• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

oodboo's Mog

It's slow going. I've painted the black parts and so far done about 5 coats on the body. I can only get the time to do one or two coats at a time. and even then they are days apart. I'm hoping to get a few more coats done to finish the paint off this week. Then I need some decals on it. I'm guessing it'll be ready towards the end of next week. Then I'll get to run it :)

I'm hoping one can is enough but it's still pretty thin in places after about 5 coats. Seems the paint doesn't like going into the corners very. I done my last coat too think and it started running in places, I'm just hoping I haven't ruined it. Can't really tell until it's finished and the over spray film removed.

Couple of small mods while I'm waiting to get the shell finished off.

Trimmed the bits off the C hubs for more steering travel:

484425BD-A9B0-45AF-B84C-686620DF15EA_zps

Filed out some plastic as something was catching when turning left:

0411489D-1D57-4306-B58D-BC918C0339D7_zps

This has significantly reduced the turning circle without costing a penny. I've read the GPM steering links don't take out all the slop in the steering so I'm not going to bother replacing it until something breaks as I can't see much in the way of performance improvement from it.

So all I want now is to get the body finished and some new wheels and it'll be good to go.

Dude to cure the slop in GPM steering is to add some longer screws, and add some red threadlock or instant bond. I now have no slope or play in my GPM system :)

yup. same here mine feels excellent with good steering lock too :thumbsup:

Ok maybe I will go for the gpm kit but not yet. I'm at least going to run it first.

In other news I finished painting the body and have spent most of the day at work cutting out and badly applying decals. Look closely and it's not great but it's good enough for me. Also didn't do a very good job with the masking so there's some extra spots of black that I didn't want but hey ho, it's a learning curve and I'm sure I'll do a better job next time.

Photos tomorrow when I get the rest of the stickers I want on there.

One thing I noticed when putting it all together is the screws that hold the sub body to the main body are made of a particularly soft cheese. The screws dell use to hold their laptops together are a perfect fit though and I've got loads of them in the office.

I hadn't seen that one from radshape, looks good. I could go mad with it and spend loads on bits and pieces for it but this RC is for entertaining kids so I think I'm just going to keep it stock and make it more fun. I have plans for making it more fun.