• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHO's mucky Marder.

Oh How Original

I suppose I better put a thread up so FTI stops bugging me about it :tease:

Yeah anyway, my Marder arrived yesterday, given her a full strip down, rebuilt just about everything with new greases, oils etc... Fitted the Switchblade.

She needs some dog bones to be running, which are on the way. (huge thanks to Paul!)

Not really got any major plans in terms of upgrades, the shocks where in terrible condition which made me think of getting some MCD Evos, but now they've been rebuilt with new oil and given a good clean they're actually fine.

She currently has a Beetle shell which I'm not 100% if I like or not yet, I'll know after the first bash, so a quick one for you folks, what would a shell sell for? Will also come with the FG pods etc... Not in the greatest of condition, a few cracks but very very bashable still?

I'm planning on alloy front hubs as the plastic ones are notorious for the threads ripping out.

Aside from a nice tuned pipe and a couple of other niggly bits, she probably won't change a whole lot for a while.

How she sits right now..

IMG_2998_zpsafbbc57a.jpg

It still needs a good clean up to be honest and some repair work, but it's growing on me, I never used to be a fan to be honest, but with a spoiler, it looks good.

Just waiting for the tub thing to arrive to fit it to the buggy properly.

Also need to find some better quality and bigger stickers for a proper job :lol:

Indeed, no need to swap for a Baja, as the main component which seems to cause you all the grief is common to both ;-p

I can't decide if you've been just plain unlucky or are a bit of a masochist with gassers....any man who doesn't learn from his history is doomed to repeat it, so the saying goes....

Indeed, no need to swap for a Baja, as the main component which seems to cause you all the grief is common to both ;-p

I can't decide if you've been just plain unlucky or are a bit of a masochist with gassers....any man who doesn't learn from his history is doomed to repeat it, so the saying goes....

Definitely just unlucky :lol: not had the best run with 2 strokes to be honest.

Although in fairness, one of my Bajas arrived in half (well bet up nearly in half anyway) which wasn't my fault and the Punisher arrived with a cracked crank case, which again, wasn't my fault, so they didn't even get off the blocks :lol: they went straight back.

Glad to be back in the 2 stroke arena though, it helps I've got a few lads very local to me that run large scales, Paul has his Marder and Ray has a Punisher and a Baja, so it shouldn't be hard to arrange some decent 2 stroke bashes, intsead of just running round the quarry on my tod lol.

Bit of a late update but had her fired up today, the engine sounds good, nice compression and she ticked over nicely, started revving on her own a little bit, but I think I know the reason (all batteries were fully charged by the way)... The spring on one of the butterflies seems to be loose, and with the vibrations from the engine, it seems to be opening and closing it a bit.

Sadly the pullstart is fubared, so got to wait now to get one of those.

I've now reset the main butterfly (idle one not choke) and going to see what happens when the new pullstart is fitted.

If the same issue arises then do I need a new carb, or is their a trick to stiffening up the spring so it can't be opened by the vibrations?

Would it help if I wound in the idle screw and then altered the throttle linkage side to close the butterfly back up, if that makes sense? At the moment the screw is wound all the way out, it arrived like that, so could that be causing it, if the bit attached on the outside that operates the butterfly (no idea what it's called LOL) has nothing to press against?

One good thing is I can't wait for the new bits to arrive and really get stuck in putting them on, as I've got a couple of other little trinkets coming too :D

On the plus side, the little bit of wheeling I did manage to do, the diff seems fine and the brakes work reasonably well but a lot of people seem to fit discs, so may have to look into that as well, although not got like

the idle screw limits how far back the butterfly can go, so screwing it in is only going to make it idle faster, the throttle trim can not counter it.

at the very least make sure the idle screw is touching the metal plate thingy (i don't know its name either) if it is vibrations causing it then the servo can atleast push it against something to limit it.

failing that see if putting the idle screw in a small way and raising the idle speed stops it, i know if mine are set too low they don't idle evenly due to not enough air/fuel flow so maybe that will stop it.

as for the spring it usaly best to replace them once they loose their strength but you can pull them open slightly and it will give them alittle more life, however while you can do this afew times you can stretch it too far and it won't do a thing.

there is also the possibility that you just need to clean it up or rebuild it, the outside my be clean but the last owner may have never opened it up to clean it out.