• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper st brushless conversion

• 3 months later...

Nope bolt pattern the same on ST and Hyper 7/8

Just screw it on brother

Only mod I made was to elongate the motor mount holes so I could have more options on how far the motor could move

If you buy the whole kit then yes, all will fit straight on. Do you have the rtr or the pro, cause I think the rtr needs some shimming on the motor mount for some reason?! I also needed to use some shimming to the battery tray in order to be able to keep the side guard on where the battery tray is. I'll post some pics later if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you buy the whole kit then yes, all will fit straight on. Do you have the rtr or the pro, cause I think the rtr needs some shimming on the motor mount for some reason?! I also needed to use some shimming to the battery tray in order to be able to keep the side guard on where the battery tray is. I'll post some pics later if you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some photos would be great yes, my model is the RTR by the way.

Brushless conversion is definitely something I will be looking into but the missus would kill me if I spent that sort of money so soon again so I may just buy the parts up slowly to convert it  :thumbsup:

Honestly. Don't buy the kit.

Hyper SS/Cage motor mount with a little shimming.

Losi 8 battery tray.

A few holes in the chassis and good to go :thumbsup:

What spur size have you got?

Not sure on the spur size, it is whatever comes standard with the RTR version.

I really don't fancy drilling the chassis as I am a stickler for keeping things looking neat and original.

Not sure on the spur size, it is whatever comes standard with the RTR version.

I really don't fancy drilling the chassis as I am a stickler for keeping things looking neat and original.

Don't get me wrong, but you can get it neat. I'm just finishing off drilling a few holes, I'll get it back together and take a photo for you.

If you still don't fancy it, I'm sure I still have all the Hyper 8 conversion bits if you want to buy them.

Forgive the dirt and lack of shock.

20140310_112849_zps59c59929.jpg

20140310_113921_zpsc459ed39.jpg

Also worth noting, I'm waiting for new side guards, so not quite completed yet

Drilled 4 holes, 3 for the battery tray and 1 for the motor, which probably isn't really needed.

The SS motor mount is 23 quid from Taiwan, and the best place to get the Losi tray is the US. Yeah it is expensive, but it is far better than the standard.

Edited by Vr5fx

I really don't fancy drilling the chassis....if it comes to it then I will have no choice but for now I will be looking at other options.

I definitely need to read up on ESC's and motors and the like as all the numbers are very confusing at the moment, I have no idea of what batteries/power I would end up running it on as I have no experience of brushless up to press, I have had a quick look at esc and motor combos and these seem like quite good value - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42937__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_8_Brushless_Power_System_1900KV_120A_UK_Warehouse_.html would something like that (not necessarily that KV as they sell loads of different ones and I will look into what it means) be good enough for the ST?

The Trackstar ESC would probably die pretty quickly, a truggy needs to pull a lot of power.

For an ESC you should look at 150a Hobbywing EZrun.

Motor wise, something between 1700kv and 2300kv. Leopard motors are good, but slightly more than Trackstar.

Okie dokie, I don't really understand the whole KV rating malarkey, I have read the bits of the electric guide which explain about the KV rating being the revolutions per minute multiplied by the voltage....if that was the case why is everyone not running 10,000kv motors with whichever batteries? surely that would be faster than the lesser KV rated motors?

Forgive me if this is really noobish.

Okie dokie, I don't really understand the whole KV rating malarkey, I have read the bits of the electric guide which explain about the KV rating being the revolutions per minute multiplied by the voltage....if that was the case why is everyone not running 10,000kv motors with whichever batteries? surely that would be faster than the lesser KV rated motors?

Forgive me if this is really noobish.

Heat.

The higher the KV the more speed it will have but less torque

The lower the KV the less speed but more torque.

If the gearing is wrong, you'll either blow the motor, esc or batteries. Maybe even all of them.

I run a 1900kv in mine.

I run 2200kv in mine with 4s and I've got a nice balance of both speed and torque.

Kv wise should be reflected on what voltage you re planning to use too... So If you'll run 4s like me you be safe from 2000-2600kv let's say where the 2k will give more torque off the line while the 2.6k will offer higher top speed but lesser acceleration (torque).

If you'll run a 6s setup then you'll have to look at anything between 1600kv to 2200kv max , it really depends on what you want and how you like your temps, remember: cooler means better run times and safer electronics while hotter means the opposite.

Hope this helps

I'll post those pics when I get back home

Tapatalk

Is there some sort of formula to work out which KV to go with which size battery? or is there an ideal RPM that the motors should be running at? if not, how do I tell what RPM a motor will be happy with or is it just experience/guesswork/trial and error?

I prefer a low down punchy set up but I would also like a decent turn of speed when required (from what I have seen brushless does give a decent turn of speed anyways)