• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

offcourse it will stiffen it up, but i felt great improvment when i upgraded the shocks and adjustable upper links.

With a touch negative camber on the front and back, it felt much better. Adding proline shocks, it really stays on the road.

• Thanks 1

as ive sold my wr8 and upon sorting some of my rc stuff ive found i still have various wr8 parts still,14 wheels all used and some need new tires,one set is completely brand new that i used to use when the car was shelved(blue hpi ones) also have a brand new abu dhabi shell,some shocks and random various linkages,some orange jazrider alloy steerink knuckles and some silicone diff oil,,if anybody needs drop me a pm im unsure of selling as i would have put in the fs section,i do need some 3s lipos though ;),, not sure what it would all be worth as a resale anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as ive sold my wr8 and upon sorting some of my rc stuff ive found i still have various wr8 parts still,14 wheels all used and some need new tires,one set is completely brand new that i used to use when the car was shelved(blue hpi ones) also have a brand new abu dhabi shell,some shocks and random various linkages,some orange jazrider alloy steerink knuckles and some silicone diff oil,,if anybody needs drop me a pm im unsure of selling as i would have put in the fs section,i do need some 3s lipos though ;),, not sure what it would all be worth as a resale anyways

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3 January 2018 at 20:32, Mrchippy said:

What brand lipos dose every use?

Haven't posted in a while! I use the turnigy 5000mah 4s and turnigy nano tech 4000mah 3s in series when I want to run 6s.

• 1 month later...

These look like awesome cars! i got the Kyosho rally just because it looked bigger!

Might have to try and pick one of these up too... It has been mentioned earlier in the thread that parts are really rare now?

Edited by RobFandango

• 4 months later...

Does anybody have any overheating issues with the standard ESC and motor running 2S batteries and a 19 tooth pinion? I have fitted the 19 tooth to mine and it keeps overheating and shutting down. I just changed all the wheel bearings to see if that helped but no change. Next I will change the diff bearings, would a worn diff cause this issue? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HPI WR8 2 speed.

Hey. Thought I’d share my latest mod to my wr8.
I love this car! I’ve had almost all of HPI’s nitros over the years but this one is my personal favourite.

I’ve had it around 6months now and I kept thinking, why didn’t they make it with a 2 speed ?
So I’ve converted a HPI RS4 3 2speed transmission to fit into my original WR8 centre diff mounts.

So if anyone is curious like I was. Yes it is absolutely possible to fit a 2 speed in your WR8. But it is not a 5 minute job. I had to heavily modify the diff shaft from the RS4 to fit the gap between the WR8’s original centre drive shafts.
Plus almost every job requires modding to fit the wr8s set up.

I’m taking it out to see if it works but it’s all free and lined up lovely for now. 25168464d7e7574262df07e73197a19d.jpg31fd12f815488b395945337fc51524c5.jpg

d6a2ff5b48b2e9ee43da676bace2fdc2.jpg

db87d26bfc8a86d0b7bb00f8a7211d31.jpg

58ea6b6f2e0740656ad4a1a44f2a43af.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my latest additions to the WR8. Wasnt a fan of having to remove the original body to start the car or for tuning etc. Went on the hunt for bodies that would work with the dimensions of the WR8. This is the HPI Ford F150 body. I had to cut the arch flares shorter to give me the clearance for suspension and swap the front and rear shock towers over to fit.

Looks sweet, I'm chuffed to bits with it.a82d987bc169ec288def14142a209083.jpg2f445ea71d9350c60f28eb764ceb5549.jpge5e5c2f32184b668e9f7fb51235b4eed.jpg237c1bbf2e974d6e027be87a482eca20.jpge4afd66cefa34828bb4c571af046936b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using 40t spur and 22 pinion with the stock electrics on 2s with the wr8 flux? What will motor temps be like? Will a heatsink and fan on motor keep it cool enough? Just asking as wanna see how fast I can get it going on 2s, completely stock I've had 37 mph. Will be trying it with 17t pinion soon, see how much difference it makes.

• 4 weeks later...

Rebuilt my shocks today using 50wt oil and added some bumpstops, used the ones from the savage xs.

Hopefully this will stop the shell and chassis from hitting the ground under hard breaking.IMG_20190805_231636.thumb.jpg.b153d2dba9ce645725df66f8d918b5ad.jpg

When using the smaller off road wheels I have noticed that the front ones rub on the lower arms/hinge pins leaving marks on the wheels. This only happens periodically under some combined steering suspension throttle situations when the whole assembly flexes. Has anyone else noticed this problem and if so have they been able to stop it happening?

IMG_20190813_210133_hdr.thumb.jpg.a1aaf5100a07b438c30365f98913c890.jpgIMG_20190811_094946_hdr.thumb.jpg.b02f7ca3f5f42866f092899a3398b616.jpg

When using the smaller off road wheels I have noticed that the front ones rub on the lower arms/hinge pins leaving marks on the wheels. This only happens periodically under some combined steering suspension throttle situations when the whole assembly flexes. Has anyone else noticed this problem and if so have they been able to stop it happening?
IMG_20190813_210133_hdr.thumb.jpg.a1aaf5100a07b438c30365f98913c890.jpgIMG_20190811_094946_hdr.thumb.jpg.b02f7ca3f5f42866f092899a3398b616.jpg

Used to happen to mine too buddy,i was unable to find a cure

Are you running stock suspension- in particular rigid top links? Moving to adjustable links (turnbuckles) allows you to adjust camber.

Tbh never had this issue, but I've always run adjustable, so may or may help. Either way, the ability to adjust camber is worth the upgrade, for not much cost.

12 hours ago, Wirralnitronoob said:

Used to happen to mine too buddy,i was unable to find a cure

6 hours ago, J.A.Son said:

Are you running stock suspension- in particular rigid top links? Moving to adjustable links (turnbuckles) allows you to adjust camber.

Tbh never had this issue, but I've always run adjustable, so may or may help. Either way, the ability to adjust camber is worth the upgrade, for not much cost.

Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.

I am running the stock suspension apart from the top links where I have already changed to turnbuckles using hpi parts as mentioned and suggested way back in this discussion/topic.

I have noticed that since changing to turnbuckles it seems to be happening less but I'm not sure if this is due to there being less material to rub away as time goes by.

Anyway looks like I will just have to keep making small adjustments to the front camber and hopefully resolve this issue, time will tell.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went out with the WR8 for a bit of a speed run and blast round the large car park near me.

Last time I did a speed run it was to see how fast it was stock on 2s, as it's a recent model, electrics are the EMH-3S esc, MMH-4000KV motor and SS-20WR servo, with the stock 15T pinion. The 2s Lipo I'm using is a Peak Racing Power Plant 45C 4000mah. Oh and I am using the gymkhana tyres as they have the largest diameter to hand. Using this set up I achieved 37mph.

So today I used the same setup apart from advancing the motor timing from 15.00° to 22.50° using the Flux Reload ESC Program Box V2, this timing change pushed the top speed up to 39mph (not bad imo for 2s).

I still have the scope to advance the timing by another 3.75° taking it to 26.25°, hopefully cracking 40mph.

After my speed runs I had a hoot blasting round the car park, love this car!

Edited by D4v3