• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone using RC Modelz killswitch?

DARSKi-RC

Hi

I'm going to break in my KM T1000 tomorrow and I've just finished the initial setup.

RCModelz fitted one of their killswitchs for me and everything seems to work fine as I can see a green led light going on and off in my RX box if I switch channel 3.

So my stupid question is what status is the RC Modelz killswitch in when the green led is on or off? I don't want to go heaving on the starter first pull to find it was set to kill ;-)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

D

Thanks guys! I don't see it flashing. Mine is either green light on or off. I guess green light on means killswitch off...and no green light is on? Watchman is your the RC Modelz

If in doubt.....remove the plug, pop it back into the plug cap....hold it against the cylinder head, and pull the pullstart.

You'll see the spark if the motor is in 'run' mode....and no spark if it isn;t. Then you can toggle channel 3 and make sure the opposite happens.

• Like 1

Hi Macgregor - yeah I found that out yesterday during breakin. Green led means engine killed :D

It took a while to get it going, due to carb settings I think, but after while I got it started and ran a tank through it with a few breaks. My mate also ran in his Losi 5T.

I'm loving my KM T1000 though, quite a bit louder and faster up to half throttle than the stock Losi, but he also has a pipe to fit and will mash me off-road.

Only thing I've noticed coming from electric is the brakes are erm, interesting...even after some adjustment. What does everyone do to improve their brakes on a KM 5B/5T? I'll be putting some research time in later but if anyone wants to suggest anything feel free.

Hi Macgregor - yeah I found that out yesterday during breakin. Green led means engine killed :D

It took a while to get it going, due to carb settings I think, but after while I got it started and ran a tank through it with a few breaks. My mate also ran in his Losi 5T.

I'm loving my KM T1000 though, quite a bit louder and faster up to half throttle than the stock Losi, but he also has a pipe to fit and will mash me off-road.

Only thing I've noticed coming from electric is the brakes are erm, interesting...even after some adjustment. What does everyone do to improve their brakes on a KM 5B/5T? I'll be putting some research time in later but if anyone wants to suggest anything feel free.

For the brakes try a stronger servo or the fuel pipe mod or if you have the cash go for the rcr brakes!

Edited by Rockie

Do the fuel pipe mod take out centre star disc and replace with either a third brake disc or like I did a piece of flat aluminium which will ware out in time but is both cheap and easy to replace, mine lock up every time with stock km supplied servo.

• Like 1

Thanks again guys! - brill feedback on this forum.

I'm gonna try the fuel line mod and the 3rd break disc thing and see how I go from there.

Gonna run it's second tank tomorrow if it's dry :D

Did the kill switch not come with any instructions? Do they have instructions on their website? Or a phone number or email?

Green light the engine is killed. No light the car will start.

That seems the opposite of how it should be. Green means go, usually.

If the rx power is turned off then the led would be off. So does that mean you can start the engine without battery power? That'd be dangerous.

Yep I can confirm, it works as expected and a bargain for what I needed...I ordered my KM Baja at 3pm on a Thursday and asked RCModelz if they could fit their killswitch to my RTR T1000 and ship the lot to me for the weekend. I took delivery 10am the next day and everything so far has been great with the Baja (1 tank) and switch.

However, my mate bought the killer bee killswitch at the same time for his Losi 5T and had a few hassles getting it to work with his setup and Killer RC answered his support email with a fix within minutes, so both companies get respect from me. I've also bought KRC suspension cables and will be going super bee for my next largescale rig in the spring.

Did the kill switch not come with any instructions? Do they have instructions on their website? Or a phone number or email?  That seems the opposite of how it should be. Green means go, usually.If the rx power is turned off then the led would be off. So does that mean you can start the engine without battery power? That'd be dangerous.

Is this not blatantly trying to dismiss one killswitch over another by a reputable company . Cmon moderators sort it out. There's more than one killswitch available.

The switch is made by ex soldiers. There are basic instructions but I do agree green does usually mean go but I can assure everyone the killswitch works just like any other . Even if the battery is not turned on.

So you can't start it with the rx power turned off? But when the rx power is turned on, the LED being off means the engine can run. Correct? Just trying to clarify. 

Is this not blatantly trying to dismiss one killswitch over another by a reputable company . Cmon moderators sort it out. There's more than one killswitch available.

Moderate what? Legitimate questions? The product is kinda confusing. That's why the post was started to begin with. Forums are about informing people. No need to go whining to the moderators.

Edited by Killer RC

Is it legitimate to question whether a company has a phone number , an email address or any sort of customer feedback the company is a member of this forum, and will always answer customer queries. It is blatant that you wish to discredit this company and there product. I know you sell a similar product and I think it is unfair that you question another manufacturers product and customer service.

• Like 1

They are legitimate questions, no matter who is asking them. The guy came and asked the question here on this forum, instead of trying to ask the manufacturer. So as members of this forum it is our duty to make sure that his question is thoroughly answered. I ask questions for the benefit of everybody that reads this thread. I know what questions to ask because I get asked questions every day. I am just trying to help people make informed decisions, and get the best for their money.  I am all about discussing details and facts, and comparing your options. You need to have a reason why you chose to buy what you bought, not just buy whatever some guy on a forum bought. What works for you may not work for someone else, and your advice might cause someone else to waste their money. 

When buying a kill switch you should ask questions like:

How much does it cost?

Where is it manufactured?

How is the customer service?

What is the warranty?

Where are the dealers?

Does the kill switch work with high resolution radios?

Does the kill switch work with all types of batteries that I might run in the future, NiMh, LiFe, LiPo, etc.

Does the kill switch have adjustable low voltage cutoff? (To protect a LiPo rx battery, which needs a higher cutoff then when you are running NiMh)

Does the kill switch ignition cable require and soldering, or does it plug right in?

Can the kill switch power LED headlights? Just one LED or 50 LEDs?

Does the kill switch have a buzzer to remind me to activate my Aux channel before trying to start the engine?

Does the kill switch sound a buzzer when I have turned off the transmitter and forgot to turn off the rx power?

How do install the kill switch?

How do I set up the Aux channel on my radio to work with the kill switch?

Does the kill switch have adjustable glitch sensitivity? (useful when running long distances)

Does the kill switch work with 2 channel radios?

Will the kill switch still work if I want to add another servo or a light controller to my 3rd channel? 

Does the manufacturer of this kill switch sponsor the forums and race events that I like to patronize? 

How many other people have bought this kill switch, and are they happy with it? 

etc etc etc

Edited by Killer RC