• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

• 2 weeks later...

So here's my lunchie!

Bought secondhand locally it came with an almost new yellow body and a nasty matt black body. It was slow and noisy, the standard shock absorbers were useless and one was broken and glued back together anyway.

New shock absorbers, some grease in the gearbox, a sport tuned motor & a set of ball races in the wheels and things were suddenly very different!

The nasty body got a coat of pink paint with glitter lacquer (girls like monster trucks too!) A set of new windows were fitted and the bumpers sprayed gold. We do swap bodies over quite often though.

Future improvements will be an extended wheelie bar, front shock brace, ballraces in the gearbox and maybe the 5th shock modification.

It's such a silly, crazy thing that bystanders just look on and smile. My little boy adores it :lol:

2017-08-14 13.08.52.jpg

2017-08-14 13.12.58.jpg

2017-08-14 13.13.56-1.jpg

2017-08-15 02.06.40.jpg

Edited by MissT
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MissT said:

S here's my lunchie!

Bought secondhand locally it came with an almost new yellow body and a nasty matt black body. It was slow and noisy, the standard shock absorbers were useless and one was broken and glued back together anyway.

New shock absorbers, some grease in the gearbox, a sport tuned motor & a set of ball races in the wheels and things were suddenly very different!

The nasty body got a coat of pink paint with glitter lacquer (girls like monster trucks too!) A set of new windows were fitted and the bumpers sprayed gold. We do swap bodies over quite often though.

Future improvements will be an extended wheelie bar, front shock brace, ballraces in the gearbox and maybe the 5th shock modification.

It's such a silly, crazy thing that bystanders just look on and smile. My little boy adores it :lol:

2017-08-14 13.08.52.jpg

2017-08-14 13.12.58.jpg

2017-08-14 13.13.56-1.jpg

2017-08-15 02.06.40.jpg

looking good....and the lunchie....;)....ran out of likes  now....:lol:

Edited by evssv
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just joined!

just got myself a lunchbox as my first RC, it’s fun as hell ;)

There’s so much information in this thread I’m a bit overwhelmed! But I’m just looking for some simple upgrades I can do to improve the handling and maybe gain a bit more speed, links to parts etc would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Jamie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ru7hl355 said:

Hi everyone, just joined!

just got myself a lunchbox as my first RC, it’s fun as hell ;)

There’s so much information in this thread I’m a bit overwhelmed! But I’m just looking for some simple upgrades I can do to improve the handling and maybe gain a bit more speed, links to parts etc would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, welcome!

I'm new to this as well (see my lunchie post above) but everybody is very helpful and there's lots of good advice available.

I've upgraded mine with a few things-

Ballrace bearings in the wheels & transmission. (£5-10ish)

Oil filled shock absorbers. (Mine were £30)

5th shock addition to the rear axle. (£8 for 2, still have the spare one if somebody wants it!)

Tamiya Torque tuned motor (so much faster & sillier!) It cost about £12.

Good luck! :D

Nikki

Edited by MissT
Spelling

Hi Jamie 

I've fitted ball bearing all round not bothered about the 5th shock

but what I did to alter the angle of the front wheels was to put a spacer under the shock bolt head and the chassis and it straightens up the wheel nicely and fitted a sports tuned motor and glued the rear tyres on

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

New to this forum and new back into RC cars.  Bought the one i always wanted as a kid, the Lunchbox and i love it!

Have been making some mods along the way.  Now looking at Lipo batteries, if anyone has some recommendation which ones fit into the lunchbox without modification? 

On the lipo subject, what does it mean 2s 3s and 20c 30c?

Pinion gears.  I have a new motor with a 1/8" shaft.  Is there an option to get the 10t long brass pinion like the standard one, or do i have to run a short one and not use the motor spacer?

Be great to hear your expert thoughts?

All the best

Sean

Sean,

This fits perfectly;

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

2s is 2 cells ie 7.4v (where each cell is 3.7v). 3s is 11.1v (3 cells).

If you're going 2S I would highly recommend the Core RC 7.4v round stick pack. I have quite a few of these, it fits every one of my Tamiya chassis' with no problems, I also have the HPI equivalent but that is 2mm longer and won't fit all the cars, certainly it doesn’t fit thr Lunchbox or Hornet and one of the HPI packs has swollen whereas the Core RC ones are all perfect and have thicker wiring.

The voltage gives you the power. You'll notice the mah figure for example 4000mah, this is the size of the fuel tank if you like, the higher this figure, the more energy the battery will store. Then you have the 30c/60c figure which is the current rating. 30c means you can discharge the 'tank' at a rate of 30c. 4000mah (milli amp hours) is 4 amp hours. At 1C, you could discharge the battery at a rate of 4 amps per hour. This is rated to continuous current of 30C. It means you can pull 30x4A. In this case 120amps is the continuous current draw with peaks/burst of upto 60c double that. With a 4A battery store, you could draw off 4A and your battery would last 1 hour (4Ax60mins=240amp capacity think of this as the size of your fuel tank). If you draw 8A it will last 30 minutes. With 120 amp draw, you would deplete the battery  in 2 minutes (240amp capacity/120A draw). Looking at your run times will give you a good idea of your amp draw. My WT01 dual Brushless 4x4x4 rig draws around 18A and depletes the battery in 13 minutes. My single motor brushless setups with a modest 9T 4300kv motor on 2S runs at around 9A and lasts 27 minutes at full bore battery testing. These are flat out running back and forth at full pelt. In reality, in the field they are lasting double that. With ESC's, the current isn't being held back like with the old msc type resistors, so any energy you don't need isn't really used. ESC's use pulse width modulation to control the speed, so rather than holding back an amount of 7.4volts using a resistor to lower the voltage that gets to the motor, they rapidly power the circuit on and off through fancy circuits to achieve the required voltage to the motor meaning much less energy waste,  you may remember how hot your old resistors would get in slow speed running, most of the battery voltage was being absorbed by the resistor, whereas in flat out running the power was flowing straight through to the motor. Brushless motors are far more energy efficient so this prolongs the battery run time even more.

I also use the proper battery pouches for safety (I use the HPI ones) but if you want it to match your battery, here is the Core RC one which is a couple of quid cheaper than the HPI one...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-lipo-locker/rc-car-products/369044

I’ve never looked back from switching to lipo. If you are using brushed motors, the default choice of esc seems to be the hobbywing 1060esc which is superb and lipo compatible and is what I use in all my new builds. Excercise caution with Lipo battery in respect of charging and storage. Never charge unattended and make sure and double make sure that charger is on the right setting, inspect for damage each charge and store them safely. Plenty of videos of lipo fires on you tube. Most of those have been purposely abused for the video nevertheless don’t under estimate the fire potential of the battery chemistry. It’s not suitable for kids I would suggest unless the adult takes care of the charging and storage. We are all running Lipo’s now in our family and the bashing sessions are so much better as a result.

hth

Nito

• Like 1

I can second the core RC battery they are brilliant, I am using one on my mad bull but yesterday I used it on my Maverick Scout and it lasted a long time!

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

On 15/10/2017 at 11:33, SPB2 said:

Nito

Amazing.  Thanks so much for the information.  

Do you also have a recommendation on an appropriate charger?

Br

Sean

You're welcome.

The Charger is a personal thing I guess, it depends what suits your needs and budget.

Personally, I have a quad charger that will charge all battery types. Although they are dearer than most chargers, I'm a believer in buy once and all that and would rather save for longer to get the right bit of kit for me than be ruled by a strict budget. These intelligent quad chargers are so versatile that for me they are worth the money. For us as a family, it is useful to be able to charge four batteries at a time and although since going Lipo we rarely use nimh, it is still useful that I can charge these and all other types. I can also charge my Futaba transmitters and regular rechargeable AA batteries off mine so it is pretty much the only charger I need. It sits in a nice transmitter case so it is all self contained. You could run it off a car battery if in the field although nowadays with Lipo's that isn't really a necessity.

The one I use was a differently branded version of this...https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-quattro-b6-ac-charger/rc-car-products/395311 but it looks like it is out of stock. I've a feeling it is no longer produced. It's been an excellent piece of kit.

This looks like the effective replacement I guess, it looks quite neat and is a little cheaper;

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-q200-quattro-charger/rc-car-products/403983 

Any of the intelligent chargers are a fair bet. As long as you can balance charge etc which nowadays means you can get a fully featured single charger for sub £40. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-s60-ac-charger-60w-6a/rc-car-products/395139

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I'm new to all this scaled goodness! but I got myself a Lunch box as somewhere to start from and spent yesterday building her with the help of my two very excited children! 

Fairly straight forward to build and we are going to take her out for some test runs tonight and iron out any problems.

I'm still undecided as to whether to paint it as intended or try something else. 

truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newbie_13 said:

Hi everyone

I'm new to all this scaled goodness! but I got myself a Lunch box as somewhere to start from and spent yesterday building her with the help of my two very excited children! 

Fairly straight forward to build and we are going to take her out for some test runs tonight and iron out any problems.

I'm still undecided as to whether to paint it as intended or try something else. 

truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

Welcome to msuk!

I'm a big Lunchie fan, be prepelared for having lots of fun! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MissT said:

Welcome to msuk!

I'm a big Lunchie fan, be prepelared for having lots of fun! 

Thank you MissT. I read through your thread and I can see that they are indeed loads of fun! I quickly ran it through the house this morning and my two children were in hysterics as the dog tried chasing it! I can't wait to take it outdoors.

• Thanks 1