• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Lunchbox Build

n_d_fox

Flash22 - I think that RadShape bumper looks cool... agree, the original does make a good carry handle but i reckon that new one will give loads more protection.

I've spent a bit more time on the van over the weekend... got it completely stripped and cleaned and have started the rebuild. Gearbox is built with new bearings and cleaned / re greased gears etc.

I've ordered up some shock mounts for the new shocks. I tried to find something suitable in a few shops but couldnt find anything that would work. Once i get those in i can carry on with building up the chassis. i can notch out the gearbox housing for the 5th shock mount while i wait and mount the bracket for the shock on the chassis.

no need for a bracket on the 5th shock, drill a hole through the bulkhead and use a nut and bolt with a spacer (have a look at my pics)

Mate, thanks for the tip... looked at the pics of your chassis and can see what you mean... perfect ;)

Just a quick question, the screws, bolts and spacers you are using. Where do you get them from ? There are a few in the screw bags i bought extra but if i dont have enough, wheres the best place to get them.

Thanks, Nige

i use / replace the bolts with stainless steel m3 nuts and bolts (kayfast1 on ebay) spacers i had knocking about, iirc there about 4-4.5 mm with a 3mm hole in the centre iirc there shock mounts/sleeves if all else fail use 2/3 nuts and use nyloc's or use some thread lock so thay dont shake loose

Edited by flash22

Got a bit more work done with the chassis last night. Notched the gearbox for the shock and mounted that to the chassis.

Also got the rear shocks mounted so the rear end is really taking shape now.

I'll grab some pics and post them up in a bit.

Thanks, Nige

there a good little messing around truck, stick a battery in and off ya go, theres loads of vids on youtube, get a few together and there great fun, cheap to fix too !!

yes as long as you ballrace it and use decent grease in the gears, i run one of mine with a 19x2 orion brushed motor and thats a mare at times as you can see there are some must have hopups

sorry FOX I dont mean to hijack your thread

LOOK gr8 m8 i was looking at one are they any good.... :)

I suppose it depends what your definition of good is...lol... theres certainly still plenty of love for the old LB and they are massive fun.

I have never run one, this build is my first and my start back into the RC world. i'll see where it takes me ;)

As Flash22 has said, have a butchers on YouTube to see what people have done with them and how they roll... i read a quote somewhere that every RC fan should have a LB or at least has had one at some point :D

I'm certainly enjoying the process of rebuilding it at the moment. Looking forward to running it and getting the kids into it too.

yes as long as you ballrace it and use decent grease in the gears, i run one of mine with a 19x2 orion brushed motor and thats a mare at times as you can see there are some must have hopups

sorry FOX I dont mean to hijack your thread

Dont worry buddy... its good that someone with more experience can dip in when needed ;)

I've never had a Lunch Box but my first proper RC was a Midnight Pumpkin, which is exactly the same but with a different shell. I loved it, was so much fun :good:

Pics as promised :D

IMG00095-20121009-1426.jpg

IMG00096-20121009-1426.jpg

IMG00097-20121009-1427.jpg

As you can see i have flipped the wheelie bar over (read somewhere is helps with stability in wheelies / doesnt let the van rise too high), fitted up the rear end, shocks etc and fitted up the front arms and brace.

I should be getting a new servo for the steering and a new motor either today or tomorrow so i'll get those installed quick sharp and then get on with the front shocks etc.

I'm hoping to have a rolling chassis by the end of the week. Plan is to then sort out the bodywork and start looking at radio gear ;)

Thanks, Nige

Had a moment of panic fitting the servo... the Tamiya servo saver didnt want to push onto the new servo gear to start with... it popped on in the end...

I've got the servo installed now and half the front suspension installed... will get some pics later and get them uploaded.

Hopefully the new motor arrives tomorrow.

Cheers, Nige