• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RMS Mulheim - ship wreck at Sennen, west Cornwall

Pistonhead

Thought i'd share some pictures of a local shipwreck.

She's the coaster RMS Mulheim, she ran aground in 2003, and was only 6 months old at the time.

The skipper - drunk at the helm - navigated too close to the coast and hit rocks just west of Sennen near Lands End, she was carrying a load of shredded waste plastic.

Here are some pictures of when she first ran aground in 2003, 2009 and today.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Today

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Always seems sad for some reason to see ships and planes wrecked, raced bangers for years so love to butcher cars ( hence the name) dollys, sprints, P6's, mk1 rs1600, but planes and ships always look like they want you to help them, odd I know.

The salvage crew made several attempts at refloating her with large tugs, but in doing so, ruptured the hull in the engine room - rendering the vessel a CTL or constructive total loss - pointless in carrying any further with the operation as the most valuable part of the ship is useless.

The cargo, fuel and oil were removed from the her, but as she rests on National Trust property (know tight arses), they wouldn't allow wreck removal crews to cut cut her up and scrap her.

Instead she's been left to the elements and the notorious north coast weather and coastal sea conditions

They have, myself included.

Most of it was stripped in the first 6 months.

The brass prop went within a week of the salvage crew leaving, and was removed with cordite charges too, and a winched up the cliff by a land rover, then the furniture (tv, fridge etc included) within a month, the glass was stolen in less than three, just leaving brass and copper fittings and cabling, the last of which, i had away lol

Edited by Pistonhead

• 3 years later...

Didn't realise it's been just over three years since i visited her last, but as was there this weekend i thought i'd share a few new pics of her.

5fd4bafca4825baa459853d12474fc37.jpg

a7a22b14e8f0b380a47bfc24dbfa7546.jpg

3c84c33410e77dc3f0018f64606daa5f.jpg

d855f11c216f493b79012a3ce6667985.jpg

8eb38e24a6db2bd4a2ba4a7cb925d10c.jpg

0b9ce9ad52346554f41f3115b4b2cb75.jpg

b07b58ada1018c6bb10fcadb392d4c75.jpg

1aa90a11e915a1720210cd0c7c6477ac.jpg

You may not be able to tell from the photos, but she's finally been freed from the rock that held her in place for the last fourteen years - she's moved a good 20ft down cove.

Boarding is still possible, although not recommended as its now listing even further than before and near impossible to get around.

Everything forward of the aft cargo bulkhead was destroyed within 18 months. 

Now waiting for her to get smashed up more, i saw some nice big chunks of brass in the machine room, but they were too dangerous to access lol

• Like 1