• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's mucky Marder.

Oh How Original

So, just had the Marder outside again, fired her up, running sweet, aside from again the little revving upon letting off the throttle.

I leaned out the HSN a touch and it seemed to have helped, but about 2 minutes later she started revving on her own, gradually, I let it just happen to see how far it went and got to probably just over 1/4 throttle ish, then died down again and almost bogged out.

Put the HSN back to where it originally was and started playing with the LSN and idle screw trying to get a sweet spot, but it's just having none of it.

Seems fine for a little bit (15-20 seconds) then she'll have a high idle for about 3-4 secods after a good rev.

So, any ideas what could be at fault here, the piston looks fine, as does the barrel, had a look dow the spark plug hole and the carb end, along with the exhaust manifold side, short of taking the head off to check for any sort of damage, their doesn't appear to be any.

I noticed from yesterday the exhaust manifold bit had a lot of oil round it, so tightened the bolts really tight today while the exhaust and engine were nice and hot.

Not solved it though :lol:

Not letting it dishearten me though, sall soldier on!

If anyones got any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Aside from new gaskets all round because at the minute my Paypal balance is 60p :lol:

Defo sounds like an air leak . Check for play on the shaft that runs through the carb and like you say gaskets could also be at fault

That was my first thought too, but their doesn't appear to be anything at all leaking out of anywhere, I mean I've run it for near enough a full tank of fuel, and their is no oil or anything around any of the gaskets, aside from the exhaust which is now tight.

And no play in the shafts or anything, checked that the other day :)

I think I may just order a new head gasket, new exhaust gasket and new carb gaskets.

That's when I can track some down that aren't as extortionate as they are on WheelSpin :lol:

Your problems sound like what I had to deal with for about 3 weeks with my KM.. In the end I just replaced the whole carb and it fixed it.

Not got one to test it to be honest, the carb itself appears to be operating fine, I think it's more to do with gaskets.

But I figured it was worth asking just in case somebody else had a similar issue that was an easy fix that I could try now.

I just soda search for this walbro 218 carb you have

It's made for fitting on garden tools like strimmers

Era play I'd get a new carb that is ment to run this more powerful and demanding engines

Also a good point, re-iterating my point of a new carb....I'll look what my spare one is tonight for you OHO

Cheers, I did some searching around but didn't find that information on it, it just looks normal to me, so maybe that could be the issue, if the hole is too small or something daft.

Not got any money at the moment for your spare one (if you meant you where looking for it to sell me it) so will have to wait until my Baja bits sell bud :)

Just had her fired, engine is really smooth and nice, so I can't complain.

I'm having one very minor issue (well two) first one being my dog bones are too small :( bahhh!!

Secondly, after a good rev, she sits just above idle for a couple of seconds then drops down, the idle screw is all the way out and she's not exactly running lean, so that's something I need to investigate, although I don't think it'll be too much of a problem to be honest.

If your just bashing the snot out of it does it matter?

If your just bashing the snot out of it does it matter?

Yeah, something clearly isn't right and I'm not just going to leave it doing what it's doing, it's not practical either, if it's sat stationary while waiting for someone else to get started or something and sets off, it's a PITA :lol:

Or if she bogs and conks out at the other side of the field, again, a complete PITA.

A strimmer carb? Unlucky fella, someone clearly had a 'Denton' at it in the past  :xd:

Must be some vids on the tube showing how to rebuild a carb, watch 'em and have a bash....you've nowt to lose and may just create a perfect, working item  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

A strimmer carb? Unlucky fella, someone clearly had a 'Denton' at it in the past  :xd:

Must be some vids on the tube showing how to rebuild a carb, watch 'em and have a bash....you've nowt to lose and may just create a perfect, working item  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I knew it would arrive with certain things such as this to be honest, but in fainess, I took the risk because it's more of a winter project to do up ready for summer bashing, I never really bought it with instant bashing in mind, I'm surprised the engine actually fires at all (wasn't expecting it to) so overall it's not too bad :lol: bit weird how someone replaced the rear hubs for FTX Punisher ones though :xd:

And I'll just wait I think, I'm in no real rush what with the weather and having no dog bones anyway, so don't mind waiting for it :)

I switched my fg hubs to punisher ones also the fg arms tend to rip the threads outta the fg hubs when they roll with the punisher ones this can't happen ;)

Ahhh so that's an actual improvement then not a bodge lol!

I heard aboiut the hubs ripping thread, but this has cable ties going round both top arm and bottom on both sides, so I imagine that'll help, not my bodge but if it does the job, no point spending more money on alloy hubs just yet :lol:

Well I've fit the gaskets tonight, I didn't bother with head ones merely because it looks absolutely fine, the bolts are very tight (I couldn't tighten them anymore) and it's not leaking anything when running.

Made a stupid mistake though, after putting it back together I forgot to check how open the butterfly is when radio gear is on, it looked fine when off, turned it on and went outside, absolutely nothing, came back in because it's now dark and noticed the carb is closed with radio gear on :lol: I must have knocked a trim or something stupid.

Will try again tomorrow with the carb actually open :whistling: