• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

first plane first problem

, ive just received my bixler 2 rc plane ive connected every thing to give it a test and im having motor issues. without a prop the motor spins just fine but with the prop its very juddery (if thats a word) almost like the prop is to heavy. this is a rtf kit. im new to electric powered rc so im not sure if im doing anything wrong.

Does it spin at all with the prop or just ping backwards and forwards between two points? If its doing that it could be missing a motor phase, as in only hitting two of the three phases. That could be the case. I must say though the motor/esc will most likely be the first thing you upgrade on the ready to fly, they can be under powered.

Edited by danny boy

have you balanced the prop ? 

sometimes propellers are out of balance, one side of the blade will

be more heavy than the other. it is best to always balance your blades when you get them.

using a prop balancer you will notice one side is more heavy than the other

so you place tape / kapton tape / superglue etc etc on the other side to balance them both level.

an unbalanced prop will make the craft wobble in flight, of the shudder you mention.

so i would spend a few quid get a prop balancer, check you have the correct prop size to

balance them and have a try.

if the problem then still happens it is down to motor and/or esc ( timing may need changing, etc etc )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK sorry i been away'ish guys. 

long motor spline , and the use of those bad collet prop clamps. 

here is what i would do,

first off i would loose that prop clamp unit and find a standard prop adaptor mount.

next measure up new adaptor with prop on motors spline, then with a dremel

CHOP down the motors spline to a more useable length.

grab a very cheap prop balancer and balance up the prop, take time with this.

install and test. 

you should find alot less problems once you have lost the collect clamp, these things are dire

have seen quadcopters sold with these prop clamps and see the same quads throw off props in mid flight.

if this happen on a bixler, you loosing the whole TAIL END OF CRAFT a massive catastrophic ending.

first off i would loose that prop clamp unit and find a standard prop adaptor mount.

Any suggestions? I'm reasonably new to the flying thing and just upgraded bix 1.1 with turnigy 2826. Cannot get the collet type to balance properly even though motor shaft seems straight. Struggling to find an alternative adaptor that would fit the motor but presumably just looking in the wrong place.

As you mentioned losing the tail; I have one of the cnc engine mounts (to use 7" prop) which I thought was glued well. Lasted 4 flights then presume the torque ripped it out and prop cut through half the fuse but stayed in place so I still had powered flight. Was gonna add 2 x 3mm carbon rods from wing to tail anyway but now vital before taking it out again!!