• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tugs take on the S5!

Tug

Very tight, but the gearing is OK if I allow cooling off from time to time. I'm not overly worried as the current temps are well within the limits.

Shall we try 5s?

Wow, quick run on 5s. I left the shell off for ease of temperature reading. The cells were only 5000mah and at storage, they lasted about five minutes! Motor did hit 50 again, but that doesn't mean much considering it was such a short run. However, it was entirely made up of speed runs on dry grass, so lots of traction and lots of long runs at top speed. Speed was great, especially for a 1/5. ESC didn't thermal, left the dirt shield off for the higher voltage testing.

I will monitor temps even closer come summer, if it stays below 60 Celsius, job done. Higher than 60 is OK, but I don't want it anywhere near 70 if I can avoid it.

why dont you use a cooling fan to keep the motor temps down?

Because fans get blocked and I'd rather not have any heat issues at all. I have considered it, but as it's not actually overheating I'm not too fussed.

Right, quick update. Had a quick blast on 6s, about ten or twelve minutes of repeated Speed runs on short dry grass, but no shell for ease of temp reading.

The ESC was fine, about 35 Celsius.

The motor clocked 62 Celsius, not dangerous, not harmful, a little warm, but OK.

The GPS clocked 43 mph, which is good, but lower than I expected. Still perfectly acceptable given her size.

I reckon 5s might the happy ground, as soon as I get the chance I'll give her a full run on 5s to confirm.

Swapped motors again, put the HK Turnigy 5682, 900kv back in. I need to do more testing with this, so now it's drying up and I've had some time with the 1717, I'm gonna give this motor some more time to prove itself. If I remember correctly, 6s with 20/52 gearing was OK on speed, I'll GPS it and monitor temps, as always! ;)

Might sell it as a roller OHO....

Do it, you got enough projects to deal with. It'd be interesting to see how well a HW 1800kv motor would cope with a stock set up.

Switched back to a 1717 motor again, 1580kv version this time. Ragged it on 6s, temps were reasonable and I was quite hard on her again. She's fast!