• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Do tune pipes really make a difference?

Disco.dave

Wondering whether getting a tuned pipe is worth it? I was losing a bit of top end with the clone Dom, but to be fair it was barely bolted on. Now it's properly attached would a tuned pipe (Uber Predator for example) make much difference?

I run a recently rebuilt CY 30

Edited by Disco.dave

The Dom pipe you have is a tuned pipe.

Different pipes are biased towards bottom end or top end power. All depends on the actual pipe design. You just need to find one which suits the sort of driving you want to do.

Something like a VRC sidepipe would give you more topend. Not cheap though.

Sorry for the hijack. Why hasn't anyone made a variable length pipe that can be controlled by a servo which is connected to a 'programable thingy' that has a crank sensor?? My 1/1 car has a similar setup on the intake manifold.

u dont say what rc u got? I know for the fg theres 2 types of dom, torque and a top end pipe, I used to ave the torque one, and yup pipes make a big difference especially the popular pipes such as dom, jetpro, samba, fg to name a few

Edited by rctruckz

Have a look at the jetpro v4 duel bleed pipe,twin exits out the back its well protected and good for mid and top end.Sounds good to

I have a tuned pipe on my km 29cc (dom clone?) And fancy a change . I like the look and sound of the cpi but not for that money . Anyone using the thor or vpipe from rc modelz ?

Thats just a clone of the cpi pipe would have same performance.

the right pipe makes huge difference.take a look at the vrc clone pipe.

personally if I had to choose one set up out of :

1) crap pipe and tuned motor

2) wicked pipe and stock motor

your pipe choice should be picked according to your budget and where and how much power you want in a certain rpm range .once you fit the pipe its not the end of it.wheels, gear ratio will also play a huge part in overall performace.

your pipe choice should be picked according to your budget and where and how much power you want in a certain rpm range .once you fit the pipe its not the end of it.wheels, gear ratio will also play a huge part in overall performace.

No doubt a wicked pipe and stock motor is an unbelievable combo!

Tuned pipe is better, but you pay a cost in added acoustics ( loudness )

as the engine turns and spits out exhaust gas, it is also drawing in fuel.

some of this fuel goes futher than the barrel and enters the exhaust port, 

a tuned pipe, usues the acoustic waveform from the engine gas to rebout the wavefront

back down the exhaust this pushes that unspent fuel back into the barrel ,

its compressed and burnt, then released as gas. have to remember this all happens very quick.

the same gas that rebounded the unspent fuel is still in the expansion chamber when the second burn is ejected

the second acts upon the first thus creating the wavefront.

a slow acoustic wave bounce back will produce a weak force back down the chamber.

a fast acoustic waveform will rebound a fast waveform back down the chamber.

the speed what the waveforms are rebounded effects the engine and hence power, in low to mid - or top end

jus thought id point out that not all tuned pipes are loud, I have an fg tuned pipe on my mb and its as quiet as the stock pipe, I used to have a silencer on it to which made it much quieter than the stock pipe! but taken the silencer off as is stuck out to far

jus thought id point out that not all tuned pipes are loud, I have an fg tuned pipe on my mb and its as quiet as the stock pipe, I used to have a silencer on it to which made it much quieter than the stock pipe! but taken the silencer off as is stuck out to far

same as the pipe i have atm on my marder gives a great boost high up the rev range as you dont really need much if any extra lowend grunt on a marder unless you want to pull wheelies all day long

I have tries near all top range pipes on various stock and tuned motors and the best combo I used was a Zen 28.5 and a GBE end bleed.Excellent right throughout the rev range on a full alloy 5T with stock gearing.Another good set up was a Samba JA on a stock 26 with stock gears.

Hello

Can you please provide name of this pipe and where you bought it from

Thank you

Hello

Can you please provide name of this pipe and where you bought it from

Thank you

this one dude http://rc-car-online.de/shop/en/products/fg_6299-6299-the-new-fg-steel-power-1:6-tuning-pipe-for-fg-2wd-4wd-off-road-monster-and-stadium-models-set.html its usually on offer of the month for about 120 euro, great pipe cant fault it.

• Like 1