• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

mcd v4

Big A

<p>

That is the RRV4, so yeah race spec roller. Damn nice buggy, not sure on price tho.

Danny seems abit high ive seen them go on eBay for around 850 rtr and with 5 days to go im guessing its going over the grand mark ?

Had an Evo3 and that was rock solid once sorted.... but you do need to stay on top of maintenance. If I didn;t change the layshaft bearings, it would strip gears. You can't just run them like you can a Baja for FG

The V4 is a good car...but once they start to wear...they start to break. A used one, therefore, is a real potential can of worms. May be a good one...or it may be in need of work. And when they need work...the bills pile up!

The roller in the ad has plenty of upgrade parts on it ... but I do think the price is rather high considering it's a roller. Mind you...you can sell on the shell and monster truck wheels to get your final cost down.

The mcds v4's that I race with have needed a fortune spent on them to make them reliable and still get regular drivetrain breakages and the stock shocks are poor so have been changed. I do think that the actual chassis is pretty strong and can take a lot of abuse before anything breaks, just a shame that it is usually a drive pin or cup that let's them down and they look a pig to work on.

There is not taking the success away from MCD with the recent results at the Euros but most were factory team drivers who spent most of their time stripping and rebuilding their cars - something your average Joe racer can't afford to do. The cars were push to their limits and beyond at the Euros and yes, MCD won but if for example there was a cap on spares, I think the results would have been different.

The mcds v4's that I race with have needed a fortune spent on them to make them reliable and still get regular drivetrain breakages and the stock shocks are poor so have been changed. I do think that the actual chassis is pretty strong and can take a lot of abuse before anything breaks, just a shame that it is usually a drive pin or cup that let's them down and they look a pig to work on.

I've been running mine since January and I've not spent a fortune on it.

I've brought the factory team drive cups and some hinge pins

Edited by naon-deano

I Kinda like MCD , did the Evo 3 ,then Ultimate , and stuck with them , Ran an almost stock V4 for 12 months along side my ultimate ,and the V4 got more use ,

better to drive ,then as upgrades arrived ( and a few of us got parts made By Jofer and other people ) right now a V4 is an excellent machine .

Never had any major Issues , Sensible maintenance and no problems comp or FT models. As for extras ,they all need them depending on what you do ,

DSC_0012.jpg

Their bearings are no worse than any other RC.

the only issue I had bering wise on my Evo was down to the design. I was running the stock plastic gear carrier, and the centre layshaft bearings tended to go every few months. The centre shaft is not well supported, and the plastic carrier doesn;t let the heat from friction loads dissipate like an alloy one does. It also has a small degree of flex which doesn;t help.

The cure is an alloy gear carrier....but they were either very expensive ( genuine MCD part) or of suspect quality and accuracy ( the rest) so I never fitted one. I went for steel gears which were more tolerant of a bit of slop....but just got into the habit of changing the bearings every few months. they didn;t cost much and was a quick job to do.

Interestingly...the Maverick Blackout gear setup is a direct copy of the MCD design, and it had similar problems.

Don;t see why gear drag would break parts. If the gears are properly setup, then there shouldn't be a lot of drag. Certainly no worse than other 4WD cars

Their bearings are no worse than any other RC.

the only issue I had bering wise on my Evo was down to the design. I was running the stock plastic gear carrier, and the centre layshaft bearings tended to go every few months. The centre shaft is not well supported, and the plastic carrier doesn;t let the heat from friction loads dissipate like an alloy one does. It also has a small degree of flex which doesn;t help.

The cure is an alloy gear carrier....but they were either very expensive ( genuine MCD part) or of suspect quality and accuracy ( the rest) so I never fitted one. I went for steel gears which were more tolerant of a bit of slop....but just got into the habit of changing the bearings every few months. they didn;t cost much and was a quick job to do.

Interestingly...the Maverick Blackout gear setup is a direct copy of the MCD design, and it had similar problems.

Don;t see why gear drag would break parts. If the gears are properly setup, then there shouldn't be a lot of drag. Certainly no worse than other 4WD cars

Its just what someone said to me about MCD, not saying its true but just asking for your opinion if its true thats all.