• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scrumpy's madforce brushless conversion

scrumpy jack

Not been loitering about on here recently due to a few reasons.. got made redundant, moving house, kids etc...blah blah. Anyway the RC's have been completely neglected in the last 6 months, so I have decided to start a little project to get my enthusiasm going again. As much as I love nitro, it's just no longer practical for me as I don't have the time to tinker about with them, also noise would be a problem where I live now so thought I would have a go at this brushless lark!

I have been in contact with Barnetbasher the guru of all things Madforce, who has been a huge help in telling me what is required to do the conversion, so a huge shout out and big thank you to him  :thumbsup:

Right so I had a little shopping spree yesterday and have brought the following parts mostly from forum members, so many thanks chaps.

Leopard 2000kv motor

turnigy 160A esc

hpi trophy centre diff

hpi trophy motor mount

So just got to wait for the stuff to turn up now!!

Here's how the truck looks at the moment, as you can see I did the steering mod a while ago I've also got some MTA shocks turning up to try out, I also plan to add some more bracing to the suspension arms and make a better wheelie bar and maybe treat it to a new shell if funds allow.

SAM_5242_zpsa2d41dc4.jpg

SAM_5243_zps500031eb.jpg

SAM_5244_zpsdecb8092.jpg

So will update when the parts arrive and get stuck in  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The layout does lend itself to a conversion I reckon.

Put the diff where the bottom of hte gear train is...motor under teh plate on the other side, batteries and ESC on top.

I think the biggest issue will be getting driveshafts the right length and getting the diffs reliable.

oi oi Scrumps....nice to see a new build thread for this classic "special needs" truck....everyone who owns one loves it...despite is inherent flaws ..

wheelie bar....the stock one is ok...but it takes the brunt of all cartwheels..end ends up snapping..I tried to beef up the arms with ally stip...result of that was it started to bend the chassis plates instead !

so...I sat on my thinking chair/spike...and came up with this.. (now 3 years on and not missed a beat)

Photo0350_zps9fcd2b45.jpg

Nylon rod....M4 bolts going through the end....it allows the bar to hang down....keeping it out of the way ...the horizontal bar you see...its M3 bolted between the two chassis plates..its purely there to stop the wheelie bar as it nears 90% ...so the truck can sit up..and the single aircraft wheel can allow it to wheelie along and make everyone smile !

simples !

Edited by barnetbasher

The layout does lend itself to a conversion I reckon.

Put the diff where the bottom of hte gear train is...motor under teh plate on the other side, batteries and ESC on top.

I think the biggest issue will be getting driveshafts the right length and getting the diffs reliable.

That's the plan...I'm basically copying Barnetbasher's truck  :whistling: the drive shaft length is worrying me a touch I admit! I've got savage internals in the diffs which are all nicely shimmed so hopefully wont explode. quick question, I'm just about to order some stainless allen head screws for mounting the motor... anyone know what length I need? been trying to find out what the trophy flux ones are, but cant download the manual as the site is down.

Quick little update, the Trophy centre diff arrived (thanks R46) I had a quick test fit to see about the dog bone length. By some divine miracle it fits perfectly! in fact I measured the length of the original chain drive axle cups compared to the trophy diff and the Trophy diff is about 2mm shorter. So all I had to do was swap the short front dog bone with the longer rear one over to bring the diff mounts rearwards on the chassis plate and all is good..to say I'm happy would be an understatement!! hopefully the motor mount and motor etc. will be with me early next week so I can start getting it all together  :thumbsup:

SAM_5250_zps0111122a.jpg

Edited by scrumpy jack

nice one scrumps....this is progressing well..

but.... swap your CD around and I think you'll need a combined motor mount/CD plate....the motor can will be butted up against the diff housing before the pinion can engage in the spur...

this sort of thing

RCMwtext.jpg

fantabulous.....also...you might want to pop some fuel tube in the front diff outdrive cups (I superglue it on the end of the dogbone)

they need to be pushed right into the stub axle drive cups otherwise they catch on the edge of them as you go to full steering lock and that ends up chipping chunks off them (in short ..kyosho made the dogbones too short)

Would love those braces, but im skint now..still need to find funds for some lipo's. Have got some 4mm threaded bar left over from the steering mod, so will use that with some savage tie rod ends for my bracing.

So while waiting for some more bits to arrive, I thought I would take a look at the chassis and address a few issues, mainly the front shocks popping out at the top mount and the wheelie bar. So I did a rather strange looking mod using a couple of aluminium thing-me-jigs (no idea what they are-found them in my tool box!) Not pretty but anyway they should stop the top of the shocks popping off, shall see how they hold up- I was going to try using some MTA4 shocks I brought, but unfortunately they are just a bit to small.

SAM_5253_zpse6b2826d.jpg

Next up was the wheelie bar. I was going to do a similar set-up to Barnetbashers using nylon rod, but thought I would leave the stock plastic part and replace the aluminium tube 2 wheel setup with a length of 4mm threaded stainless steel bar,  which I covered over with some ali tube (just to look pretty) then some nuts each side..oh and a bit of fuel tubing over each end of the excess threaded bar for neatness, also the ends were a little sharp  :whistling: Again I will see how this holds together, if it falls apart, I'll do the 'Barnet' mod instead :xd:  

SAM_5252_zpse9e06217.jpg

Whilst I was at it I added a chunky nylon rod cross brace to the chassis for extra strength..

SAM_5258_zps2168af4f.jpg

Edited by scrumpy jack

Had a fairly productive morning and built wheelie bar MK2. the wheel is temporary at the moment until I find something more suitable, I will also add some nylock nuts etc and tidy it all up a bit. looks like I should get about a 45 degree wheelie when used (if my diffs don't explode) Still waiting on my motor mount and electrics to arrive, which will hopefully turn up in the next few days.

SAM_5268_zps0672a99d.jpg

It hangs quite nicely out the way with the wheels on...

SAM_5271_zps77848007.jpg

scrumps...a word on the batt tray....

use one of your stock ones...saw it in half along the middle..then bolt it down on the top of the motor plate...with each half spaced apart a bit...that will allow you to fit a 4s or 2x 2s packs in....velcro straps running under the tray will hold it secure....keeps more weight inside the chassis and simplifies the layout...also...if you want...use the plastic battery strap as a platform to fit your Rx and ESC on

rubbish phone pic >>

Photo0348_zps28638015.jpg

you'll see I used some nylon rod to extend where the batt strap joins...to allow for the height of the batts.

I can take it off for hosing the truckk down too

Edited by barnetbasher

Thanks for the battery tray tips- do you mean a standard madforce VE box? 

Anyway motor mount arrived today, so had a test fit, looks pretty good, will have to cut a slot in the chassis plate for the spur gear to sit in though. hope my motor and esc arrive soon, Getting a little impatient now.

SAM_5275_zpsaa4235ad.jpg