• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Spud gun/potato cannon?

NOFX

Hi. Some scrote's been in our garden, checking out the shed. I've made a hairspray powered spud gun before, but the bbq lighter wasn't very good. Anyone got info on making a good 'un? I used cold start , it exploded :/ . That was close :) . I need something that'll scare the poop out of the scrote, without me going to prison ( I've got a 15 week old lad :) ) The government's changed the law , so I can do anything I think fit to protect my property & family :) . Thanks in advance NoFx

• Like 1

Dont even think about firing anything at someone trying to break in your shed.

All you'll do is end up getting locked up.

If you see or hear anyone trying to get in your shed CALL the Police.

The government's changed the law , so I can do anything I think fit to protect my property & family

That statement is incorrect. You cant do "anything" only whats deemed to be resonable

A note in an envelope on shed door.

inside said not it says,

" I AM WATCHING YOU !!!, I Know What Your Doing "

" PS and the cops are on the way "

if not i would hide away in said shed with a large white chainsaw mask.

scare the living daylights out of the suspect i would

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Hi, The note on the door's a good idea :) . My grandad used to make stuff like the tripwire & shotgun shell for the french resistance , he invented a supressor for the sten gun too :) got a

Dont even think about firing anything at someone trying to break in your shed.

All you'll do is end up getting locked up.

If you see or hear anyone trying to get in your shed CALL the Police.

That statement is incorrect. You cant do "anything" only whats deemed to be resonable

The po lice round here don't bother with " trivial" stuff like shed burgling. We had 2000 worth of stuff in the shed, a pair of chavs opened the door,got blinded by the security light that was at eye level in the shed :) & ran off, the po lice were called, shown the footprints in the mud, nothing was done, at all! They came back & I caught 1 of 'em, I was arrested for " false imprisonment" for locking him in the shed???????????????/ He wasn't charged :(

Wait, so you've already been arrested for locking someone in a shed, and now you want to make a "gun" to fire a projectile at someone else? :eek:

Get a better lock for the shed, or get more lights and an alarm to scare them off. As Rover Man said, you can do what's deemed reasonable, I'm pretty sure setting traps that would cause harm isn't reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, pity I know that my grandad invented it, my dad (aged 10) heard about the D day landings weeks before it happened :)

I honestly have no idea if your Grandad invented it or not.

I do know that the silenced Sten was used from 1943 onwards a whole year before the Normandy landings, so it wasn't much of a rush job.

I also know that D-day was actually scheduled for June the 5th, but was cancelled due to bad weather.

So not ever Eisenhower the supreme commander of the allied forces knew the invasion would start on June 6th until he saw a weather report late on June the 5th.

So it's impossible that your Dad knew weeks in advance as NO ONE knew it would be on the 6th.

It's also extremely irresponsible to the point of being treason that your Grandad would tell a 10 year old kid the day of the biggest invasion landings the world has ever seen.

A force who's success meant the difference between your grandad speaking German or English and a secret that meant the lives of hundreds of thousands if not million of people.

I know i wouldn't trust my 11 year old kids with a secret like that and anyone that would needs locking up.

The other thing is:

The suppressed Sten gun was only issued to the special operation executive forces (SOE), these forces were troops thatwere carrying out assassination and behind the lines working with local resistance, they were NEVER issued to regular troops.

Part of the reason was the expense, the others were that it was useless at anything over 25 yards and it was not really operational on fully Auto as it overheated dramatically, to the point where they came with a canvas cover for the silencer to stop the troops getting severe burns.

So even IF he designed it, it made absolutely no sense to have it ready for D-day as after D-day the Nazi's knew were we coming.

What you want is some fishing line and metal cabinet doors (or something similiar), stand them up and tie them to your gate. When they open the gate the doors will fall, it makes a very loud bang and they will run away with s##t running down there leg.

The amount of theifs ive caught is unreal, also scared some freinds and family with it to lol.

There alot of ways to deter theifs but best way is not to inflict pain (even though its so tempting), you dont wanna end up inside and leave your missus and kid to feel the return of the theifs.

I honestly have no idea if your Grandad invented it or not.

I do know that the silenced Sten was used from 1943 onwards a whole year before the Normandy landings, so it wasn't much of a rush job.

I also know that D-day was actually scheduled for June the 5th, but was cancelled due to bad weather.

So not ever Eisenhower the supreme commander of the allied forces knew the invasion would start on June 6th until he saw a weather report late on June the 5th.

So it's impossible that your Dad knew weeks in advance as NO ONE knew it would be on the 6th.

It's also extremely irresponsible to the point of being treason that your Grandad would tell a 10 year old kid the day of the biggest invasion landings the world has ever seen.

A force who's success meant the difference between your grandad speaking German or English and a secret that meant the lives of hundreds of thousands if not million of people.

I know i wouldn't trust my 11 year old kids with a secret like that and anyone that would needs locking up.

The other thing is:

The suppressed Sten gun was only issued to the special operation executive forces (SOE), these forces were troops thatwere carrying out assassination and behind the lines working with local resistance, they were NEVER issued to regular troops.

Part of the reason was the expense, the others were that it was useless at anything over 25 yards and it was not really operational on fully Auto as it overheated dramatically, to the point where they came with a canvas cover for the silencer to stop the troops getting severe burns.

So even IF he designed it, it made absolutely no sense to have it ready for D-day as after D-day the Nazi's knew were we coming.

Thats the one, my grandad used to build stuff for the soe, the sten gun was a machine stamped cheap machine gun,

I'll get back to you on this, just gotta google his name to find out where he worked

He worked at the "frythe" a manor house comandeered by the military. Made stuff like the derailment device, etc for the french resistance. Devious stuff :) . He worked with the guys who were got in from pinewood studios,( I heard of this in the late 70's) so they could make explodin camel poo with a german foot print in it( germans thought if there was a german foot print in a poo, it must be safe) it took a track off a tank ,so stopped the tank :). The supressed stens were issued to ground troops during D day, for obvious reasons, kill nazis without bein heard. The french countryside was a mass of fields & narrow roads, The allies hid in hedges & ripped the nazis apart , when they could. I agree with the treason bit, but my dad is a decent ,honest( beyond belief) bloke who was trusted by his dad.Maybe my Grandad kept the supressed sten quiet( Again obvious reasons) & stashed the extra

Fantastic stuff :thumbsup:

I love anything to do with WW2, my granddad fought at both El Alamein and Tobruk, it amazes me how the country had it so tough, but how the vast vast majority of people pulled together for a common cause.

I'll do some searching and reading up on The Frythe country house :thumbsup:

Don't forget the dog poop on the gripper rod :D That really stops them fast.

Hi, My dads mate'd put a drawing pin with poo on,on someone who'd pee'ed him off's thumb latch (like you get on gates) The poor sod'd stab thier thumb, then naturally stick it his mouth :shockingscary::whistling::xd: .