• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mod idea for rear wing, thoughts?

Netroxen

I have an idea for the rear wing that will deffo make the buggy stand out from the crowd. So, with the controller having an AUX function for an extra device to be attached to the buggy, I was thinking - How about making a speed brake?

Yeah, I know - Sounds a little silly, but it could help with adjusting traction vs speed and mid-air control.

So I was thinking, if one bought a rear wing and cut out the top plane, you would essentially have a speed brake.

3BWNS.jpg

Then attach a micro or small-form factor servo and hot-glue it to the bottom of the main wing so it doesn't disturb the top surface airflow. Then essentially attach an arm with some hollow ball connectors:

Traxxas_0020_rod_0020_ends,_0020_hollow_

Then hot glue the rod to the side & back of the speed brake.

Again, the actual speed brake could be screwed in to the sides of the main wing with some counter sunk screws and washers.

Voila! The buggy now has an actuated speed brake. By increasing its inclination, the buggy subsequently creates extra downforce.

However, how would you control the steps on the servo so you can control different levels of inclination?

Would love some thoughts on it, I mean - It may not be practical, but my god it would look epic!

Ok, but that still doesn't resolve the issue of actually controlling how much you want the speed brake to be up?

If the servo is going to be placed inside the body, what would be the best way of connecting the brake to the servo?

Could be tricky.

Edit: Actually, you could probably glue some empty ball housings and use them as a path to thread some toughened para cord or something. Could attach a spring to the speed brake so the servo is required to pull it down. Could work... 

Edited by Netroxen

Maybe use a "Y" lead and connect it with the th/br servo? then by using the cord link idea you could use knots so the servo horn slips along the cord until it hits the knot then pulls the cord to move the wing. That way it wouldn't react during the throttle part... Se what I mean?

Very nice idea there mate. I'm thinking I'll have to do a project log for this. Wait when I turn up at the track and I have flaps and wings actuating all over the buggy. Tis gonna be the bat-mobile! lol

Maybe this servo? http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sh0262mg-micro-size-digital-servo/rc-car-products/39032 or this one http://www.modelsport.co.uk/savox-sh-0255-micro-size-digital-servo/rc-car-products/367262

Edited by Netroxen

You are, in effect, suggesting a 'DRS' system.

What you want is a y-lead, a servo mounted at the rear of the buggy, and a large control horn ( as used on plane ailerons). Use a spring/collet arrangement, as you have on throttle and brakle anyway, so the rod is not moved when you accelerate. You also want a 'stop' so the air pressure downwards on teh wing isn't going to stress the servo. Then...when you brake, the flap will come up.

Might be better to use 2 wings....and leave stubs of the wing at either end to make the stops.

• Like 1

If you put a four way (cross) servo horn on the th/br you should be able to connect it to that?

How about DRS? Use the aux on a servo to flatten out the wing for long straights then normal position and finally the brake function :)

Would you be able to show me some pictures of the items you mentioned so I know what to look for, Google isn't bringing the right things up. For example, what do you mean by spring/collet arrangement?

This is getting ambitious, but how about a PCB with a gyro chip and have it control a flap depending on the angle at which the car is flying at. It could try and maintain a completely flat landing essentially...

Similar to what 3D Nitro helis use for  stabilization. 

Edited by Netroxen

What speed will the vehicle be doing...weight of vehicle......and what is the wing size....and what kind of angle change will it have?......just asking... :whistling:

It would be novel to have an adjustable flap on the spoiler that I will say. :)

Why not simply use the throttle/brake servo? Have the wing sprung in the up, high drag position. At full brake on your transmitter there should be no tension in the cable. In neutral the cable has pulled the wing to its "normal" position and as you accelerate the cable pulls it flatter for less down force. If you need to adjust epa etc then use a third channel and mix it with a decent transmitter.