• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scrumpy's madforce brushless conversion

scrumpy jack

Handeling...er whats that?! I think I need to put in some softer springs as its pretty firm...but the shocks are much nicer than the stock ones. The truck worked pretty well at the bash saturday, apart from a loose grub drive shaft grub screw that stopped play. The thing is an absolute beast though! Im also going to try some different wheels and tyres next week to see if I can get it to handle slightly better..it seemed to handle better in nitro form, I think the brushless power is making it super twitchy..I may actually try to slow it down a bit!

Edited by scrumpy jack

Excellent! I would suggest ordering some standard savage axles cups for the front..as the kyosho ones will break! I would highly recommend putting small bits of fuel tubeing in the front diff cups..so the axles are pushed tight into the knuckles...otherwise the first time you drive the thing and make a turn the axle will pop out the cup and smash it! Let me know how you get on with it...you will love it though, there a hoot to drive :-)

Will have another up date this week, have splashed some cash on the madforce- got a new shell, which i've already sprayed...but Im not going to show you it until I get the new wheels I won off ebay theough the mail. Its going to look pretty darn saucy. Will hopefully get some decent video of it as well.

• Like 1

Glad your keeping it. I saw it in the for sales and was very tempted to buy it of you! I got a new servo today and programming box for my esc..just waiting for the wheels now..should turn up tomorrow hopefully :-)

New shell, also fitted an Altern steering servo, just waiting on new wheels...here's how were looking. Photo's don't really do the paint justice. Its Tamiya PS23 gunmetal.

SAM_5471_zpsa389a732.jpg

SAM_5467_zps415ee07c.jpg

Edited by scrumpy jack

So this morning while testing the truck I discovered the front shocks were hitting the inside of the tyres at full left or right lock...not good, the hyper shocks mounting points sit a little further away than the stock shocks, so I decided to offset them slightly and also at the same time toughen the lower shock mounting points (a well documented mad force weak area) so I grabbed some aluminium and my hacksaw and dremmel and made these up..

SAM_5481_zpsdf1fe1d9.jpg

I then used lots of nuts and stainless bolts and mounted it all up like this:

SAM_5483_zps76246149.jpg

did the same on both sides:

SAM_5484_zpsac734f26.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the results...the shocks are now slightly further in-board and the mounting points should be far stronger  :thumbsup:

Looks the biz Scrumpy I like the dark moody paint gives it a mean look and must say nice job on the shock mounts extra alloy always looks good in my book .

Are the wheels the same size hex or can you fit different hex's on the madforce?

Looks the biz Scrumpy I like the dark moody paint gives it a mean look and must say nice job on the shock mounts extra alloy always looks good in my book .

Are the wheels the same size hex or can you fit different hex's on the madforce?

many thanks  :thumbsup:  you can fit pretty much any size hex on the axles -14mm or 17mm the standard wheels are actually 19mm  :xd: - some very strange thinking by Kyosho  'lets make a wheel that has a completely different size hex than every one else' !! the standard hex's you get are actually 14mm, but they have a little plastic adapter on them to make them 19mm to fit the wheels...most bizarre. 

Loving the new shell Scrumpy :)

These trucks need to stick with an 'old skool' look, and that one really works for me.

I had the same issue with shock clearance on mine. The 40 series wheels I fitted do just rub a bit on the shocks. As the truck is light, though, you don;t want to go too firm on the springs...and the more upright you have the shocks, the firms ther shocks will seem. It's down to the angles the suspension forces act on.

Indeed, I initially had the shocks mounted on the front tabs where the Axle arm joins the axle, which is a decent place strength wise, but the shocks were really upright and it sat the truck so high- I know the mad force isn't exactly sure footed, but the thing was undrivable. I so need to get some softer springs though, as the hyper ones are very firm.

My wheels arrived this morning  :thumbsup:

SAM_5490_zpsaa8521bb.jpg

they were a bit of a nightmare to fit as I had some cheap buggy hex's and nuts and the machining on them was shocking....so spent an hour filling them and drilling out the pin holes slightly bigger to fit on the axles  :shockingscary:

About half hour later I met the Colchester chaps at our bash spot..here's a few poor videos! oh yes and I broke it..again  :whistling:

http://youtu.be/FHOJruVPhZA

http://youtu.be/r0_v8c6aj2Q

not so much of a break, more of an annoyance- the screws that hold the ends of the axle tubes together pulled through the plastic, so the axle tube kept moving about, causing the dogbones to fall out and the steering to go very wonky! just needs some more screws in it and should be okay- the rest of the truck held up pretty well..my nice new shell is defiantly not so new looking now  :xd:

• 9 years later...

Recently dug out my old and bashed Kyosho Mad Armour, and considering an electric conversion, stumbled over this forum. Now I'm waiting for the motor mount and diff. 🙂 Will have to go over this again once I have everything else. Two questions if anyone still follows this, to save a bit of time:  What size pinion did you use in the end on the motor, and where is the best place to get one? Thank you. 20231015_123256.thumb.jpg.49cee83305d65ba36727d667a78a8be0.jpg20231015_123300.thumb.jpg.077f3f08f5079fd2a6a78ed041924745.jpg20231015_123328.thumb.jpg.74a7b4f7b76d772972334f0743f686c1.jpg20231015_123332.thumb.jpg.4e9103b875da1ecc2dfdabac00afecdf.jpg20231015_123335.thumb.jpg.38f16d68bb6fc9a5f7d3998048e0c198.jpg

20231015_123251.jpg

I will have to check what pinion I have.

I made my own centre chassis plate, used a Hyper 7 motor mount and centre diff, but mounted UNDER the chassis, with a bashplate to protect it. Gets rid of the chain drive and the awkward 3 speed setup. You don;t need it for brushless. It sits where the lower half of hte chain run is, and is tucked into the chassis in the same way. No ground clearance issues.  I used a 1950Kv 4 pole motor. I didn;t gear it that high, and find it's a lot of fun on 4S. Run higher voltage and the handling is poor, as is reliability. I seem to recall fitting Hyper 7 diffs and pinion with straight cut gears.  Was going to uses Savage ones, but they are fractionally longer and bind up as soon as you screw the cases fully together.

Worked fine with the driveshafts I had.  Not sure exaclty which ones I used. Might be a mix of Hyper7 and Kyosho. I also replaced the axles with HPI Savage ones, and fitted proper sized wheel hexes. The Kyosho ones are just poor for sizing. If you want....I can grab some pics of the setup I ended up with.

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Thanks 1