• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi LST XXL-2 1/8th Petrol

Nick

The LST is a pretty robust package. I have seen them in action, and there isn't much wrong with them. Makes for a good base to build on.

The issue will be, very much, down to the engine.

A monster truck with feeble performance won't sell unless it's cheap. It doesn;t suit the style.

BUT...

Just becuase we all slap in 5cc+ motors into our nitro trucks doesn't mean they actually NEED them to go well. The old Savage 25s made do with a much smaller motor. First Savage I bought was sporting a .21 motor, and it went just fine.

HPI went for an existing motor and tried to make it work on a car. It wasn't meant to be a car engine, and they had cooling issues etc. Looks to me, though, that Losi have made a new top end for a nitro motor. Revising transfer ports and inlet/exhaust timing would allow them to tune it a bit to suit what;s needed...but it will not have the same power as an equivalent nitro motor.

I really like the idea of this... I just want to see one going!

Yes, But nitro model engine's only run on (20-30)% nitro with the majority of the fuel being made up from methanol (poisonous alcohol), which while nitro methanol (nitro) is noticeably more potent a fuel (since it explodes) rather than burning. Not to mention the fact that there is a lot of oil in nitro fuel that will bog the engine down, if the petrol engine requires less oil performance gains could be made.

Besides would losi really risk there reputation on a lst with a sluggish engine?      I think not.

Don't confuse model fuel with real drag fuel as they are leagues apart it would be like comparing washing up liquid with TNT.

It will be interesting to see this when it comes out. The block of the .31 engines looks just like the block of an lrp zr.32 so i wonder if the engine could be fitted into a savage.

Kudos to losi, it is symbolic of hpi's state recently they are useless. Sure they have previously come out will good kits such as the savage and baja but the vast majority of there line up is rather average.  

Edited by Baja 5b

Yes, But nitro model engine's only run on (20-30)% nitro with the majority of the fuel being made up from methanol (poisonous alcohol), which while nitro methanol (nitro) is noticeably more potent a fuel (since it explodes) rather than burning, methanol is just a very short chain alkane. Not to mention the fact that there is a lot of oil in nitro fuel that will bog the engine down, if the petrol engine requires less oil performance gains could be made.

Besides would losi really risk there reputation on a lst with a sluggish engine?      I think not.

Don't confuse model fuel with real drag fuel as they are leagues apart it would be like comparing washing up liquid with TNT.

It will be interesting to see this when it comes out. The block of the .31 engines looks just like the block of an lrp zr.32 so i wonder if the engine could be fitted into a savage.

Kudos to losi, it is symbolic of hpi's state recently they are useless. Sure they have previously come out will good kits such as the savage and baja but the vast majority of there line up is rather average.  

I hope you're right!

We need more info!!

Al.

I don't know why u all think it's going to be slow. Yes it's a small cc engine but everything else is small and lighter than largescales. Even the engines internals are smaller and lighter meaning the engine should be a lot happier to rev. It won't be a rocket but should be plenty fun !

why are so many people bashing HPI? like HPI maid a memo "right lets try and annoy lots of people on a model car forum, hurt ourselves financially, and tarnish our brand slightly, by not releasing a product thats not ready for whatever reason"

and as for being original , this is basically a lst2 with a petrol engine., not an entirely new platform.

im sure hpi have their reasons for the octane taking so long, and hpi have come out with some real game changers ie savage, baja.

not being a fan boy, i like any brand that makes a fun model, i just dont get the flaming of a decent brand.

• Like 1

i'm failing to see how losi has beaten hpi to making the petrol 1/8th.

neither have videos of their models running

neither have a concrete release date

neither have actually been released.

so losi have a picture of their model looking like its ready to go, doesn't mean it is ready, it shows that they are working on one, for all we know it won't be ready for sale for another 18months.

I've heard (don't quote me though) HPI have a running version of the Octane at this years Nuremberg Toy Fair (still won't see any videos though as they can't run it inside the show grounds) and that it has a release date around April.

Tbh quality wise I'd still go for a Losi, not matter how cool the Savage would be. From reading numerous Baja threads on this forum, their owners seem to spend more time in a shed with the trucks in pieces than actually driving them. Maybe that's just me though :shockingscary:

• Like 1

Tbh quality wise I'd still go for a Losi, not matter how cool the Savage would be. From reading numerous Baja threads on this forum, their owners seem to spend more time in a shed with the trucks in pieces than actually driving them. Maybe that's just me though :shockingscary:

You 5ive drivers just don't bash hard enough :tease:

Nah but all joking aside, I really loved the Savahe 4.6, I had one for a while and it took some good abuse and never broke anything on it.

I just wish HPI hadn't promised us the octane so long ago, if they released the "first" pictures of it like 2 months ago, that would be far more acceptable than like 3 years ago I think the first came out.

Be interesting to put the Losi vs the HPI when they're both released.

Who said a Losi XXL is SMALL and LIGHT?

They weigh 6-7 kg !!

My brushless LST2 - admittedly far from standard spec weighs nearly 10 kg when fully 'wired'!!

Motors pretty well as well.

I'm just curious how Losi can get away with 5cc when HPI want 15cc for the same sized rig.

Al.

Thinking about it they actually do, but it always seems to work when adding a better pipe.

I'm curious as to how open the market will be for pipe choice on this new Losi.

Interesting thought.

I'm sure that void will be filled in no time mate

Looks nice! I love my LST XXL, best monster truck out there...

No mention of dual steering servos though? I wonder if it will ship with a Spectrum DX3s and telemetry, as the original LST XXL did...

EDIT: Just checked, it ships with a Spectrum SRS4200 receiver and DX2E transmitter.

Edited by MoFoHo

Everyone has knocked the idea of supercharging small engines.

How about a small scale turbo - or same problems?

Al.

I have been thinking a lot about this lately, in the crudest way possible for it to work you would need a pressure pipe going onto the fuel tank from the compressor side of the turbo to increase the amount of fuel needed when the turbo is running on boost, plus being an rc vehicle its going to be running flat out 99% of the time so you would def need some sort of intercooler to cool the charged air otherwise it would det and you would put a hole in the top of the piston

RC spares are usually cheaper, they take up lots less space and you can sit in the warm and dry to fix them which beats getting cold and wet on the patio :)

Have 1:1 toys but they make RC look very affordable :thumbsup:

Meanwhile.... glad it's not just me who thinks dinky .31 cube motor is the worrying bit. Wondering just how much poke it's going to have so vids and running reports will be the next big thing

+1 for having 1:1 toys that makes rc seem cheap!

+1 for having 1:1 toys that makes rc seam cheap!

Could this be the future? Could this put a end to expensive unreliable nitro? I like the truck losi, xxl are great trucks and the shocks imo are the best of any 1/8 mt by miles, i cant wait to see and hear it, i do think it will be a screamer, as we all know from 1/5th scale engines the smaller the capacity the higher they rev so i think this should scream, appart from my 1/5 scale stuff i only run brushless now and i havn't run a nitro for quite a few years becuase i think there a pita in genral, but if this turns out to be as good or even better than nitro but without the drawbacks of nitro then ill sell my brushless gear and buy all petrol engine rc's lol, i think this is the way forward for tbh.

That vids madd lol I couldnt have not looked.

I really do like this alot, more and more im thinking losi are the new best rcs around.

The 5cc engine I cant wait to see how that goes and wait for mayb alternatives. Could obr ect think up something?

Im super happy about this one tho as its 1/8 scale and should be within my reach. But $749 will mostly likly transfer over too