• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

stadium blitzer and 2wd blackfoot rims also fit, most 2.2" crawler tires fit the rims so there no end of tire types

got to get motivated and get these cars done

MP driver here, new Pumpkin after 30 year hiatus. Had two days, chassis braces front & rear installed as are electronics. Gear case assembled with 5th shock (Tamiya CVA) installed. Ordered additional metal shock mounts for 5th shock through Tamiya.

Threw away stock friction shocks (refuse to use) but are not having any luck so far finding 75/85mm aluminum replacements. Blue anodized are all eBay offers (want plain silver or black). All hobby/RC shops in my area either have 55mm to smaller or 95mm to bigger sizes and tell me that's what's available. Any suggestions?

MP driver here, new Pumpkin after 30 year hiatus. Had two days, chassis braces front & rear installed as are electronics. Gear case assembled with 5th shock (Tamiya CVA) installed. Ordered additional metal shock mounts for 5th shock through Tamiya.

Threw away stock friction shocks (refuse to use) but are not having any luck so far finding 75/85mm aluminum replacements. Blue anodized are all eBay offers (want plain silver or black). All hobby/RC shops in my area either have 55mm to smaller or 95mm to bigger sizes and tell me that's what's available. Any suggestions?

Try fusion hobbies, gmade shocks

Thanks; name brand search on eBay turned up a plethora of shocks. Gmade have the look I'm after and found a pair of each size for under $60. W/free shipping. Downside, gonna have to wait awhile for the international mail.

Meanwhile, installed newly arrived steering rods and detailed/sticker'd one of the three bodies purchased for this build (metallic version).

Propped up chassis, mounted tires and fit body on for eye candy; looks good, though the flame stickers have much clear between flames which obscures metallic shine..... Thought about using an exacto to trace edges of flame and remove but think this will just ruin the metallic plating. Not much else to do until shocks arrive. Will post a picture once task is completed.

• 2 weeks later...

Fastrax shocks are the same as ansmann

Fast166 75mm shocks

Fast167 85mm shocks

They also do the soft, med and hard springs just add s,m or h to the end of the part No.

still not found anyone cheap enough to make the axle braces, so I made a 2 sets up not quite perfect and still need the last few stages of polishing

002_zpse161d9c4.jpg

Edited by flash22

Milled and drilled on my Milling machine manually, fettled with a file then a course and medium polish, they need another round of polishing tbh

All the hex bar stock was done on the lathe, centre drilled, 2.5mm drill down 25mm on the main cross piece, faced off both ends, 3mm tap in 2 stages and then finally a polish

10mm hex spacers same as above but just a 3mm hole drilled with no thread

All made with hi spec aircraft grade aluminium

there not perfect and its the first time I have used this mill after killing my last mill 2 years ago, so a bit out of practice

Seeing as I am a huge Lunchbox/Pumpkin fan I thought it would be rude not to participate in this thread :)

No.1 Lunchbox - I bought this Lunchbox as a Midnight Pumpkin with no body from a friend when we were about 15 (20 years + ago!). It came with no radio gear and was in pretty bad shape generally - although it did come with four Monster Beetle CVA shocks.  Its been very much enjoyed over the years and has had most of the usual mods applied to it: bearings, HD steering upgrade, centred servo, 3rd rear shock, front and rear braces, CRP front end with custom brackets (copied from this forum) to move the shocks out nearer the wheels, Junfac rear shock mount/brace and is powered by an Ansmann 28t motor which when coupled with a 2S lipo is more than fast enough for where I like to run it :)

P1060270%20%28Small%29.JPG

P1060271%20%28Small%29.JPG

lunch%20%28Small%29.jpg

dirtylunch1%20%28Small%29.jpg

hotanddusty%20%28Small%29.jpg

No.1 Pumpkin - Bought from this forum for my lad - its re-re chassis with an original Pumpkin body - already came with bearings so the only mod I have made to it is to fit a Carson Truck Puller 80t motor - it will still wheelie but the top speed is much easier for my 4 year old to control (he has moved onto a Clod now - so this is waiting for No.2 son to get old enough!)

P1060274%20%28Small%29.JPG

No.2 Lunchbox - Built from a "Modelzone bargain" Pumpkin that I bought NIB - this truck was built to compete in the vintage class at my local off road track.  Its sole mission was to not come last!  It has the CRP front upgrade with the custom brackets again, CVAs all round, Parma lexan body, Hornet 18t pinion (the top speed with the 10t was just not fast enough on the required silver can) - wheels are Super Blackfoot front and Mud Blaster rears wearing Schumacher Mini-Spike tyres to try and get some grip on the astroturf surface.  Unfortunately it has only practised and never raced in anger due to not enough numbers - but for now its sitting pretty on the shelf and its time will come!

P1060275%20%28Small%29.JPG

P1060276%20%28Small%29.JPG

No.2 Pumpkin - its another NIB Modelzone bargain - tempted to build it but for now its just as it came...

So here they all are - they all have a running purpose which I like and I love them all :) Loving this thread - the front anti-roll bar is an inspired idea and I can see me attempting something similar...

P1060268%20%28Small%29.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just ordered my first model in years and have a lunchbox on the way! ordered a bearings set whilst I was at it so that will be my first mod!

Excited to play with it and then tweak over time :)

Wondering wether to personalise it or go yellow with the paint, does anyone have any links to places that do cool decal sets for the lunchbox?

Edited by nohero