• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TRAXXAS slash 4x4 ESC burnt out...

stickyr6

I really didn't want my first post to be a negative one but hey ho,

So I bought my Slash 4x4 on here off a top lad (samdzharov) running all standard gearing and Lipo 2s,

After a few good bashes with no issues I decided to up grade to 3s so bought a Turnigy Zippy 5000mah 3s 11.1v 30-40c hard case battery,

First run out today lasted 15 mins and the car stopped, Motor and ESC was hot, ESC has a fan on it but clearly not cooling it enough, so I let the car sit a cool a while, next thing thick black smoke came from under the ESC, I unplugged the battery and it stopped.. Gutted!!!

So I'm at a loss now, have both ESC and motor burnt out?

Was putting the 3s' to much for the VXL-3s system?

Do I buy new or try and send off to TRAXXAS? If I buy new again do I go back to 2s?

I run with friends who have Hyper 7's so I just wanted my Slash to keep up with them, sorry for all the questions, would just like to be pointed in the right direction and to see where i went wrong.

Thanks..

Chris!

like stretch has said sc8 combo or just the sc8 and a different motor.

may mate runs a sc8 wp esc and tenshock 5200kv motor and that thing fly`s along and if you go 3s again drop the pinion sizer atleast two teeth as that was why both got hot 

• Like 1

I've had my slash 2 years and still on the original vel spec - I changed the pinion to 16 and temps been good on 3s. I was expecting it to go, but it keeps on going...

The combo recommended was what I heard everyone saying so would be my choice, it must be a trusted replacement.

• Like 1

That's unlucky with the Vxl-3s esc but as you bought it second hand you don't know what previous use etc it had.

It's just luck with them tbh I've had some like Didski which have lasted for a good year on 2s and 3s with no problems, then others which have just packed up right from the start.

Going for one of the Wp Sc8 combos is a good upgrade over the standard system.

If you haven't already you should defo invest in a temperture gun so you can monitor your temps more accurately and get the gearing correct.

Good luck.

Thanks.

• Like 1