• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

charged the lipo but didnt use it

nivermind

I charged my lipo on sunday morning but never got the chance to use it.

do i run it down or just leave the charge in it as i probably wont get a chance this weekend? i was thinking of sticking the rc car (ftx carnage) on a few bits of wood and advancing the nob on the remote so it constantly runs for so long to run the battery down?

ive only the powerpal pocket lipo charger that i got with the car.

I tend to leave mine fully charged for a week and not had a problem any longer then I run them down to just below 3.8 then storage charge them a week should be fine

as you only have the standard snail charger you don't have the luxury so might as well leave them full for the week and try and buy a better charger when funds allow

Edited by wangerman69

Storage charge is usually around 60% of the lipo's capacity, which is something like 3.8ish volts per cell.  Anything lower than that you are near the low voltage cut off point on the esc, depening how you have the lvc point set on the esv itself.  Never have the cells in a lipo below 3 volts, it can damage the lipo.

ive the low cut off point set up. (cant exacly remember what i set it to but its a notch above what it came as standard, on the wee control)

ahh  not to bad then, just didnt want it to blow up or do something funny if i left it fully charged for a week or so.

i have left my lipos fully charged for months it does no harm.

Yes it does, the high voltage corrodes the terminals.

Always put to "storage" people, always.

ive the low cut off point set up. (cant exacly remember what i set it to but its a notch above what it came as standard, on the wee control)

ahh not to bad then, just didnt want it to blow up or do something funny if i left it fully charged for a week or so.

Don't leave fully charged more than a week.

Yes it does, the high voltage corrodes the terminals.

Always put to "storage" people, always.

Don't leave fully charged more than a week.

Really well i have 5x 6s lipos that are fully charged and have not been used in months and there 2 years old! i also have 4X 3s lipos that are 3 years old and often spend at least a month between uses and there only crappy Turnigy and Zippy lipos and nothings coroded so thats just a mith!

Really well i have 5x 6s lipos that are fully charged and have not been used in months and there 2 years old! i also have 4X 3s lipos that are 3 years old and often spend at least a month between uses and there only crappy Turnigy and Zippy lipos and nothings coroded so thats just a mith!

They don't corrode on the outside, it's all internal where you can't see it. Chemical reactions that aren't initially noticeable.

I always storage charge my cells, either up to, or down to 60% of stated capacity. It really is worth doing, but I do respect that they're your cells to with as you please.

They don't corrode on the outside, it's all internal where you can't see it. Chemical reactions that aren't initially noticeable.

I always storage charge my cells, either up to, or down to 60% of stated capacity. It really is worth doing, but I do respect that they're your cells to with as you please.

I don't doubt your right but all i meant by that was for cheap lipos that have seen moderate use and are still going strong after 2 and 3 years it don't have a massive effect! but if your a cautious type of guy then you do what you think is right.

:thumbsup:

I completely agree with the Admiral.

If you do not have the capability on your charger to put them into storage (3.8v per cell) then whizz them up the road for 10 minutes to discharge them a bit.

It will prolong the life and "punch" of your batteries which is good maintenance.

I completely agree with the Admiral.

If you do not have the capability on your charger to put them into storage (3.8v per cell) then whizz them up the road for 10 minutes to discharge them a bit.

It will prolong the life and "punch" of your batteries which is good maintenance.

Yup, couldn't agree more. The peak voltage of 4.2 quickly drops off, just 5-10 mins of ragging up and down will get a 5000 mah pack somewhere close to storage. Close enough at least.

I've got 3 yr old packs that'll still flip an MT on it's roof, and that's only on 4s!

Storage FTW!