• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What axial wraith,scx10 or the deadbolt

Duo

As it says looking to do some crawling and a little bit of speed. Got my eye on the wrath rtr as never built a kit before or installed electrics. Know the kits are better for upgrades but are the wraiths any good at crawling. Looking at deadbolt looks like it is ok but the thing is ugly as for the scx10 the rubicon is nice but is it a good rtr . As a newb am open to advice from anyone who owns one and there good or bad points. Would like to do a kit but only kit ever built was one from ikea or a Lego set for my kid are they easy for a newb.

Well I love my wraith, only had it a couple of months I had an SCX10 before which I didn't like as much. For a crawling novice, like myself, I find it much easier to tackle difficult terrain.

The kits aren't hard to build at all, if you can build a Lego set, you can build a kit. You will inevitably have to strip parts as you go anyway as part of the regular maintenance of the car, there's no way around that really unless it's a shelf queen.

You would have to buy electrics and paint the shell (unless you buy another one or run it just as a tube frame, which in itself is pretty cool) Depending on what you buy it's only a matter of plugging stuff in, not really 'wiring' anything as such.

I had an SCX-10, sold it as it was just too slow to be fun. I bought a Wraith kit to replace it and it's much better. The build is easy enough if you can follow instructions (and think for yourself as a few of the bits are wrong), and as Rossyra said you'll be stripping down for maintenance anyway, so might as well get to know how it all comes together right from the start.

• Like 1

So the scx10 is out what about the deadbolt as it is cheaper and a similar frame to the wraith. But as I am typing this i can see slugsie red wraith and think I am smitten. They are great looking will buy the kit for a treat for my birthday and go from there any advice on motors esc and srevos for the rig . What do you run in yours ,want mine to crawl and a bit of rock racing. Cheers for any advice and mods that are essential .

They do look the bees knees, here's a couple of shots of mine if it helps you make up your mind (one way or the other, lol!) It changes almost every day though, I can't resist fidding with it :xd:

uueGwg8.jpg

6BReXU9.jpg

7GNUoos.jpg

DgQzzSS.jpg

Edited by Rossyra
  • Like 1

Just built my wraith kit tonight :) good kit and comes with spare options. Always better to build in my opinion as you learn everything you need to about the truck, mines not quick running an LRP crawler special 3 but climbs walls great :)

Personally I would go SCX-10 as I find the Wraith to capable and not as fun and the deadbolt will be even more capable than the wraith.

100% behind alphazero on this.

capable means how well the would compare against each other off road, like land rover versus the rest kind of idea :whistling:

• Like 1

Agree. The Wraith is like 1/8 scale and if you are out with friends, you tend to leave them behind. A larger pinion will give the SCX a kick up the rear, if that's what you want.

sent from my laptop using fingers

Edited by AX10

wraith for me had an scx, wraith and twin hammers got rid off the scx cos local terrain was too much for it 

love the wraith for where i go play lots off big rocks and deep mud and waterDSCF5648_zpse596e377.jpg

Edited by rawalker666

• 1 year later...

Same problem here. 

i had crawlers, tamiya TLT, then did a micro to 1/12th conversion crawler.

own a twin hammer, but want a scaler / rover 

now i have three choices 

AX10 - SCX10 or a Gmade sawback. 

i like the sawback because of its leaf spring and shock setup, but it has its drawbacks

its no very much used in the class crawling and scale stuff. but i can with mods be able to cope.

but the scx10 and ax10 do the job nearlly right out the box, just shift the battery round and your away.

everywhere i look in uk its rtr axial stuff not much kit gear. but i would like those smaller 1.9's so im fully compatable with the hammers to.

scx10 does not do that they are 2.2s so what i keep seeing others mention in videos so for me its trying to find an old ax10 BNIB

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Same problem here. 

i had crawlers, tamiya TLT, then did a micro to 1/12th conversion crawler.

own a twin hammer, but want a scaler / rover 

now i have three choices 

AX10 - SCX10 or a Gmade sawback. 

i like the sawback because of its leaf spring and shock setup, but it has its drawbacks

its no very much used in the class crawling and scale stuff. but i can with mods be able to cope.

but the scx10 and ax10 do the job nearlly right out the box, just shift the battery round and your away.

everywhere i look in uk its rtr axial stuff not much kit gear. but i would like those smaller 1.9's so im fully compatable with the hammers to.

scx10 does not do that they are 2.2s so what i keep seeing others mention in videos so for me its trying to find an old ax10 BNIB

The SCX10 runs 1.9 wheels bud.

I have 1.55s on my SCX10 and 2.2s on my Wraith. Love both rigs for different reasons.

Edited by chewbacca