• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

If you're caught do 35 in a 30 are you offered a speed awareness course.

Jason1974

I can vouch for bad speedo setups

when I did my cbt a few years ago the bike I used registered 30 as 40. The instructer knew his bike was acurate at 30 so they checked all their test bikes and they were all out by 5-10mph.

I wonder if they can ticket an RC car though... Hmm

David

Edited by Davidpal92

Interesting to read the speed limit folklore......but....

1) Police are not required to give ANY leeway. If you are doing 31mph in a 30 limit you can be prosecuted successfully. Some forces/officers show discretion....but there is no requirement to. Argue that point with a PC and you will just get told the speed limit is the maximum you are permitted to drive, not the speed you are expected to travel at.

2) Speedo inaccuracy is no more than 5% and again...not an excuse. you can challenge it in court if you wish...but lose and you will get costs. A speedo is not deliberately set fast..it is meant to be accurate.

3) You may be offered a speed awareness course instead of a fine/points... but don't bet on it. Most likely they will just trot out the standard 3pts &

I can vouch for dodgy speedos, i do 40mph in 40mph zones and the car in front is pulling away from me and the car behind gains on me and before i know it, we are driving in convoy. I reckon 50mph on my speedo is 40mph, judging by other peoples driving.

Can't wait to have my corrado back and stick it to them

If you are with 10% plus 9mph of the speed limit then you can go on a speed awareness course, I picked up my new car on the 14th of march and got flashed doing 65mph in a 50 on the motorway on the way home! (dropped to 50 for a mile and never saw the signs) unfortunetly I was 1mph out of the range and had to take the 3 points and

Most uk police force did use 10% rule but not no more.

If your speedo did read 35 then as said you would be doing 32 33 max. But the new law is for a 30mph zone, the upper limit for a speeding course would be 42mph. So yes if you get a ticket you should be offered one, I opted not to take the course as it was a lot cheeper to take the points.

Also to check your speedo use a sat nav, my X5 reads 65mph at 70mph when I check with Tomtom. Also checked at 30 and was showing 28 on Tomtom.

Sent from the Iphone via talktapa

I can vouch for dodgy speedos, i do 40mph in 40mph zones and the car in front is pulling away from me and the car behind gains on me and before i know it, we are driving in convoy. I reckon 50mph on my speedo is 40mph, judging by other peoples driving.

Can't wait to have my corrado back and stick it to them

Him not been funny but who said the drive in fronts doing 40, he could be doing 38-39-40 or Evan 41.

Him not been funny but who said the drive in fronts doing 40, he could be doing 38-39-40 or Evan 41.

what i'm getting at is people seem to do 50mph in the 40mph, then get onto national speed limit roads and i catch them up again as they still doing 50mph

2) Speedo inaccuracy is no more than 5% and again...not an excuse. you can challenge it in court if you wish...but lose and you will get costs. A speedo is not deliberately set fast..it is meant to be accurate.

It is often more than 5%, and it is deliberate. http://eur-lex.europ...19970725:EN:PDF

" The speed indicated must never be less than the true speed. At the

speeds specified for the test in 4.3.5 above and between these speeds,

there shall be the following relationship between the speed indicated on

the dial of the speedometer (V1) and the true speed (V2):

0 < V1 - V2 < V2 /10 + 4 km/h"

So 10% + 4km/h is the allowed innaccuracy for speedos, but only to overread.

(edit: the forum doesn't seem to like the code for the correct symbols, but it's in the link)

Edited by timaaay

what i'm getting at is people seem to do 50mph in the 40mph, then get onto national speed limit roads and i catch them up again as they still doing 50mph

Ok

But you must have then seen the nobs doing 35ish in a 40 and then carry on doing that speed in a 30 dum as ****

use your sat nav to give you an idea...i do 58 in the average speed motorway sections using sat nav and cruise control...speedo says 64..

(oh and this is on those sections where they put cones out on the hard shoulder and no one works on the road for 6 months ..namely about 40 miles of the M1 from luton up to northants)

The 'accuracy' of the speedo depends on a number of things - tyre wear/inflation being a significant part of it. These days they are calibrated to be pretty accurate with fresh, correct inflated, manufacturers spec tyres - changes to those will knock that accuracy out, and even slight wear can make a surprising difference.

I've been caught at 32 in a 30 zone - it does happen. Mobile camera vans especially offer no leeway at all. Technically its still speeding so I was offered the course.

You should be ok mate, worst case scenario is a few points and a fine.

Heck i was done doing 96 on the way to the Bank Holiday Bashfest on the A1(m) and managed to get away with points and a fine.