• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie Drifter Sakura d3 an TT-01

mx steve 71

I did a deal recently as i fancied having a go at drifting. I got a TT01 an a Sakura D3 cs. Not goin to try an do the lot so thought id start with the start with the d3! Tried it in the front room an seemed ok then took it outside an was awful. Surley the centre belt should hav a tensioner? sounds like it slips now an again. Any advice would be mucho welcome 

Welcome to the battlefield. :)

Yeah a lot of D3 owners have noticed the same and made up a tensioner to stop it from happening. Worth doing a little mod for that. :)

yeah ive put it to 1 side for now as i need to sort that belt out! i got the tt01 going today! gota admit i was a bit disheartened when i tried the d3 as it just seemed so hard. The tt01 was good tho an im glad i got it running as after my run with d3 i realy didnt think i had made a good move! The d3 looks mega compared to the tt01. Think i just need to get the d3 set up properly. The tt01 doesnt turn in as well but i could hold a drift real good (well in my eyes anyway) But i think i need to swap out the steering servo as it doesnt centralize when cuming back from the left?? ill get sum pics up later to giv you more of an idea of what im dealing with as you lot will clearly know more about it then me.

cheers     

The thing with a better chassis is exactly that, if setup poor or technique is not great, it pretty much amplifies that. With the TT01, yeah it drifts but its only really a 50/50 power setup. The D3 is more advanced and usually has a cs setup so a bigger rear power bias which does require it needs a little more finesse.

If I was you, the TT01 is fine for everyday bashing but the D3 will reward you better once you start watching a lot more of the RC drift videos and see how they drive. Usually the Japanese stuff is what you want to watch but its annoying since you cannot hear the cars to understand how to use the power better as its usually dumped with some trashy techno noise.

Your other bet is visiting Radshape RC in Birmingham one Saturday. They have their own track and one of the guys there actually competes in the D1RC so worth getting driving tips while you are there. :)

I went over to radshape a few weeks ago! had a go on the mountain with my TF2 an fell of the back of it :( there wer 2 lads there drifting around while i was there. the 1 kid was realy struggling with his car then 1 of the staff members had a go with his cars an made it look easy! Prob the guy your on about   

Just to add, I bought a D3 as my frist CS chassis, and it is a steep learning curve. Spend time getting the settings right so you have an even platform to work from, then just build your skill slowly.

I'm using a local car park a couple of times a week, and spending an hour at a time, and after a few sessions can already see improvements. Starting with holding a nice wide cirlce, the building to dogleg corners and tighter circles at the moment.

Don't be disheartened, the D3 is fine to start with, just don't go throwing money at it, assuming that it will make you better. Practice practice practice :)

yeah ill giv it another go if it stops raining. Realy need to sort the belt out 1st tho.  Just been an got sum paint for my new shell as the 1 i got with it is awful. 

im having issues with this centre belt!! Its so slack it jumps/slips like mad! Has any 1 got any pics or links to sumwhere that i can see what people hav done to tension this thing?  i made 1 but it doesnt seem to make much difference. I believe my car used to belong to Oh so simply an there was a build thread about it.

thats the 1! ill get sum pics up of how it is now as theres stuff missing. the tensioner has gone an sum other stuff. will do it tomoz as ive been painting new shell

Hahahahahah i didnt even know you could fall off the back! it was such a loud bang lol. didnt do the cab of my tf2 much good tho lol. i think i had the manual with the car ill hav a look. I take it it tells you how to set it up?? plus wheres the best place to get new wheel an tyre  sets from as 1 of mine broke yesterday. think i need 9mm offset but wouldnt mind havin them tyres that hav the camber on them. will get su, pics up later ;) an you can let me know what ya think to new shell 2 

the manual is pretty basic tbh but it does show you how to make it as it should i followed this when i rebuilt mine and everything seems good. some tweeking for setup is defo needed. as standard it is very very tail happy. the stock wheels i believe are +6mm, i would defo get some decent rims rather then some cheapo ones which will break in a few runs.

looking forward to the new shell. :thumbsup:

If you want wheels I have some brand new 11mm 5 spokes in yellow, or some used 8mm 5 spokes in black, 10 posted for either of them ;)

As for tyres what surface are you doing drifting on?

If it's tarmac then you want the mst great angle Harders, they have the camber on the tyre and are great for tarmac,

If on carpet then the ga26 hards are good for it if you want camber, or the csr tyres :)

Ive been on tarmac outside my house at the mo. Will be takin it to radshape's drift track soon once ive got it all sorted. Like the title im new to drifting so as far as wheel an tyres go i havent got a clue

Well wheels are what you want, and style, offset to fill your shell, mst ones are just good and strong :)

Tyres, for tarmac its mst great angle Harders, for radshape I don't know, you will have to ask teshi!

Heres sum pics

1st up D3

Drifters002_zps54acbf1e.jpg

Heres how slack the belt is

Drifters003_zps601549c3.jpg

Heres the tt01

Drifters004_zpsf4928081.jpg

Still havent finished the shell yet! Hence the masking tape thats all over it! Not sure what its goin to turn out like as this shell has been sat with loadsa stuff in it at a friends house for about 8 years. i did the trim along the sides 1st in black. Not sure what spoiler to go for hav it raised or lower down?

Drifters010_zps916afb8d.jpg

Need wider wheels as when the shells sat in centre the wheels look lost in the arch

high spoiler

Drifters006_zpse61ad828.jpg

Im not sure i havent done a lot with the Sakura. i take it theres a part number on the belt? as im not counting teeth lol. could do with stripping it an starting again i think.

if my missus new what this stuff cost lol heads would roll ;)

Had my Ducati 748 stolen last night!!! Cant believe it!!

stolen4_zpsc93aa76e.jpg

if id hav court them doin it the rc cars would be wrapped round there heads!!!!