• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Speed camera vans

53HRA

:angry:

On the way to work this morning down an open road minutes from my house which is built up towards the end ( i drive on it everyday).

So the lorry driver on the opposite side started flashing,didn't click why so i carried on :boredlook: !!!

Round the corner i spotted a speed camera van about 200 yards away.i was doing 40mph and got down to 30 or below as you would.Now the thing is,that road has no signs of speed limits etc,and as i said it's built up only towards the end,the rest is nice and open.

Check it out here (It happened before the little round about,and the van was parked on the side where that Black Zafira is sitting);

http://maps.google.c...2,48.26,,0,2.14

Now i don't know if me slowing down was vaild because it depends on how far the camera was zoomed in?

Is it just a matter of waiting? Nothing flashed if that helps? :confused:

Edited by 53HRA

if you were doing 40 on your speedo...you were prob doing 36 odd...you might be lucky.

Trouble is. those vans use a laser so they have zapped you before you've seen them.

They dont give a flash.

if there are no speed signs....then motorists are expected to assume 30mph (unless its not near a residential area)

Fingers crossed bud !

My mrs got caught by one two weeks ago, 144m 39 in a 40. They would have seen you way before youve spotted them.

If anybody flashes me thats going the opposite way i instantly slow down!

As to the road signs, if there isnt a speed sign and theres a van, do 30 or go and bang on his door and ask what the speed is.

Edited by Gavin3171

If it was an unmarked van and there is no speed camera signs up anywhere on the road or the van you can argue that it was intrapment as they have to be visible although they do try and hide them you may have to look hard to spot them.

If the van had any marking like a sign saying speed camera of safety camera or there was one of them small camera signs into the estate or at either end of the road then you don't have any argument! Fingers crossed he didn't get you!

The signs don't have to be visible anymore but the vans normally get people doing 36 plus , if u slowed down so soon as uve seen it there's a good chance ull be ok has they have to have clear line of sight with the laser gun. People who say they get you before Uve seen them is rubbish.

Edited by Trickkydikky

The signs don't have to be visible anymore but the vans normally get people doing 36 plus , if u slowed down so soon as uve seen it there's a good chance ull be ok has they have to have clear line of sight with the laser gun. People who say they get you before Uve seen them is rubbish.

When I got caught I asked for the photo as I wasn't speeding when the van was in sight, the photo was of my car before it was possible to see the van.

• Like 1

argue that it was entrapment???

how is catching someone breaking the law entrapment??

when ya'll was nippers, the rozzers would hide behind the nieghbours hedge.

you would come wizzing up the road, he would jump out from behind hedge, point and shoot the radar.

then give you a ticket.

back then if he caught you but was hiding up to do it, that was classed as entrapment and you did not pay fine.

you cannot beat technology these days ( unless you have a F114 spy jet on front of your car), but you can sometime beat them with old laws.

noticed these speed traps are painted bright yellow boxes ( to stop entrapment and tell you " hey we watching you" )

also notice these speed vans park on hard should clear from obsticals (sp) this is because of entrapment laws.

stuff could have changed from the old days we OAP's was young nippers

What a load of carp!

entrapment is where an action by the police causes you to do something you would not normally do...

most obvious example is an undercover officer asks you if you want to buy drugs.

so if an undercover police officer challenged you to a race in your car, or bet you you couldn't do 45mph past a school.... and you subsequently got caught by his mate, = entrapment.

You getting caught speeding in any situation = tough!

And tbh - that stretch of road linked is an ideal site for a camera.... lamp posts = 30mph unless otherwise stated, long broken lines in centre indicating hazard, separation islands, roundabouts, bus stops, pavement, housing.

Gavin have you ever used a laser gun,i surely doubt it so having used them before im more qualified than u. u need line of sight otherwise you cannot get a reading. A laser gun sends the beam out which hits the car and returns back to the gun giving a reading. If the speed van can see the car surely the car can see the van. But them speed camera vans are so hard to spot being bright yellow.

Also I what is carp?? I know it's a fish but never heard it used in your way

Gavin have you ever used a laser gun,i surely doubt it so having used them before im more qualified than u. u need line of sight otherwise you cannot get a reading. A laser gun sends the beam out which hits the car and returns back to the gun giving a reading. If the speed van can see the car surely the car can see the van. But them speed camera vans are so hard to spot being bright yellow.

Also I what is carp?? I know it's a fish but never heard it used in your way

WOW your a genius thanks for your knowledge :doh:. They direct the beam at the number plate and sometimes your view is obstructed by bushes but they can still see your plate like in my girlfriends instant. One her view opened up she could see the van and realised she had be caught. Her own fault, nobody else was to blame.

Carp is incorrect spelling of CRAP :fish: !

Similar thing happened to me, driver coming other way and flashed me but by the time I realised why it was too late I knew I had been caught. However my county is part of the speed awareness scheme and as I was doing under a certain MPH ie speeding but not excessive I was offered the place on a speed awareness course which costs more than your fine would be but it saves you getting points. It can only be done every three years. At the end of the day I was driving I was speeding no one else to blame so deserved whatever I got. If you know you were speeding no point trying to wiggle out of it.

WOW your a genius thanks for your knowledge :doh:. They direct the beam at the number plate and sometimes your view is obstructed by bushes but they can still see your plate like in my girlfriends instant. One her view opened up she could see the van and realised she had be caught. Her own fault, nobody else was to blame.

Carp is incorrect spelling of CRAP :fish: !

like he said...your eyes dont work like lasers !

A beam can catch your roof...or front valance before your eyes have seen over the brow of a hill or round a corner.

I remember a cop on telly using a mobile van and he said the exact same thing.

• Like 1

correct ibo - and the joke is, that the council are prohibited from putting up repeater speed limit signs if there are street lights.

So you have to be on the lookout for street lights, and if they are there, its 30mph unless there is a sign to say otherwise.

Another one to watch is the exact description of a "dual carriageway" for the purposes of the national Speed Limit becoming 70mph for cars rather than 60mph for a "single" carriageway.

Dual carriageway refers not to the number of lanes going in each direction, but to whether the two opposing lanes are seperated by a solid boundary, (grass / barriers etc) rather than just a line painted on the road.

I got nabbed doing 72 up a hill, where there were 2 lanes going up, and one coming down, but only seperated by a white line. so it was a Single carriageway, and therefore a 60 limit.

• 2 weeks later...

entrapment is where an action by the police causes you to do something you would not normally do...

most obvious example is an undercover officer asks you if you want to buy drugs.

so if an undercover police officer challenged you to a race in your car, or bet you you couldn't do 45mph past a school.... and you subsequently got caught by his mate, = entrapment.

You getting caught speeding in any situation = tough!

And tbh - that stretch of road linked is an ideal site for a camera.... lamp posts = 30mph unless otherwise stated, long broken lines in centre indicating hazard, separation islands, roundabouts, bus stops, pavement, housing.

I'm afraid zebrevo had got this pretty much right everyone. The only difference will be that the camera is operated by non police related sector (probably the council) but the police will be the ones who deal with any offence. Speed limits and signs do not have to be displayed as road users should be aware of the content in the highway code.

Hope they didn't catch you on the gun tho mate.

you may have of got lucky and it was an anpr van as said before you was speeding so you have to pay the penalty 10% over is the tolrance but if your not stroppy with the copper he may let you off with a warning upto around 36 if stopped

i was on a fast road what i know is a 30 had white van man 2ft of my bumper flashing his lights so stuck to 30 he over took me doing around 50, we both got pulled he got done for speeding and dangerous driving reason thay pulled me, i was a witness

iirc thay have 14 days to inform of a 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' from the date it happened

Edited by flash22

Been 20days since this topic,nothings arrived in the post yet (Touch wood).

Even the other day i went past 2 camera vans...was doing about 27mph,so didn't have nothing to worry about :D

Definitely learnt my lesson though from the first time round.

:good:

Edited by 53HRA

Although the technology on the vans themselves is capable of some amazing feats, its limited by number of vehicles in its view, the "crest of a hill" thing and the 150 meters away things is very unlikely, uless your literally the only car on that stretch of road at that time. Technology in this department however, is constantly advancing.

My most painfull learning experience was at 71 MPH on a dual carriageway....

Sounds harsh???

I wasnt aware at this point that the speed limit for vans on dual carriageways was 50 MPH, Cars and bikes are 70MPH.. :(