• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

grrrrr can't start my baja

After changing the head gasket in my hpi baja i can't get it to start. There is fuel and it has a spark but won't fire up.so now I'm stuck. Before i take it to the model shop i was wondering if I'm missing something simple..

your help please...

All lined up with the pin on the piston at the intake. I'm really not sure what's wrong. It's in the back of my truck at the moment so when I finish work I will take it to the model shop. The guy in the shop claims he's a baja wizz so this will test him.

I was hoping I could sort it out but I tried all of the above and will not run so it's beyond me.

If worst case if will up grade to a new engine but would rather not until this on is knackered.

its a simple weedeater engine ( way back yonder times we modded weed eaters to fit in airplanes )

here is my guestimate on problem. 

during the re-build you somehow got distracted, you think you put the gasket on right

but what you have done its flipside it. its rotated 90 degree and now covers the inlet/outlet port.

more find the inlet if it wont fire up.

take of the carb, just from the barrel unit and have a peek down, roll engine down to BDC ( bottom dead center )

and slowly rotate upto TDC (top dead center ) you should if you crank around into a funny pos be able to see the glint of the piston ring/postion

as it passes and closes the inlet port, if not just whip of the head n barrel ( i advise carb and exhaust is removed on re-builds, it allows you to seat the head and barrel correct )

and make sure the gasket is seated correct, has not been split or damaged, then replace barrel and head, pop exhaust and carb back on.

check for spark, rest plug against engine head and pull it over you should have a nice bright blue sparker. tic tic tic tic tic.

pop a very small drop of fuel into the head ( twostoke oil cap, pop juice in untill it just covers bottom of lid, tip this into engine head)

replace sparkie and kick the engine over, that small amount of fuel should help kick the engine suck the carb and blow the exhaust

and fire up

• Like 1

Make sure the fuel line are connected, fuel feed to bottom of carb,

Return to top of carb next to primer bulb

Won't run if wrong way round

Edited by marder

well after a visit to the model shop today I've found out that i have scored the chamber and not getting any compression/vacume to pull the fuel through the fuel and thats the cause of the non runner. Also I've found out that i have 7 fins missing on the flywheel so the guy said that this might of caused extra vibration on the engine and the might of caused the head bolt to come loose  :confused:

He suggested that i could re sleeve it and buy a new flywheel but i thought is to upgrade to a 4 bolt bigger engine so now I'm looking for a new power plant.