• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

I've decided to join the Savage XS club. Picked one up from my local store yesterday :)

Unfortunately its still in its box! Need to get some connectors soldered up for the batteries. I also have the Alturn servo and some Traxxas rod ends so I guess its worth swapping these before first use?

Anything else I should do? The pinion seems to come loose a lot so should I just go ahead and loctite that first too? Do I need to check the slipper?

• Like 1

If you've got Traxxas rod ends then yes, convert to captured turnbuckles. Use more on the bottom of the shocks if you have the right size, the stock ends are pony.

Loctite the pinion and set the slipper then either backshim or loctite that too or it will back off. Any servo is better than the stocker so the alturn will definitely be worth dropping in there too :)

Edited by Geeze

So, new servo in. pinion loctited. Slipper looked tight so have just left that.

I had the traxxas rod ends but nothing else. Looks like I need a few more bits first before I can convert to captured turnbuckles. Might wait till they get lost/ pop off too frequently.

Had a quick play with it outside in the car park. Wow the stock tyres are bad. On dry tarmac they are sliding around as if in the wet or even on ice. Might need some new wheels and tyres first I think!

HPI Ground Assaults in D compund are an awesome all-rounder tyre :thumbsup:

Aren't the stock tyres HPI D compound also? It can't just be the tread pattern that's bad ?

I was thinking of going for either pro line mashers or big joes.

mashers 2000 are awesome, but you should use some gorilla tape inside the tyre to avoid ballooning it too much.

I installed traxxas turnbuckle and they are awesome compared to the stock turnbuckles.

mashers 2000 are awesome, but you should use some gorilla tape inside the tyre to avoid ballooning it too much.

I installed traxxas turnbuckle and they are awesome compared to the stock turnbuckles.

It is the tread pattern that is bad on the stock tyres. You could always get the Ground Assaults in S compound if you want something a bit grippier at the expense of wear rate. I ran Ground Assault's in D compound on my XS SS, awesome tyres and suit the truck.

If you go for mashers or big joe's, be sure to adjust your gearing as they're larger diameter than stock.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my xs as it's been sitting broken for around 6 months

Im running proline gladiators and they are great on all surfaces

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use premount SCT sets on mine, softer and grippier than stock but not hugely wide with the hope it takes some of the strain off the drivetrain. Right diameter for stock gearing too :)

Speaking of which, yes, you need to change the gearing for 3S. And be prepared to break stuff :D

Do you have a link for these?

Well...I have officially joined the Savage XS club :)

Wasn't really sure what to expect, so perhaps having an open mind helps to assess something.

Opening the box was typical HPI. A damn fine manual, a few tools and stickers...neither of which will be much use to me....the radio and some batteries. Radio gear was TF40 standard RTR issue, and actually not bad. Had one before....and it's pleasant enough and the radio antenna tucks away neatly. That's actually pretty important for me. I have a habit of breaking antenna that don;t tuck right away. Part of the reason for me buying a Sanwa MT4 for my other cars!

The thing feels very nice. It's heavy, solid, and ...well...looks like a Savage. Just one a bit further away :)

Shocks felt nice for RTR setup, and the only thing I don;t really like is the Deans plug. Not my choice of connector. Will change that later, but not until I have run the car a few times. I have an adaptor anyway.

Battery compartment is a bit snug with the Turnigy blue softpacks I have. Mainly because the leads come out at the wrong angle for the battery box. I have had to relieve the white plastic end cover so the leads can fold a bit more. That said....having full sized packs in a car this small is nice.

So. End of the day, after things had cooled a bit...it was off to the park to test run it.

Actually it's quite rapid! Only running 2S, it's about as fast as it needs to be. On a par with my Castle 3800 powered Firestorm on 3S and conservative gearing. Which for a car of this size puts it on the edge of it's handling ability. Few wheelies ( wheelie bar to be purchased.... ) and a judicious helping of spins, rolls and silliness. I like it. The stock tyres get slated....but in the bone dry rock hard ground they were OK. More grip would give more wheelies...but probably more grip rolls in turns too. The only thing I need to change is the brakes. WAY too fierce. Hit a small bump under braking, and the car rotates the nose down enough to roll end-over. You have to be veeeery gentle. Tapping or hard braking and you will be on your roof. Whatever setting it comes with as stock is not good.

Do I need a castle field thingy to program it? Might be time to buy one.

So..in summary. It feels well built and well screwed together. It fits in my Survivor35 rucksack. Along with batteries, charger, a few tools and radio. I got plenty of runtime off a 5000Mah 2S pack. It's fast enough to be fun, and as long as it doesn't eat itself.....I think I will have a lot of fun with this little truck.

• Like 1

Glad to see the XS still getting some love, yes they have higher than normal drivetrain wear but to this date is one of the most fun rc's I've owned. I can see me getting another at some point. I just wish HPI didn't discontinue the XS SS kit version as I enjoy the building and it came with some nice upgrades over the rtr.

Had it still been out there, I would have gone SS .... but it's still decent value for what you get in the RTR.

Might have to invest in wome wheel/tyre options, but thats cool as I can wheel share with the Firestorm. Another plus to using normal 2.2 truck wheels/tyres.

Im currently rebuilding diffs on my xs as last time it was took out it was really notchy and the rear wheels jammed

i have finally got round to fixing her 

this is the rear diff 

im currently waiting on some bearings from a local supplier as im not paying