• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is it normal to break something every time?

Rossyra

Hi. I always break somethin, whenever I go  out with my summit. It's normally somethin I've made as somethin that breaks before it breaks somethin more expensive.Like the drive pins. they break before they break the drive shafts :)

What did i break today?

Pull start 3 times 

magically vanishing kin pins 

magical vanishing engine bolts 

nearly stripped my clutch bell cos of the above

lost several body pins ...found em now lol 

all in a days racing :D 

Reading these posts, I must be either really lucky, or a better driver than I thought. Even when racing in the high-contact stock classes where raw beginners and seasoned pros raced together, I usually went home at the end of a night's racing with no breakages. And now that I no longer race and just bash for fun, I haven't broken anything in months!

Reading these posts, I must be either really lucky, or a better driver than I thought. Even when racing in the high-contact stock classes where raw beginners and seasoned pros raced together, I usually went home at the end of a night's racing with no breakages. And now that I no longer race and just bash for fun, I haven't broken anything in months!

You're not doing it right!

If its any consolation mine break just taking them out of the car, and I only 'bash' on a flat field. I've seen people with firestorms for example really give them some abuse on 3s with no problems. My mrs has broken the bulkhead on hers twice on nothing more than 2s on a flat field.

Rc can really suck sometimes!

you can be really suprised at what little damage actually happens for something you expect to do a big repair for, and vice versa where something seemingly small breaks everything :P 

i smashed full throttle into a kerb, and only had to replace a rear axle and a steering knuckle screw had come off, my pipe was hanging lose, but that was it, nice easy fix, was so suprised,

You're not doing it right!

lol, :P 

As soon as you start the engine or plug in the lipo, something's bound to break! I did a couple of straight line runs just to tune the engine....I still rolled it without the shell and scuffed a load of parts including the engine head! :(

As above really, spent a hole morning bashing the baja on sand dunes and very rough terrain and broke nothing. At the end of the day just running it around hit a lorry track in the hard mud awkwardly and broke a rear hub.

Thanks for all the advice folks. In the end I have bought a Slash 4x4 from MSUK, delivered tomorrow. Not planning on deliberately driving it at trees, but, you know, looks a bit more rugged  :xd:

Thanks for all the advice folks. In the end I have bought a Slash 4x4 from MSUK, delivered tomorrow. Not planning on deliberately driving it at trees, but, you know, looks a bit more rugged  :xd:

looks good, 

did one catch fire at the end? :o haha 

LOL stirling effort.

When it comes to breaking things its down to actually the driver, i am actually terrible at driving at my local track ill flip and roll and all sorts but because all the impacts are on the or on the body shell or the skid plate nothing has actually broken, i even saw my wing bend and flex as it landed hard on it, nothing broke! ..

yet 2 seconds later a 1/10 Short course truck collided with a 1/10 buggy, clipped his wheel and it snapped the buggies suspension arm clean! 

all about how you crash really, and another buggy, electric flipped so hard it bounced and leaped over the fence into the bushes lmfao, was hilarious to watch. 

In terms of breaking things for me?

The pull starter..AGAIN..i took it apart and then trollied the spring out for giggles because i just dont care anymore. 

When I was flat out into monster trucks, I'd take three or so out, and not come home til i'd either broken all of them or it went dark!!!

You buy cheap, you buy twice  :yes:  :thumbsup:

You are quite right, I should have known better really.

I wonder if part of my problem could be the battery I was using. It's a Nosram 5400 45c hardcase so it has quite a lot of weight to it. It's literally the biggest battery you could fit in the MM. I have a couple of cheapie Turnigy 2.2 stick packs which I think I'll keep to instead -  they are less than half the weight and size of the Nosram.

Edited by Rossyra

Obviously more weight would cause more breakages, after seeing the videos though it looks like direct impacts at speed. I find when the plastics dig into grass it causes more breaks. Does the mad rat not come with a spoiler? Maybe that would stop you snapping the rear as much if you put it back on?

No doubt you're about to tell me you snapped that off ages ago!  :xd:

Its all part of having fun.

Sometimes its also knowing when to stop 'playing'.

I tend to get bored quite easily, and look for alternative routes, spin turns, jumps, balance the (top heavy MT) truck on 2 wheels and keep it the right way up, stop and/or turn before the wall .....

If I reckon I'm pushing things a little too much and still smiling, I stop!

Al.

Obviously more weight would cause more breakages, after seeing the videos though it looks like direct impacts at speed. I find when the plastics dig into grass it causes more breaks. Does the mad rat not come with a spoiler? Maybe that would stop you snapping the rear as much if you put it back on?

No doubt you're about to tell me you snapped that off ages ago!  :xd:

It does, it's on the car in that video up until the first cartwheel rips it off   :xd:

• Like 1