• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

"VINTAGE" or "RETRO" r/c owners thread.

Gaz!

Been working on my Losi XXX-4 that my girlfriend got me last summer.

Was in a very sorry state when I got it. Filthy, rusty screws, mis-matched components, siezed diffs and bearings, you name it.

Given it the works- complete rebuilt and scrubbed all the parts in a basin of hot, soapy water using a toothbrush (didn't re-use!), ordered all the parts to sort it, new bearings, serviced diffs, kurust on all screws, new wheels/tyres, new slipper assembly and adjuster, the whole works! Thanks to Si Coe for recommending the tyres- Schumacher blocks. Looks good now! :hahadance:

9bE1kp6.jpg

SWhxfFB.jpg

ZRamAAb.jpg

Just finished the electronics today. Since these photos were taken, she's been fitted with an MRT VX Sport limitless waterproof brushed ESC, Team Orion Core Touring 14x2 brushed motor, Hitec 40mhz radio system and running an Overlander 2s hard-case lipo.

Have a shell sitting, ready to be painted, but not sure I have the skills to do the paint-job I've envisioned, so I'm scared to start!! :shockingscary:

• Like 1

Ever since i finnished the xxcr, i always thought it needed white wheels, as the original yellow ones were died red (by me) and looked poop. When the xxxcr2 arrived, it came with some white wheels, so this was the resulting happy accident.P1030978_zpsaf1dc5d3.jpg

Then i received my 'wheel whore' spec losi 3 spokes after they got sent to the wrong end of the country by mistake. I like them lots. 

P1040002_zpsc4ed957d.jpg

The xx is back on the disc wheels now, and the 3 spokes are waiting for the xxx to be finnished. Speaking of which, heres a bit of it that looks nice

P1040051_zpsfdd593a9.jpgnot quite finnished yet, but its looking rather tasty as far as chassis go. Theres one more car on my list of things to get, time will tell if i find the right one.

• Like 3

cheers dude, ive got well into my vintage Losi after buying my 8ights. The xxcr is a kinwald edition that was well in need of a rebuild, but had remarkably little wear anywhere. All the alloy bits were blue, but i stripped and polished everything, new front hinge pins, bodyshell and shock rebuild and afew new alloy screws made it like new. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished the XXX-4 today. Been at it for hours! Paint job is relatively poor, because the cheap masks leaked. Also, I usually find Fastrax Fast Finish paints to be excellent, but today only the black seemed up to the standard. The orange and white were far runnier than normal. :ack:

Anyway, at anything other than up close, it looks fine, so I'm happy, she aint a shelfer! :thumbsup:

Put the stickers on slightly asymmetrical left-to-right, as the shell is made slightly asymmetrical, itself.

I'll get the camera back off of my girlfriend and take some decent photos soon. In the meantime, here are some terrible photos from my crapberry. Sorry.

I was going to put these photos in the "show us your buggy" section, as, although it's old, in the right hands the Losi can still give modern machinery a run for their money... but then I realised mine were not the right hands! So in the vintage section they went! :xd:

B5MAkYk.jpg

HDjbrau.jpg

HfOoXah.jpg

ENHbkn8.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only just spotted this thread.  Posted pics of my cars elsewhere on here but they probably fit in better here.

Here's my Pumpkin that I bought and built back in '89.  It still runs, and the lightbulbs (LED's hadn't been invented then...) still work too.

pumpkin4.jpg

My Kyosho RS500 built and bought in '92.  It's actually a ZX-Sport underneath rather than the kit Sierra.  Still got the Eggenberger decals tucked away.

sierra.jpg

M03 Racing Mini with some Monte Carlo bits added.  Built in '02 but still not painted...

mini4.jpg

Here's a WW2 that I bought used last year, stripped and rebuilt it, finished last week.

willy29.jpg

And a KingCab that I also bought last year.  Came with the TBG shell, all I've done is tidy it up a little.

kingcab6.jpg

There's a couple of other old Tamiya cars that I remember from childhood that I still want and I'm working on that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Great collection!  i used to have the tamiya hilux monster racer, it commands decent prices now just wish my parents never chucked it out!

• 11 months later...

Thanks chaps, it's a 1981, so 35 years old which is incredible to appreciate how advanced it was for its time with 2wd/4wd 3 speed shiftable on the fly gearbox, waterproof electronics compartment and one way bearing lockouts on the front wheels. 

The shell has been clear coated in 2k and its a pretty good paintjob all round. Although it doesn't look like it from the pics, there are quite a few things to address so I'll be doing some restoring. Virtually everything on these vintage models is expensive to buy and difficult to find but I've managed to track down and order quite a few parts for it. There are no electronics which suited me fine as I wanted to use my own anyway and there are some servo rods and parts missing.

I had a spare set of wheels which I bought about a year ago for the Bruiser thinking they would fit which they didn't, so while waiting for this to arrive from Italy, I polished them up and painted the logos on the tyres...

large.image.jpeg.a74ed10dbfaaa3c79238329

I'm not sure whether to give the metalwork the polish treament or not, it's kind of hard to resist not doing it.

I'll probably be polishing the chassis up a bit, most of the rubber has perished so needs replacing, thank to the Bruiser rere a lot of that is available new now. I'll be stripping down the gearbox and replacing the bushings with bearings and overhauling the axles. The black bumper uprights got broken in transit, as did the drivers hand which was a pity but all fixable.

bumper removed and broken hand...

large.image.jpeg.f0ab53f1c1e4724f59d3e79

Gearbox had a light polish...

large.image.jpeg.e13de6a4f0210cf25423663

Cheers

Nito

Edited by NITO
  • Like 1

Incredible condition indeed....doesn't look to have covered many miles.

Personally, I see no harm in a gentle polish of the metal parts; the 'box looks good to me. :good:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I heard you say 'I'll just pop the belt out', and as an ex XX-4 owner myself the first thing I did was look at the video runtime to see 15 mins and I thought 'No you won't!' Sure enough cue a quick cut....

Great cars, but never the easiest models to service. Loving the look on the old school blocks though.

• Like 1