• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Turnigy SCT owners thread (including Desert Racing buggy & Kyosho Ultima)

16 minutes ago, 300bhp/ton said:

run mine on 2S as well with a Tsky 120A ESC and a Goolrc sensored 4100kv 8.5T motor. It runs very well. And the handling is very good. It also drifts and power slides lovely on loose surfaces!

That's a great setup for these turnigy 2wd rigs

I used a orca vx3 ( can't remember amp spec) set to 4k pwm, with a dynamite 7.5 motor

It was just too much for it I think

13 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

I grabbed one of these to go with it https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-4000kv-80a.html 

Also got some spring steel drive cups, CVD's and most of the available ally bits. I may also knock up some ally reinforcement plates for a couple of areas. 

same setup i have in mine, all the power it needs imo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Drive cups and CVD's turned up today, so I've finally gotten the gearbox together and fitted.

Comparison between stock (black) and Basher drive cups

41028505472_c38e7cc504_c.jpg

CVD's

40177480585_5008c9e592_c.jpg

For whatever reason you can't 100% tighten the diff lid down without causing the diff to bind and with no o-ring this means no oil :( unless you add a bit of secret sauce ;)

26200282037_a8b9b075d5_c.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys been looking at this on hobbyking uk.

I need help lol

I would like to install a 3s capable system in this ( just incase i want to run 3s lipos occassionally) something that would reach around 40mph on tarmac doing straight runs!

Mostly would be fields though on 2s

I know some of the stock parts are poor, it would be great if some kind soul could link me some upgrade parts at the same time!!

What would be a good choice? Lower end price tag ofcourse!

Any help would be apprieciated!

1 hour ago, riz-trucksta said:

Hey guys been looking at this on hobbyking uk.

I need help lol

I would like to install a 3s capable system in this ( just incase i want to run 3s lipos occassionally) something that would reach around 40mph on tarmac doing straight runs!

Mostly would be fields though on 2s

I know some of the stock parts are poor, it would be great if some kind soul could link me some upgrade parts at the same time!!

What would be a good choice? Lower end price tag ofcourse!

Any help would be apprieciated!

Hobbyking sell most the upgrades for these on the turnigy section.

I personally wouldn't got to 3s with these, they're just not reliable enough, you'll be forever ordering parts....

If you did want to go 3s, try a small can motor like one of the gool rc 3650 combos (about £23), and try to aim for a higher kV ( around 4300-5800) to cut down on the torque

Its not the diff that can't handle it, there actually fairly decent for such a cheap rig, its everything else bolted to the chassis lmao....

If it was me I'd go for a pro level 2s setup that's used, you can find lrp flow escs for under £50 and lrp x series motors for £20....that way you can hit 40 on road and just go straight to off road bashing without worrying about changing batts over etc etc.....a good spec 2s setup will outperform a poop 3s system 

Just my opinion of course...

Thanks for the input!!

I have checking out speed controllers and motors...sent my head spinning. Its all so confusing!

Its honestly putting me off.. i understand its part of the hobby! I just cant get my head round it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had the 2WD SCT for some time now it got used a lot then for some reason I put it up out the way for a good 2 years ? now I've stripped and cleaned it and is looking nearly new but the shell has had a hard life and what a new one but hobbyking don't have any clear ones in stock has anyone used a different shell on there's? 

On 01/08/2018 at 08:44, RC4WD fan said:

I've had the 2WD SCT for some time now it got used a lot then for some reason I put it up out the way for a good 2 years ? now I've stripped and cleaned it and is looking nearly new but the shell has had a hard life and what a new one but hobbyking don't have any clear ones in stock has anyone used a different shell on there's? 

Pretty much any of the Proline SCT shells will fit.

3 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

Pretty much any of the Proline SCT shells will fit.

I thought so ? I've just got a sct body of ebay with the 10% off and the sellers discount the shell worked out to be around the £10 mark so if it doesn't work/fit no big deal ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

I thought so ? I've just got a sct body of ebay with the 10% off and the sellers discount the shell worked out to be around the £10 mark so if it doesn't work/fit no big deal ?

Mind sharing? I need a new one for mine, it's getting a tad battered lol.

New here and first post-have 2 of these 2wd SCT's and have had problems getting either to run reliably-spur gears made of butter being the main culprit.Pinion setting perfect,just junk plastic gears. Has anyone found a metal replacement?  I thought of trying an ECX metal spur made for the Ruckus (I have one of these too,and it was a major weak spot until replaced with a US made metal spur). And one of mine could use a new body soon. Have found the CVD replacement on Hobbykings site but Global only so point going down that route,have ordered several times from there and it got here ok,but an expensive option,any one know of a CVD set from something else they KNOW fits?  Am running mine on 2s only and 3300kv/3100kv so not overly stressed,as said many times on this thread good fun but fragile .........dfo never 3s!!

10 hours ago, OllieNZ said:

Mind sharing? I need a new one for mine, it's getting a tad battered lol.

This is the one I got to try it Here  says it's 1/8 scale but the measurements are about right if I've measured it right ? 

Edited by RC4WD fan

2 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

This is the one I got to try it Here  says it's 1/8 scale but the measurements are about right if I've measured it right ? 

Looks about right. 1/10 SCTs are pretty much identical in wheelbase and track width to an 1/8 buggy.

15 hours ago, pegleg said:

New here and first post-have 2 of these 2wd SCT's and have had problems getting either to run reliably-spur gears made of butter being the main culprit.Pinion setting perfect,just junk plastic gears. Has anyone found a metal replacement?  I thought of trying an ECX metal spur made for the Ruckus (I have one of these too,and it was a major weak spot until replaced with a US made metal spur). And one of mine could use a new body soon. Have found the CVD replacement on Hobbykings site but Global only so point going down that route,have ordered several times from there and it got here ok,but an expensive option,any one know of a CVD set from something else they KNOW fits?  Am running mine on 2s only and 3300kv/3100kv so not overly stressed,as said many times on this thread good fun but fragile .........dfo never 3s!!

There was a guy in the states making metal spurs, don't know if he's still doing them. How are you setting the mesh? I've put goodness knows how many packs through mine and the spur is still good. Are you still using the stock brass pinion?

Unfortunately the only CVDs I'm aware of are the ones from hobby king. It'd be worth picking up a set of the hardened drive cups at the same time.

• Like 1

I think this is an alu spur for it : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/82T-Aluminum-Spur-Gear-for-Turnigy-Kyosho-1-10-Desert-Racing-Buggy-Ultima-series/131648520363?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649  The Kyosho Ultima something (RB6?) is the same thing if you are looking for a second source of parts.

I've only killed one spur and I was rock crawling with it with the slipper tightened right up so wasn't surprised.  Set the slipper correctly and don't do full throttle landings and it should last.  I also killed a diff (just goes tight and clicky when assembled.. can't find why) but as parts are so cheap and the handling is so good I find it great fun to drive.  I just need to work out why the Xcelorin system in the second one refuses to pull away at any pace, even on 3S.

• Thanks 1

The new body wheels showed up ? image.jpg the body did need trimming in a couple of places but for the price I'm more than happy with it ? just need a BL system now then it's good to go ?

• Like 2

Saying that the spur gears were made of butter was wrong. I should have said peanut brittle;the teeth have simply snapped off on several gears.I don.t know if I bought a duff batch. I learned how to set gear mesh when I served my engineering apprenticeship~and have been messing with RC cars since the 70s. I am fairly new to slipper clutches.but have set mine according to the manual ha ha as well wheel camber and toe in. I have upped the pinions to 21T to reduce the kick on acceleration too.

There is a very useful thread over on RCGroups on the SCT;I have followed their advice and rebuilt the shocks with 6mm of silicone tube on the insides;which reduces ride height and gives the dogbones an easier time;but they still fall out  now and again; no not worn out; both cars have less than 30 minutes running time despite being a couple of years old and are like new. Solution for now is to spray dogbones in primer in the centre followed by Revell flourescent  orange;that way I can find them when they go walkies......

Will order CVDs when funds permit.have spent several months worth of pocket money on 2 crawlers and essential bits so SCTs  low priority! But I thought I;d ask here anyway.they do look good when they run. I really like them;which is why I;m determined to get them working right.

had a go with mine for the first time in 2/3 years ? even if it was only with a brushed 21t motor still had fun ? 

though not as much as I remember having don't know if it's all down to it not being brushless or just don't fill for SCT's anymore ? 

would there much point of putting it up for sale for someone else to enjoy it  ?

Edited by RC4WD fan