• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

what got you into rc?

kiza1208

Late starter

My son wanted a proper Rc car rather than ones you get from Argos like he normally got. so one christmas I got him one then he want to race it so found local club and went a long and I just sat there for a few weeks while he races then decided to get a car rather than just sit there 3 months later he gave up

4 Cars 3 years later still at it and love it wish I started years ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A cracked sternum in Jan 2012. I was going stir crazy and started looking at rc stuff online. Decided I had to have one so headed to Abergavenny and bought a DT-02 Holiday Buggy. Found this forum and that was that, see my sig for details lol

I can still remember the first time I saw RC cars, it was at a local race track. I was hooked and knew i HAD to get one.  And i did well not 1 you guys know how it is you cannot just get one.

It was the mid 80's and my mate's dad had a Tamiya Boomerang, i never got a shot of it but i thought it was amazing. I then took a real liking to the Thunder Dragon but sadly never got one. My first hobby grade rc was The Grasshopper 2. Think i will have to get me a Thunder Dragon.

• Like 1

I was given a second-hand Wild Willy when I was a kid (25+ years ago). 15 minutes runtime wooo...

It has always been in the back of my mind and when I heard about the developments of LiPo and brushless, I got back into it and it went on from there :)

Edited by Rossyra

Being a massive petrolhead and car nut, my parents couldnt afford to send me racing, they got me rc cars instead. 1st being a tamiya buggy, then a ta01 and it progressed from there. I went away from rc cars when i was old enough to have a real car but i still had them for a bit of fun with a hyper 7 and a kyosho merc nitro 2wd touring car.

I cant afford to track real cars and ive got the bug for racing again so rc cars it is. Still got competitiveness aswell as fun and not the expense of 1/1 cars

When I was a teenager I remember going into Beaties and wondering what it would be like to have a go with a buggy. This carried on for a while and then my parents came into a bit of money and I was allowed one special treat. I got a Tamiya Thunder Dragon if my memory serves me correctly.

Then I found out about the RC club than ran in my secondary school Hall once a week and I went to that, was a bit different to how things are now! All sorts from sponsored drivers to people like me with zero budget, but everyone help everyone out and it was a great club to belong to. My dad even started racing as he'd had to give up oval racing. We did that for a few years but the club and it's members changed and the community spirit disappeared, so we gave up as we couldn't afford it and there is no enjoyment racing people who don't care what the break or damage.

That was 20 odd years ago and then I had to give up power kites as I had alot of back problems and land based kiting was dead. My mate brought a tamiya lunchbox and then fished his old nitro buggy out the back of his garage, I saw it and thought I've got to give it a go again.

So here I am, 3 months of learning about new technology and starting off in the wrong direction with the wrong type of kit here I am. Now I know what I want from it I'm starting to enjoy it again, not just using but the whole thing building repair and doing research to get the right parts.

For me, I once got a RC plane for Christmas, and it crashed, so I got another for my 12th birthday.... and my dad crashed it.

Then I got fed up and left RC planes. After a while I got a job washing dishes at a pub Saturday night (literally, up to 11:00pm),

Was always into toy cars, had a couple of basic remote/radio control cars as a kid.

When I was 14 my Physics teacher asked if anyone wanted to stay after school for "Electronics Club".  That turned out to be watching him sliding his Rough Rider round the teachers car park.  But we all got a go and then it was a slippery slope...

My first ever RC got me hooked. I'm trying to find out what it was!

All I remember is that it was a yellow buggy (1/10 scale, or similar), battery inserted from the bottom, 9.6v, smiley faces on the spotlamps, and a switch (red, I think) to alternate between slow and fast modes. "Slow" took off like a rocket and "fast" had poor acceleration and a high top speed. Went like stink it did!

Anyone??