• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where am I going wrong?

JimmyTheDinosaur

List it as a buy it now, then bidders have thd chance to make an offef close to that, there is leway for haggling.

If you get lucky you get a sale much quicker than an auction listing. Works for me.

Here's your problem http://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-cat-sx3-s1-assembled/rc-car-products/39110 if its that price for one new then you've got no chance as most cars sell for at least 50% their original value so putting a buy it now price at

Edited by fatboyneil

You've linked to the assembled version but have said in the listing you built it yourself which starts to raise a few eyebrows. Might also help to list it as ARTR as you aren't just selling the kit. The pictures will be costing you, but it isn't clear why you have (very) close ups of certain areas - are you trying to highlight any flaws as this isn't apparent in the listing?

Looking at other listings your starting price for bidding is probably a fair selling price but as stated putting that as the starting price will put people off. I'm resigned to losing a large amount of anything I've spent on rc as prices plummet the minute it is built or used.

Bit more of a gamble but starting a 99p auction listing timed to end on a Sunday evening leads to relatively more interest and I have rarely not reached what I'd see as an acceptable sale price. If you aren't comfortable you can always add a reserve, but make sure it is realistic (ie: probably your current starting bid price or 10-25% lower). Reaching a reserve doesn't stop further bids being made...

TBH your previous feedback won't help either with such a high starting price given the negative is also rc related. Also, people can see your completed listings and may be wondering why there is no interest in this car after it has been listed a few times already.

When I sell on ebay I try and avoid things like summer holidays as interest (and bidders) appear to be lower, and there seemed to be very low prices during 'back to school' time last year (not sure if this is normal though). Bank holidays can also be a killer on final selling prices if it is sunny :) Depends how desperate you are to sell at the end of the day though...might also be worth considering splitting the ESC / motor from the kit and just selling each piece by itself. Bit more work for you, but you might get a better price overall

Finally, check previous completed listings. There aren't many SX3's listed but will be worth seeing what others have gone for and try and work out why.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Edited by aspnet
  • Like 2

My two pence worth:

Anyone buying this is either going to

- know what they are doing, know what is, and race one already or...

- buy it on the look of it on chance.

Main problem is...

the electrical components have a massive market to all racers/bashers, but are mixed with a racers kit.

The listing

1 - start price (as others said)

2 - pictures are way too small - can't really see the details of what's on offer. when looking at listings I spend about 2 seconds trying to figure out what is on offer from the picture. I almost always skip listings with pictures this small. Looks like the seller is trying to hide something.

3 - "cover" picture is , erm, uninspirational? Use a better shot with the shell on, wheels at a good angle, maybe sticker the shell lightly? ...

4 - auction title only tells half the story - "SCHUMACHER CAT SX3 S1 4WD KIT ASSEMBLED" - no it's not is it? It's an almost ready to run cat sx3 that just needs a transmitter. no point saying it needs fresh paint, batteries and a battery charger. Fatboyneil's reaction says it all - sees the word kit and compares to the kit price on modelsport.

5 - listing text - Good that it is formatted easily to read, and with correct speeling ! ;) (you see some awful listings written by the barely literate on a mobile) but it is too long. too much white space. 

6- detailed parts list - good idea, but not clear if this is the new cost? or part of the justification for the high price? Original price list perhaps? 

7 - names/branding - looking through your links to ESC and motor... you are not making the best of them. It's not a "Sidewinder SV2 ESC" It's a "Castle Sidewinder SV2 ESC". This will then pick up anyone searching for "Castle ESC" ... likewise SR300 receiver - a "Spektrum SR300

8 - names/spec again - the motor looks like a strong one... 7700 kv? that will fly. But I can only tell that from the link. Put the motor spec with it. e.g. Sirius 3650 2-Pole 7700kv

9 - duration of listing  - 3- 5 days seems to work for me. There's a balance between spontaneity and getting enough people to see it.

10 - end time. think of the target market - let's stereotype shall we? the person buying this is working during the day, probably male, probably with all sorts of commitments (wife, kids). Time is precious. Downtime happens from about 9pm onwards... and Saturday night is the only night of the week when they go out any more (speaking from bitter experience!). Your listing ended at 7:45 - right in the middle of getting kids to bed/sorting out babysitter/getting ready to go out. Not a great time. Now... Sunday or Monday night finish between 9 pm and 11 pm... is I reckon a winner.

I think you could make what you're asking by splitting it. Easier to get a sale of each bit

- complete roller - great way to get a cheap spares car. half kit price?

• Like 3

Yes but me as everyone on eBay will just read the title and not give it a second look your listing needs to make people look so just putting Schumacher cat sx3 bundle bargain as your title will probably help or you get the idea but nine times out of ten your better off splitting things when selling such high end spec kit

Yes but me as everyone on eBay will just read the title and not give it a second look your listing needs to make people look so just putting Schumacher cat sx3 bundle bargain as your title will probably help or you get the idea but nine times out of ten your better off splitting things when selling such high end spec kit

i do quite the oppersite. i look for the ads that look like people haven't got a clue what they're selling.

It would work better split.

The SX3 is really more a racers car, the Sidewinder (being sensorless) more a bashers esc. So racers aren't going to want to pay for electrics which are no use to them, and bashers will need to be convinced the SX3 is a suitable car for them.

As it stands it has no clear market.