• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Dark Knights 3Racing Sakura XI Sport

The Dark Knight

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd ressurect this thread as the outdoor season is away to start again.

I'll be using the XI-Sport for spec class racing still. The only change I have made to it, is bought some alloy wheel hexes for it as the stock plastic ones cracked.

The current spec is:

• Team Wave Eclipse 13.5t motor
  • Hobbywing Just Stock esc
  • Savox 1252 servo
  • Gens Ace 5300mah 2S lipo
  • 450cst shock oil
  • 2000wt rear diff oil

The local club is having a pre-season round this Sunday so that'll be the first outdoor test session for this car as I have only used it a few times indoors on carpet.

I'll share the set-up geometry after testing  :thumbsup:

558717_10152234260080210_680507039_n.jpg

Here's a sneak peak of my new body shell  :whistling:

1972379_10152236663115210_989871989_n.jp

• Like 3

Looking good =]  Also just wanted to say should anyone ever need to I have found WTF customer service the best I've experienced in RC so far.  Really good service, they want to look after their racers =]

Looking good =]  Also just wanted to say should anyone ever need to I have found WTF customer service the best I've experienced in RC so far.  Really good service, they want to look after their racers =]

Thanks dude  :thumbsup:  I haven't got my WTF fitted just now as I'll be racing outdoors now, I'll check temps after the first race then fit it if I need it.

13.5t blinky? That's different.

Looking good bro, I like the stickers font, looks cool

Yeah 13.5t blinky, 2S lipos, fdr between 5.1 & 5.4, a control tyre (currently sweep 32), no additive and relaxed body shell rules. This is called SPEC class at my local club and is recognised at the Much More GP. It's a great class to race in  :yes:

When we moved from 21.5T turbo to 17.5T blinky I was always voting we did 13.5T blinky instead.  It's a great speed, lots of feeling in the motor too.  Only got to race it at a proper event once and loved it, made the A final that day too.  Still wish we went with 13.5T blinky now.

• Like 1

When we moved from 21.5T turbo to 17.5T blinky I was always voting we did 13.5T blinky instead.  It's a great speed, lots of feeling in the motor too.  Only got to race it at a proper event once and loved it, made the A final that day too.  Still wish we went with 13.5T blinky now.

The thing I like about the SPEC class I race in, is that everyone has to run a similar set-up meaning the driving more comes down to you as a racer with geometry set-up and skill. At my local, it is proving very popular and racing is always fun & close. It was primarily created for newcomers but proving very popular to people of all abilities.

Here's the rules for anyone interested in setting up something similar: http://www.sdrcc.co.uk/pits/racing%20classes/spec%20class/

I enjoy 13.5 blinky too.

We do not have a gear ratio restriction but seeing as we race at a smallish track there is nothing to be gained by over gearing - except a trail of lap record fail (smoke) lol.

It's what we found too.  The stock classes look like they are a good idea for beginners to get everyone started on similar equipment but end up with experienced guys squeezing everything they can out of their cars and makes for a very competitive and closely fought class.  For beginners we find they want run what you brung as it's so common the car is bought before visiting the club.  This way they can then choose to move up to a stock class after having had a go with whatever car they already have.

It's always an interesting dilema if you ask me.  On the one hand letting beginners run what they like can lead to vast differences in speed whilst on the other hand introducing a lot of rules for the beginner can put them off wanting to race at all, especially if the car they have bought and lovingly built is not allowed or they need to spend money to make it fit the rules.  So I think the run what you brung at first then move into a stock class without too many rules is the best way for us.

That's some very valid & good points you've made there. A run what you brung class could be a good idea to introduce to our club.

The only rule I find a bit strange at our club for SPEC class is you can only use WD40 to clean your tyres, I'd personally would rather use brake cleaner as I can't see WD40 helping at all. Having said that though, I've never tried WD40 to clean my tyres, so might be worth trying?

We don't have enough entrants to split the touring up - we all use 17.5T or 13.5B in the same class.

We are more of a feeder club than a mainstream, (being the only club locally that race indoors on foam tyres does that).

We do have a smaller, but more committed member base though.

We don't have enough entrants to split the touring up - we all use 17.5T or 13.5B in the same class.

We are more of a feeder club than a mainstream, (being the only club locally that race indoors on foam tyres does that).

We do have a smaller, but more committed member base though.

Our club is also fairly small in size but like you they are more committed. We currently run SPEC class tc, mod tc, mini and 2wd/4wd off-road buggies. The 2wd & 4wd buggies are chucked in together.

Here's some photos of my new body shell, thanks to my lovely wife for the photos and thanks to Leigh at LS Designs for the club & name stickers  :thumbsup:

1948111_272178592944116_1930516460_n.jpg

1959803_272178569610785_1282536101_n.jpg

1939796_272178576277451_72946021_n.jpg

1798579_272178612944114_1060634971_n.jpg

1779100_272178642944111_609586987_n.jpg

• Like 1

My main reason for selling the Mi5 was to free up some funds for my other racing. And after having a shot of another club members Sakura Zero S, I was impressed with it. The XI Sport is basically an updated version of the Zero S and I'm happy with it, it might not be everyones choice but suits me just fine.