• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Waterproof Car buying advice needed

nohawk

myself i have had a rustler vxl and 2 brushed slashes and all were fantasticly strong and survived some serious submerging,

the rustler went into the sea, and one slash was in a large and deep icy puddle, once retrieved, both drove away happily.....

but im looking for another basher and as much as i like the traxxas (i have had a fair few too) i find myself leaning towards a blitz or sc10 but thats more for the fact of i have not owned either of them yet......

traxxas have some very good points though, parts are everywhere and cheap, built robust, and completely rtr which is all good, there pricing leaves a little to be desired though and there resale value can be low.....

hope this helps a little, gaz. :thumbsup:

I have a rustler and a blitz. The blitz is stock and runs a 4.5T sensored system with turbo. The rustler runs 3.5T sensored non turbo. The rustler needs a lot doing to it to get it running well (I think I've got almost every rpm part on it) whereas the blitz is decent as standard. However the rustler has had an absolute thrashing with its rpm bits, it has a harder time than my blitz and doesn't break even with extreme bashing that breaks my hyper 7. The blitz drivetrain on the other hand. I kept breaking cvds so I went to dogbones. And the outdrives wore out so much I hardened a set myself but even those aren't holding up too well.

Each to his own .

You cheeky sod , I do know what i'm on about , The local track has 3 blitz and they always stop/break / malfunction before the slash . I have broke 1 body mount on my slash and that is all . The storm i have spent 300 on spares for and have the majority of part bags to prove it .

One of there blitz keeps breaking dogbone pins and the other broke the idler tranny gear .

Look mate , I'm not trying to start the age old hpi/traxxas argument but the bold area is out of line .

Is it the RTR Blitz they are running or the ESE?

What parts are breaking?

What maintenance are they doing?

Was it stock parts the broke of after market?

What were they doing to break the parts?

See what i'm getting at?

Because you don't own a Blitz your forming an opinion based upon partial information on a very very small percentage of blitz's in 1 environment.

I've been running a Blitz for 3 years.

It was the car the kids learnt to drive RC with, so as you can imagine it's been driven into pretty much everything from walls to trees.

Not much of one for snapping pics, but these pics are from when the car was fairly new, this is the type of abuse it's had on a regular basis for 3 years.

IMG_4982.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

I've got no vested interest here, i have driven the Slash 4x4 and i really rate it as a basher, i also have a ERevo so i'm not some HPI fanboi.

The Blitz is one of the toughest trucks you can own, this is no surprise any one that's owned one will tell you the same (not including the ESE in this btw).

To the op, if you can get a 4x4 Slash for around the same price as a Blitz, i'd go for the 4x4 Slash, simply because it's easier to drive and has more traction on most surfaces.

If budget is tight though the Blitz is a tough as nails great basher.

Few things that need sorting are:

No idea if it's been fixed on the newer models, but on mine the diff leaked like a sieve, so i'd recommend replacing the rubbish HPI X-rings with good old fashioned O-rings.

The steering will be fine for bashing but as you get used to the truck, it might be worth going for one of the STRC steering kits.

Other than that, drive it, bash the hell out of it and enjoy.

Its the rtr blitz that the club have , most are STILL on brushed .

Dogbones , they've done a couple of tranny gears , Slipper has melted .(It was set correctly ) The rear axle parts .

After every run a full clean and checkover/ nut tighten.

All stock parts .

They were racing on a slow track , Hardly hard bashing with massive jumps . They have just stopped on straights where something has broke , There goes my bombproof slash NEVER breaking . No jumps on the track either , ITs a touring car track with some grass . I have a firestorm , They from experience handle quite similar and i normally don't get 5 mins before it breaks .

NO , You're chatting **** !

Is it the RTR Blitz they are running or the ESE?

What parts are breaking?

What maintenance are they doing?

Was it stock parts the broke of after market?

What were they doing to break the parts?

See what i'm getting at?

Because you don't own a Blitz your forming an opinion based upon partial information on a very very small percentage of blitz's in 1 environment.

I've been running a Blitz for 3 years.

It was the car the kids learnt to drive RC with, so as you can imagine it's been driven into pretty much everything from walls to trees.

Not much of one for snapping pics, but these pics are from when the car was fairly new, this is the type of abuse it's had on a regular basis for 3 years.

IMG_4982.jpg

IMG_4981.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

I've got no vested interest here, i have driven the Slash 4x4 and i really rate it as a basher, i also have a ERevo so i'm not some HPI fanboi.

The Blitz is one of the toughest trucks you can own, this is no surprise any one that's owned one will tell you the same (not including the ESE in this btw).

To the op, if you can get a 4x4 Slash for around the same price as a Blitz, i'd go for the 4x4 Slash, simply because it's easier to drive and has more traction on most surfaces.

If budget is tight though the Blitz is a tough as nails great basher.

No idea if it's been fixed on the newer models, but on mine the diff leaked like a sieve, so i'd recommend replacing the rubbish HPI X-rings with good old fashioned O-rings.

The steering will be fine for bashing but as you get used to the truck, it might be worth going for one of the STRC steering kits.

Other than that, drive it, bash the hell out of it and enjoy.

Call that abuse , It's Nothing . It it never breaks doing that then i see why .

This is fun , Jack .

Edited by jacksprogis
  • Like 1

i run and abuse a 2wd slash on a regular basis and as yet i have had one breakage, when i tboned another slash (sorry gaz :harhar: ) vxl electronics are rapid enough on 2s and nice and stable and waterproof. not the easiest to drive as it always wants to go arse first do to being 2wd but still great fun. and less to go wrong. never had a blitaz but might get one to see whether i can break it

The Blitz is one of the toughest trucks you can own, this is no surprise any one that's owned one will tell you the same

i have owned one and it was terrible compared to the firestorm, and is not the toughest by any means. my losi 5ive is the toughest truck i have seen

there is no way the blitz is as strong as the firestorm, the extended chassis has a habit of snapping (i've done three) the front bumper bracing is pathetically weak as well, as for those pics i'm sorry but that is not bashing

the little silver firestorm is mine, and that is the same day i bought it. you clearly aren't a true basher and thus your opinion loses relevance

• Like 1

Unlike the Traxxas fan boys above i have absolutely no loyalty to any brand, i own RC cars from most major manufacturers, i don't really care what name is on the box all i care about is that it does the job i want it to do.

Good luck :thumbsup:

if thats aimed at me i should suggest you check my car history i have had 1 hpi blitz 3 hpi firestorms 1 hpi vorza 1 hpi savage x 4.6 1 savage xl 1 savage flux 2350 and 1 hpi baja i have also had 1 schumacher 1 xray 1 traxxas and i now run a losi 5ive. if anything i have brand loyalty to hpi but if it were my money i would grab a second hand slash 2wd or 4wd

if thats aimed at me i should suggest you check my car history i have had 1 hpi blitz 3 hpi firestorms 1 hpi vorza 1 hpi savage x 4.6 1 savage xl 1 savage flux 2350 and 1 hpi baja i have also had 1 schumacher 1 xray 1 traxxas and i now run a losi 5ive. if anything i have brand loyalty to hpi but if it were my money i would grab a second hand slash 2wd or 4wd

I also have no brand loyalty other than to axial .

I bet he feels Great arguing over toy cars with a 15 year old :lol:

• Like 2

Snip the meaningless waffle .

Unlike some of the kids on here, i'm not going to throw my dummy out of my pram and join in the playground "my cars better than yours" or "i bash my car harder than yours" it's up to you to read peoples opinions based upon their posts and experience and make your own comparisons.

Hahah , When I had an answer back to just insulting me , I do bet you feel good Picking/insulting/arguing over toy cars with a 15 year old .

Thats the problem on such a busy forum , there are always the ones that think they're better than the rest and take this hobby too seriously .

Thanks , Jack :lol:

• Like 2

right! think i have made up my mind, i think im gonna go for the Blitz flux which doesnt look like its released in the uk yet but i need to save some money first anyway!

please let me know if im making the worst decision of my life lol!

right! think i have made up my mind, i think im gonna go for the Blitz flux which doesnt look like its released in the uk yet but i need to save some money first anyway!

As i say the only problems i've had are:

Leaky diff - Replace HPI x-rings with o-rings

Steering a bit poor - STRC steering link upgrade

Motor weak - Mine was the brushed version so you shouldn't have this problem

Terrible Esc - As above

I've upgraded many things on my Blitz, but to be honest many of those have been pretty much useless.

I am a fan of RPM arms though and fit them to most of my RC's, i didn't have any problems with the stock ones though.

Great thing about these SCT's is the body takes a massive amount of the damage.

I hit a rock with the 2 left wheels of my ERevo and snapped the A-arm, if the ERevo had a shell like the Blitz it would have deflected the hit.

The Blitz is RWD though so throwing in a stupid fast motor on 3S is going to lead to frustration more than anything else, as it will struggle to get the power down.

For me personally though i enjoy the challenge of RWD, i've tried the rocket fast RC and i tend just to get bored doing fast runs there and back.

It's great for the first 5 mins, but after that i personally find the speed thing a bit boring.

With a well spec'd motor in a RWD though it's a challenge to get the power down on poor surfaces, so this keep me interested as i try to get the power down earlier in the corner without spinning out.

You yourself know what your like.

If you want the fastest RC the Blitz is not the RC for you.

If on the other hand you want something that needs time and patience to improve then you may well have fun with a Blitz.

While your saving i'd also keep an eye open looking for used Blitz's and 4x4 Slash's.

I prefer buying used RC's as a/ it saves money and b/ i enjoy stripping them, cleaning them up and reassembling them.

The other good thing about buying used is, if you buy say a Blitz and find you don't like rwd as long as you paid a reasonable price for it, you could sell it within 2 months and get most if not all of your money back.

You could sell a unboxed RC and loose over

Ok does that budget have to include everything ie Rtr car, lipos and a charger?

Or is that budget just for the car?

Thanks.

As above mate^?

Thanks.

Edited by DazzaClio

Hahah , When I had an answer back to just insulting me , I do bet you feel good Picking/insulting/arguing over toy cars with a 15 year old .

Thats the problem on such a busy forum , there are always the ones that think they're better than the rest and take this hobby too seriously .

Thanks , Jack :lol:

GO JACK! GO JACK! :lol:

• Like 1