• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is Rallying going to be the next biggest thing in RC?

XxSWAINY96xX

Been done before:

Around 1990 using converted buggys and wide body shells

Then again around 2000 using jack up TC's

Now a decade later again we have rally bodied SC's.

Just re-inventing the wheel......

Oh, and why they keep failing? Not as good offroad as a buggy, not as good onroad as a TC = and no better than a buggy either! This means you are left with something that looks good but isn't all that useful.

Edited by Si Coe

i would only get a rally if it was a 1/5, and i probably still wouldnt get it. Just the terrain capabilities would not be enough for me, i suppose if you run your rc's on smooth-ish areas it could be good, but the lack of chassis choice ( most just seem beefy tc's) and the rarity of them atm isnt a good factor.

They would make a nice shelf ornament for me and most likely nothing more.

I was just thinking if it's possible to get a ken block body in 1/8 scale? My SC body needs replacing

Someone always has to bring up Block :yucky:.

But Nitro is right, If they did it right and Traxxa, I mean, They don't all just stick bodyshells on existing chassis's, It could work, And it could work well.

One of the worst cars ever made spawned one of the coolest(I think anyway) Rallycross cars ever made

Who here wouldn't buy a proper scale version of a Metro 6r4

6r4_metro.jpg

Or better yet, The RedBall Citroen.

61845cit.jpg

And not one of them has got Ken Blocks flaming name on the side.

If people do get in to rallying they should just convert a 4wd buggy, as when I was racing to day I took my b44.1 in the woods for a little play and found it works really well off road and looked good to so that may be the next thing people are doing

Edited by alex97

Yeah you can build them and they look great till you run it on anything other than tarmac and the shells get battered!

Done right, You can raise the hight and still keep it looking authentic, Short course trucks are not exactly monster truck high, And every shell I have ever had has got battered, I'm not enjoying myself if it's not battered.

If people do get in to rallying they should just convert a 4wd buggy, as when I was racing to day I took my b44.1 in the woods for a little play and found it works really well off road and looked good to so that may be the next thing people are doing

This is where I started racing - around 1990 with an Optima Mid under a Sierra RS500 shell. Full size, full wide 1/10th buggy, not lowered, on regular buggy tyres. Still not as capable offroad as the same car with its buggy shell on though.....

I used a 1/8 buggy as a base. The shell is not true in propertion....but there is no reason NOT to make it so, Use a truggy length chassis with buggy arms. Stiffen up the suspension ( I am using clone 1/5 rear springs) and you avoid hte truck dragging it's backside under power. I also made hefty skid plates front and rear to make sure the wheels can;t hit the inside of the body.... job done.

ral1.jpg

The key to making a rally car able to handle terrain is to forget about 1/10 and go up a size. Normal buggy ride height can cope with offroad use, and give you options that a 1/10 can't deal with. The main reason people use 1/10 is the shells exist for the tourers.... but that does not make it the best option if you are doing it from scratch.

All the main players have 1/8 buggies in nitro and brushless ready to go

• Like 1

I think rally might have a future if there is a mind-shift regarding how they are best enjoyed.

As previously stated, a rally car is unlikely to be as good offroad as a truck or buggy, and unlikely to be as good on-road as a touring car, so trying to run one in the same way as either of these is bound to lead to disappointment.

However if run as a rally car, on a course that features a mix of terrain that is neither too rough nor too smooth, a rally car can be a lot of fun, and offer unique challenges in terms of driving and setup.

Whether or not there will be enough interest to warrant the creation of suitable courses is another question, and while I would like to think that there is a good chance of this happening, realistically I think RC rally will always be a bit of a niche activity rather than a mainstream one. Only time will tell.

Come to think about it Rallying might stand a chance that it has never really had before - thanks to Mr Block. Interest in rallying, rallycross etc has been a largely European thing, with interest from Japanese manufacturers but few drivers. Americans really haven't featured in it at all, so unsurprisingly its not a sport with a big following there.

Given that the US drives the RC market, until now any RC rally car has been a niche market product at best. But Ken Block has got Yanks into rallying, and as a result they might buy into the class. If that happens it will take off like SC trucks, but that is what needs to happen. Without US interest it will die off like it has each time in the past.