• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

The Tamiya high-torque servo saver is usually a worthy upgrade.

The spiky tyres supplied with the GF-01 Heavy Dump look good and would fit Lunchie wheels.

Possibly overkill for a Lunchie, but I really like my Spektrum DX4S radio.

It is stiffer and stronger, transferring more of the servo's torque to the steering linkages, providing more precise, direct steering.

(It should also be remembered that it also transfers more collision forces back to the servo gears, so is best used with a sturdy steering servo.)

On 9/17/2016 at 21:00, XV Pilot said:

The Tamiya high-torque servo saver is usually a worthy upgrade.

The spiky tyres supplied with the GF-01 Heavy Dump look good and would fit Lunchie wheels.

Possibly overkill for a Lunchie, but I really like my Spektrum DX4S radio.

Thanks for your input XV Pilot.

Going to have a look to see what i can get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

oddly - I media blasted my lunchbox shell a few weeks ago, I now have a design for the rear shock mounts and axle brace 3d printed in abs - thinking of printing a new front grille for the LB too

My LB is now brushless with a 14t pinion - 2.2" beadlocks and the rest of the usual mods

• 4 weeks later...

Well after wanting a Lunchbox for nearly the best part of 30 years (god that makes me feel old) I've finally ordered one :D Along with a metal bearings and oil filled shocks.

Just don't know if I want to do a box art paint job or something different

• Like 1

Well after wanting a Lunchbox for nearly the best part of 30 years (god that makes me feel old) I've finally ordered one [emoji3] Along with a metal bearings and oil filled shocks.

Just don't know if I want to do a box art paint job or something different

Box art it! Coz I think they look great done like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I've got mine as Box Art, it's the colour which caught my eyes all those years ago when they first came out onto the market! Wanted one so bad when a youngster, even leaving the old Radio Race Car Magazine's out open to the page which either had a review of the lunchy or the advertisement, left in obvious places around the lounge or somewhere - and my folks still didn't get the hint for xmas/birthday haha :blink:   Finally bought one 2yrs ago. Love the yellow though, stands out so well. Been leafing through this huuuuge thread (took blinkin ages!) and I'm liking some of the paint schemes done, top work folks :good:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Santa was kind to the kids this year, and after loads of help in a thread I posted on the Electric Car forum they're now proud owners of a Midnight Pumpkin and a Lunchbox. 

We've had loads of fun with both of them over Christmas. I picked up more batteries than I needed, which is better than too few. The Lunchbox has run flawlessly so far, although the Midnight Pumpkin has had one issue. After the first drive, I noticed one of the body mount posts (hopefully thats the right name!) on the front was broken, and it had cracked the shell around the hole. I fixed the shell with some glue and ordered a replacement sprue that included the mount posts. Replaced the post when it arrived, and one 30 minute play later the same one had broken! 

I had heard that the posts on the Lunchbox failed so I had ordered some of the metal replacements, but typically its one of the parts that aren't the same for the Pumpkin. Is this a common problem for the Pumpkin, or is it just bad luck? The sprue I ordered had two replacements so I've fixed it again but I was wondering if there's any other options if it breaks again?

• 3 weeks later...

Some advice please if possible.

After more years than I care to think about I finally got a Midnight Pumpkin metallic special for my 50th birthday.

Now this is the first RC car I have ever made and do not know much about the ins and outs.

The build went fine and all works, but there is something I don't get.

I have centred the servo, but it pulls to the left when driven straight, plus the turning circle is awful and does not really turn to left at all.

What do I need to adjust please?

Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude. It's down to the basic steering set up on this chassis (pumpkin and lunchbox). You can mod the steering with parts from something else, search for lunchbox and FX10. It's not a simple mod and finding the parts will be difficult but basically it gives the chassis a double wishbone front suspension set up. This eliminates the camber in the front wheels through the suspension stroke. It will improve handling. However the servo horn remain off centre and steering links are not equal length, this causes the problems with turning left. If you can find a mod that will either centre the servo horn then that would help but it's still a basic setup with too few linkages to give a good, even turn to the wheels.

Hope this helps.

No problem.

So the upshot is that turning left will always be a problem then. Some of the videos I've seen of it turning nicley must be modified them in that case. I was surprised that it hardly turns left at all which made me think it was setup wrongly as I know you can adjust the steering rods according to the manual.