• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help me to keep my nuts on . .

PH1

I've lost 3 wheelnuts and stripped a couple of nice axial wheels in the last week from my savage flux. Last night I did the hex mod using some old hubs from my vorza (17mm). I drilled out the axle hole to 3mm, fitted the hexes (after a lot of filing!!) and tightened it down with a 5mm nut. Took the savvy out today and lost 2 nuts and stripped another wheel :-((

Any suggestions??

depends how much thread you have on the axles.

threadlock and double nut on each axle on my mta4 keeps the wheels on.

make sure the thread lock has time to cure. i.e. tinker the night before and then let it set.

I don't have enough space for 2 nuts. Has anyone tried shakeproof washers? Thread lock does work but its a pita when u want to change wheels. Plus any tips for cleaning off the residue??

I just do mine up super tight with a socket wrench, and check tightness every so often. Works most of the time but they do still sometimes work loose. Only real solution is a bit of threadlock I'm afraid.

What wheelnuts are you using?

Give the Answer RC wheelnuts a go. You can get them on ebay. Just make sure you get the right thread as I believe they come in 1.0mm and 1.25mm. They have a serrated flange *snigger* to lock them to the wheel and also an O ring to stop them vibrating loose. Not lost a single nut on my Losi since changing to those.

Its all about having a decent set of nuts *snigger again*

Hmmm any idea how to measure threads?? Count how many threads in a given distance eg 5mm?? Obviously with a vernier calliper :-)

Or thinking about 24mm hexes and baja wheels. Heard mixed views on that, some say works well and others say they are too heavy for a savage. What are your opinions??

Wrecked another hex on a wheel last night. Now I only have 3 wheels left which is a bit annoying!!!