• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

Looking good!

I have another question :)

The weird springs at the rear that look like a simple bit of wire that has been curled. They didn't seem to offer any resistance and therefore the gearbox still slid around in the slots. Today one of those snapped :)

It doesn't behave or feel any different. What's a good/better replscement and am I OK to run it this week with the broken one? They didn't seem to do much anyway.

Oh the front servo stuff held up great today, hasn't loosened at all :)

They should be fine. There's also these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selections-Racing-RC-Oil-Filled-Shock-Absorber-Damper-Shocks-55-75-85-95mm-/370638504482?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item564bc6c222

I bought some shocks on ebay a few months ago that came with red springs, but I can't seem to find them again.

• Like 1

I got my pumpkin when i was 5 so my dad helped me build it and tbh i didnt know that the leaf springs were on it and never been on since first run haha. I aint gonna post photos guys because its a total wreck. Ive rebuilt it at least 3 times and the mods ive done are...

Annsmann alloy shocks all round

Stainless steel front brace that acts as a body mount(front mounts now in bonnet)

Parma lexan shell

And ive ordered 5th shock parts :)

• Like 1

Since Tamiya didn't bother in the last 27 (?) years to fix the rear axle springs, and this car is not scheduled to receive any funds for mods/upgrades, a cheap temporary fix which allows some axle movement

CAM00152_zps4938b6ca.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Well I have had 'Lunchy' a few weeks now and it is such an amazing hobby. Great to go out and have a bash. Getting my confidence up with it (it's all stock) and starting to push it a bit more. Thinking its time I got it jumping a bit, just wondered how much it can take stock? I guess the shocks would be the thing to go and I would replace them at that point.

Also considering a motor upgrade if anyone has any suggestions, I may order shocks and motor all at once to save on postage. Thinking the sport Tamiya looks good. 

Was also wondering about picking up a plastic scooter/skateboard ramp to stick in the boot of the car for jumps, anyone else take their own ramps out with them?

First things to break will be the body mounts. You can buy alloy replacements then these will rip through the chassis. A chassis is cheaper than a set of body mounts (plastic or alloy).

After that I just tend to break front wheels and I launch mine off big ramps at the skate park.

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Well I have had 'Lunchy' a few weeks now and it is such an amazing hobby. Great to go out and have a bash. Getting my confidence up with it (it's all stock) and starting to push it a bit more. Thinking its time I got it jumping a bit, just wondered how much it can take stock? I guess the shocks would be the thing to go and I would replace them at that point.

Also considering a motor upgrade if anyone has any suggestions, I may order shocks and motor all at once to save on postage. Thinking the sport Tamiya looks good. 

Was also wondering about picking up a plastic scooter/skateboard ramp to stick in the boot of the car for jumps, anyone else take their own ramps out with them?

I put a 12T Leopard RC combo in my lunchbox. It's really good. Wouldnt want to go much further as the chassis just can't handle it but this is a nice balance.

Ramps? I setup 2 of these side by side for my lunchbox or buggy. Got them for

• 1 month later...

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction I can't find any midnight pumpkin alloy body mounts anywhere I got the truck running yesterday and snapped one already! Also my shocks have been upgraded by the previous owner but the front ones seem to have alot of play in them at the bottoms? Regards

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction I can't find any midnight pumpkin alloy body mounts anywhere I got the truck running yesterday and snapped one already! Also my shocks have been upgraded by the previous owner but the front ones seem to have alot of play in them at the bottoms? Regards

Bud you want normal tamiya body mounts with a hole & screw in the centre like some touring cars they last as not abs plastic like stock pumpkin ones. Alloy with just break the body or chassis on impacts where plastic is softer so allows that bit of flex. An if body mounts go out of shape you just put them in boiling hot water & they go straight again, regards the bottom shock is it the eyelet got slop or the shock spring itself if shock spring you get shock spacers it stops the movement . If it's the lower eyelet just make a tube spacer or washer depends what way it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I've just signed up to the Forum and think it may be a useful place to ask some questions, I haven't done many upgrades but hope you guys will be able to help me out!

Mods:

•  21t brushed motor
  • New stiffer Losi springs
  • 2.4 GHz radio and receiver

I was wondering what else I could do to make mine look better, for example lights and roof rack, and for it to run smoother and handle better. Also, I really need I good alternative to the v.fragile front windscreen which just break so easily and cost a tenner a pop!

Any advice will be appreciated. :yahoo:

Welcome.

Add a set of bearings in place of the stock brass/plastic bushes, which makes for a smoother ride. Opt for rubber shielded if running off road, and drop Saabmania (forum member) a PM for said bearings :)

Better handling means installing oil filled shocks and doing the fifth shock mod to the rear.

Not come across alternate windscreens, however, for bashing perhaps purchase the Parma lexan body shell, which will take far more abuse than the stock, abs plastic shell :)