• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tempted to start a mini 8 project

martin34

Hi.I am very tempted to start a mini 8 project for a fast mini basher.I don't have a mini 8 yet but I have a new set of Traxxas 2.2 Response tyres and wheels for a bit of added ground clearance.A DP gear cover.RPM ball end thingys and rear carbon drive shaft guards.I also have a 60a Trackstar esc as I intend to run 3s but not sure if that will fit under the shell?What I plan on buying is a mini 8 obviously.T Bones front and rear.All the carbon I can get apart from the chassi.I will carbon wrap that.Shock top protectors.Light weight drive cups and most probably a Traxxas 380 motor as they are ment to be good little motors and fit the 8 nicely.Do you guys with 8 experience think this will be a worthy little project?Thanks for any info.

I tried traxxas 1/16 wheels and tyres on mine, it looked good and it was great fun with the wheelies but it wasn't worth the hassle. I snapped 2 front dog bones, an RPM a-arm, a motor shaft, set fire to another motor and broke other bits. I had to gear it down a lot too just so the motor didn't run too hot.

I loved my old mini8 too, still think its one of the best minis out there.

Nearly bought another before Christmas but went with the lc racing one in the end mostly because it was a cheaper option as its available in kit form without the electronics and I'd heard good things so wanted to try it.

But yeah, they're no fun on the wrong terrain. Great for car parks, skate parks and culdesacs though. This is true of pretty much all minis and the most common reason folk get disappointed with them :(

Don't know what size the responses are but remember stock mini treads are only about 3inches in diameter so even 1/10 buggy wheels come up pretty big

The 1/16th traxxas rims are 2.2inch but as I stated they are more hassle then fun

Were they the stock merv wheels and tyres?They are heavier than the Responses and while searching last night I found a few people who run these tyres when they coverted the 8 to a truggy.

So how many of those bits do you have already?

Mini8 is a fantastic thing but getting a whole car just to use a wheel and tyre set seems a bit odd.

Cool bit of man logic though :)

lol deffinatley man logic.The bits I already have is the wheels and tyres,esc,rpm ball cups,DP gear cover and the carbon rear dog bone covers.The motor I can borrow out of my merv.Yes I know I could just run the merv but I have always liked the look of the 8 and I just fancy something different.

You've bought car specific parts already? You're committed then, have to buy one! :)

If you've got a Merv then you'll know pretty much what to expect from a mini.

The Merv handles rough ground better (more ground clearance, bigger tyres) but the Mini8 handles in a way that a Merv can only dream about. Is also still almost controllable on 3S, unlike a Merv :)

The bumpers and shock protectors are good day one investments to avoid nasty bills.

Stock ballcups are ok just do the usual Losi thing of going baggy fairly quickly and start popping off but if you've got RPM ones, you may as well save yourself that hassle. Lightweight outdrives can wait, the stock ones are fine just a bit soft and wear quickly. So run the stockers til they need replacing then put the lightweight ones in, they're much better material and last ten times longer so cheaper in the long run.

VXL motor may need a bit shaved off the chassis under the motor, stock Mini8 is a 24mm can and there's not much room to spare underneath it. Won't be major surgery, just a fraction (1mm or so) if it doesn't quite fit. Friend put the complete vxl set up (esc and motor) in his but really can't remember if he said he had to mod it or not. Does need new pinion (bigger shaft) but no bad thing as the stock Losi pinion is made of butter anyway!

Thanks very much for all the very usefull info there mate :thumbsup: .I was going to buy one last year.Thats why I ordered the bits I already have for it but then I had a little boy so I couldn't afford one.I have quite a bit of overtime coming this month so thought I mite treat myself and being a mini he can have a go when hes older.Not on 3s tho lol.Are the Traxxas pinions the same pitch as the losi's?

Thanks for the vid.I will watch it when I get in from work and its good to hear that the pinions are readily available.I will decide what way to go when I have watched the vid.While doing a quick search about yesterday about the Responses I found more people who run them without issues so that's good.All I have to do now is wait till payday:(

They're definitely in the country, shop near to me has (or had, at least) one in. But they wanted full rrp (200quid :omgblinky: )

Is it just for the looks or the other updates? If you can find an old edition at a good price, it may be a better buy.

The wp receiver is nice but nothing a balloon and a couple of zipties can't also achieve, if the servo has the same internals then it'll break and be best replaced with a hitec after a couple of months anyway which leaves only the waterproof ESC (that you're planning to swap out) and the spekky radio gear as perks...

Its for the looks and the spektrum radio.I was going to buy one of those radios for another car so my nephew could use it but with the limited edition one I can just bind my soektrum to it and my nephew can use the other transmuted.Its only

I have been doing a bit more searching around and found a lot of people just run the traxxas pinion with the 380 motor with no issues.Favoured gearing for the mini 8 with response tyres is 16/60 and I just had a rummage about in my rc bits and found a 16th traxxas pinion :yes: .I believe stock gearing on these is 18/58 on these so 16/60 should keep the temps down hopefully.

Here's my standard mini8 apart from rpm arms

7BF986E3-BD29-4733-BA1C-5606F6A630CB_zps

Then here's my other I'm currently building has rpm arms, hitec servo, carbon front and rear towers, front alloy arm holders, rw racing spur gear 58t, 35a esc going on the bottom deck, carbon drag link on order, just running on 2s lipo for micro racing which I think is plenty.

94D55E1B-0025-4AEB-8D56-F14EDFAEB7DE_zps

CA090DF8-1798-466A-97B6-FB6258861BE3_zps

3044C393-A07C-4D1F-A61F-621A46D04906_zps

Bottom pic is just test fitting the esc.

Looking good mate :thumbsup: .You are lucky you have two as I don't have one yet.I am starting to wander if I should just order the stock one on payday if the limited ones arnt in then.Do you know if you can bind a spectrum tx with the losi rx that comes with the mini 8?If you can I think I will save myself

Edited by martin34

Yes mate comes with an sr300 Rx, I've just ordered a dx4s thinking of putting my Rx on the top deck as very small when using the orange Rx then will order some more bits towards end of this week, you can get a mini 8 without tx and Rx if you've already got them for