• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

EDF Powered 6s Turnigy Desert Buggy! The Final Run And Big Crash!

Dom C

My 3s li po's came yesterday (they're tiny both fit in the tray together) so I mounted the EDF up today, cut the shell out and soldered everything up and have taken it for a test spin and all went well! Going to take it for a proper speed run tomorrow on an industrial estate. :D (camera will ofc be taken!)

Some pictures, Looks awesome if i may say so myself. :D :D

photo_1_%2880%29.JPG

photo_2_%2879%29.JPG

The fan is basically mounted on two scx10 upper links screwed into cage mount bar thing and then the front is just wedged behind the shock tower for added strength. :)

Sorry forgot to get some shell off pics!

How will you stop stones flying up and chiping the finns?? dont want you to destroy your new EDF Motor...

maby some wire mesh on the front???

I should probably do something about that tbh, I've got chicken wire in the roof but its a big big and will look crap. :( I'll just leave it I think see how it goes and hope for the best!

What you've all been waiting for the running video!!!!! :D Watch to the end, there's a small fire. :xd::thumbsup:

Thanks to dad for filming it, the quality will improve soon, Youtube aint done with it.

Edited by Dom C
  • Like 1

The edf, esc and batteries are all cool and working fine so thats good.

Either its faulty or just over specced but it made a weird sound after you got past the point of sort of 4s speeds and then just gets hot real quick, worked for a bit and then that happened.

I've asked for a refund or a replacement, I'm going to get a changesun 12 blade i think though.

Something definately doesnt sound right with that.

What KV motor is in the fan?

Most cheap edf units have a 35000rpm limit so any KV over 1600 will mean it will be over-revving.

Sounds like its over-revving, and then cutting out: maybe due to a heat setting or voltage spike?

Something definately doesnt sound right with that.

What KV motor is in the fan?

Most cheap edf units have a 35000rpm limit so any KV over 1600 will mean it will be over-revving.

Sounds like its over-revving, and then cutting out: maybe due to a heat setting or voltage spike?

there's the motor http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90mm-Duct-Fan-Unit-with-2000KV-motor-RC-Jet-EDF-thrust-2800g-/320995939361?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item4abcd95421

Oh you smoked that one properly :lol: Needs bigger EDF, but looked quick as is!

I might be buying pie's changesun so it should do about 50mph with that in however I have plans for rossa using a 120mm edf on 12s in a touring car. :)

Edited by Dom C
  • Like 1

My God you are mad boy MAD!!!

on the other hand you need to do this and record it all...

Of course! :D

I happen to know the guy who owns bruntingthorpe aerodrome so could probably get up there once for an epic speed run lol. Just looking at hobbyking and it really wont cost silly money, esc is 12s

• 4 weeks later...

3 weeks ago I received a new EDF and it erupted in my face which was painful, New blades finally came today from HK so I got them and it fitted to the buggy! :)

Given it a test run around the house and all is well, Makes the old EDF seem like a pc fan. :xd: :thumbsup:

photo_1_%2887%29.JPG

Changesun 12 blade 90mm. :tease: Hobbyking 1650kv motor. Sounds epic!

photo_2_%2886%29.JPG

SPEED RUN RUN II SAT! :thumbsup: