• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bit of e bay advice

Veed79

Sorry to bring up the dreaded eBay again, but just needed a bit of advice with regards on how long to wait till re listing or putting in claim for non payment.

Basically I sold an item for

Been in the same situation before, due to the time lapsed you should be able to open a non payment case now so do that, if he doesn't pay you'll get your fees back and he'll get a non payment strike.

If you relist without doing a case you'll be charged the original listing fees and he can still leave negative feedback.

Edited by stretch

Yeah that was my worry with re listing is him leaving feedback out of spite, not worried about the fees as it was a free listing its more the time it takes, as if I go the non payment route il have to wait to see if he's gonna pay before I can re list so gonna add another week, but I guess that's better than getting bad feedback.

Its weird as he's got all good feedback saying quick payment but apart from this and one other item day before mine he hasn't bought on eBay for at least a year? And he seemed genuine enough in original message.

Yeah I guess so, and suppose it stops the feedback worry might send one more message to say that he's not helping by ignoring me, I understand something could have happened but can't wait forever and if that falls on deaf ears then il do non payment.

Rule one! Never give out your address if the buyer appears to act a bit odd/time wasting.

You should of said please call me on ________ to arrange collection and take it from there.

If you hear nothing withing 2-7 days then you can mark the payment as not received - Ebay will then remind him he needs to cough up.If it's last wendesday thats a week tomorrow.Hit the payment not received button now :good:

It's pretty simple,if he can message you saying he wants a postcode,then he should tell you when he can collect rather then beat around the bush.

Ebay also have an option to request buyers and sellers details.If he is pratting around request his contact details and eBay will email you them.The buyer will however be notified that you have requested them,

Final soulation would be to cancel the transaction,mark the payment as not recieved and you will be entitled to the insertion fee refund.

As a back up,relist it now.It's not harm and you have to remember the auction is 7 days before it ends.This gives the buyer another 7 days to pay.If he pays end the other auction.If he doesnt you'll have a new buyer waiting for it :)

Ps: Don't forget eBay have a block bidder option.You can block him from future listings you have.Previously i have come across the odd idiot and by blocking them they could not leave feedback,however i think with the new rules etc,they can still leave it even being blocked.

Edited by 53HRA

Yeah I hear ya on the address thing, but I only have him my postcode so he doesn't know my full address but at that point he wasn't acting strange he's just now chose to ignore me. Although like you say its been 7 days now so going to send a message tonight saying if its not paid for by the morning I'm going to mark it as unpaid and re list. Cheers guys

Right, he emailed back last night and said that he went away over bank holiday and then someone reversed into his car and he couldn't collect and can he just leave it, now if its all true that's fair enough but my auction offered postage so he could have paid for that and he could have let me know. So I'm going to put in an unpaid item claim as I think if I hadn't messaged him he wouldn't have bothered and its annoyed me he ignored the postage option, also if I just re listed I don't trust him not to leave bad feedback.

You're doing the right thing. No way of telling if he's being honest or not but if he is, like you say he could have had it posted, he won it, it's his responsibility.

No reason why you should lose money even if it was just bad luck about his car.

also if he changes his mind.  make sure if he collects the item he pays in cash.  as he could take a paypal payment back.  as there would be no proof of postage.

Next sale add the folloing to the description.

Payment to be made within 48 hours of winning bid or item will be relisted and buyer reported for none payment..

PS,dont hang about report the buyer now,yes he will have a few days to get in touch with you if not then ebay will ban him...

Right I opened a case on him this morning as in his email last night he just said

'I had a minor accident someone reversed into my car I can't collect so I will leave it'

Now that may be true but he avoided my earlier questions on payment so I refused to believe that happened also there was a postage option so he could opt for that, and il just leave it with no apology was a bit off.

Anyway he messaged today shouting and moaning about why I opened a case when 'he told me he didn't want the item' it was a car wheel with a brand new tyre on and he said he didn't need it anymore as someone crashed into his car.

I explained to him that I didn't believe him as he avoided payment questions ignored messages and now has changed his reasons for not wanting the item, I then said I don't think he ever intended to pay.

He replied with a bit of a sob story about bad luck with the car loosing house keys and other stuff and that he intended to pay cash and not mess me about and that I could of just cancelled the transaction to get all my fees refunded.

I could of done that and it may be possible that he's telling the truth but from what I've read if I cancel the transaction or change the unpaid item to cancelled transaction he can still leave negative feedback out of spite which seems to happen a lot? So as it stands I've left the upi case open so he can't leave feedback as that's the bit that bothers me.

Next sale add the folloing to the description.

Payment to be made within 48 hours of winning bid or item will be relisted and buyer reported for none payment..

PS,dont hang about report the buyer now,yes he will have a few days to get in touch with you if not then ebay will ban him...

Yep every time I list I always mean to put this in but seem to end up forgetting, but yep ya right good point.

Sounds like bull to me.

If the sob story was true,he would be genuine about what's happened and be sorry for not being able to purchase.A very decent person would even offer to pay the few pence it cost for your listing fee as a way to compensate the messing around.

I personally think he was in two minds about buying in the first place,hence avioding the payment questions at the start.

I've seen it all on eBay,from buyers travelling 200 miles and stopping for cuppa whilst collecting an item,to buyers that tell me brand new items that have no electrical components are having electrical faults  :rolleyes:

Edited by 53HRA

He did offer to pay the listing fee of 35pence but that was only after loads of messages and after the upi case was open as he was trying to get me to close it, he's still messaging me now asking me to cancel it saying he won't leave bad feedback, but I'd have to take his word for it which I'm not happy doing, as said if he had been a bit more genuine in the beginning I wouldn't have done it.

Finish what you started :)

You didn;t force him to bid, and as he won the item...it's a done deal...that's he's trying to worm out of. Stick with the case, let E-Bay resolve it, and he can't give you bad feedback.

People really shouldn't bid on stuff if they don't want it, and if you do.....then you take the consequences.

• Like 1

Fair enough good points made,makes you laugh he ignored my messages in the first place but as soon as I open a case he hasn't stopped messaging me to remove it,guess if he's that adamant I've been too harsh he can take it up with eBay and appeal to them about removing the strike, he can say he's not going to leave feedback until he's blue in the face but I've never met him so can't be sure and as you say once its left there's nothing I can do.

If he leaves neg feedback then leave a response so when people view your feedback they'll see what occurred.

This time next year they'll probably be marked as "No longer registered" anyway and when that happens it always tickles me.

If he leaves neg feedback then leave a response so when people view your feedback they'll see what occurred.

This time next year they'll probably be marked as "No longer registered" anyway and when that happens it always tickles me.

Never realised you could leave a response learn something new everyday.

I still can't believe they allow buyers to leave feedback for a cancelled transaction.

You can also have their feedback comment removed, i recently done it on feedback an upset seller left for me after they got neutral. The comment they left had nothing whatsoever to do with the transaction though.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this up again guys thought it was sorted, so I left it as it was and kept the unpaid item case open and didn't give in to his requests to close. I was also advised this by eBay and was assured by them that once I close the case and mark as unpaid he will not be able to leave feedback, so I closed and marked as unpaid as told to do so and now he's managed to leave negative feedback how's that happened as I was assured once closed he could not leave it? Could he have kicked up a stink his end?

He's basically saying I was uncooperative that he had an accident and couldn't collect but item had a postage option?

Now I've got 1 neg feedback out of 250 transactions.