. Big flat open space required.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-lipo-battery-pack-5000mah-2s-7.4v-45c-ultrasport/rc-car-products/380287

Best investment I've made.!

They do a s3 also.

i have 4 packs of 2s hard case genace 5000mah roar approved 65c discharge rate,

and to be honest i have short circuit them quite a few times and broke ones case aswell but they are still there doing there job.

true value for the money my friend.

How have you broken the case?

well u won't believe i ran into a 5b onroad,

both on  full throttle like good 500 feet away and everyone around were like oooooooooooooooooooooooh,

went to the scene  and found just a little crack on one of three hardcase i had on and the on/off switch was squished...thats all...

mt4-g3 is a beast in terms of taking a hit...

nothing really happened to the 5b just minor scratches because of the tumble she took.