• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

Those tyres look lush! Shame the chrome won't last :P

*coughs* SHELF QUEEN *coughs* :D

Whilst im posting in here, does anyone have clear instructions for chaning a rear axle or even a youtube link? One of mine doesnt like these wheels due to the shortened availability of thread on the axel for the wheel nut - ive had a good look and its ever so slightly worn so the nut doesnt hold firm, if i wanted these wheels on permanently id just thread lock i or use plumber tape but i want proper fixings ;)

Edited by tnuol

Lol... Shelf queen... USE IT!

I imagine it is the same as any other axle. Take wheel and hex off, unscrew the top support arm on the wheel end. Open out the wheel so the hub points down and then you should be able to pop it out the diff and pull the CVD out.

I'd try it, but I just finished putting it together. :P

I'm still waiting for my motor to arrive, hopefully it should be here by the end of the month.

My combo turned up yesterday. Slapped it in and looks good. Doesn't sit too well on the ESC mount in the car though :shockingscary:.

Need to get round and do the shell at some point.

Some of my parts arrived today (THANKS MS FOR SPEEDY DELIVERY) so ive replaced the axel - i might even do a step by step for morons like me who cant work it themselves too easily :D

Problem seems fixed now, now to fit the upper arm ajustment kit (camber toe in adjustment) and sway bar kit too :)

Ordered another body shell but not sure when that will arive as its on back order.

My muchmore fan n guard turned up too so i'll have to work out how to fit those too

Gonna be busy for a couple of days me thinks :)

Anyone care to recommend a set of tyre for a spare set of hubs I have - 2.2" hubs, I already have tarmac slics in the form of traxxas anacondas, also have a set of the standard xs tryes and a set of ground assault - im looking at the hpi yokohama geolanders from M$ http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-yokohama-geolandar-m-t-tire-s-compound/rc-car-products/14478

cos i like the look of them :)

ALso, I have just installed a sway bar kit but it didnt come with set up instructions, can anyone help me with this (took a while to fit them and a lot of dismantling the beastie to get things in place)

Reinforced the bodyshell and decorated in one move, not to everyones taste but it does the job, also fitted sawy bar kit and a-arm adjustment kit, feels much firmer now and wheelies much more easily ;)

WP_000729.jpg

WP_000732.jpg

WP_000734.jpg

now to work out how to change esc fan anyone want to HHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP :D

fitter t-bone racing f/r/wheelie bars bumpers today - looks so much better for it, just waiting on a new bodyshell ive on back order from M$ n i think i'll be sorted for rthe meantime although id like to smooth out the drive chain as it soiunds a bit grindy oh and new shocks - may have another crack at fitting shock boots too

Got my XS RTR Wednesday, love the power of this thing. It's insane on 3s! However iv snapped a driveshaft and twisted/bent the others. Ordered some more and just replaced all four. Is this a weak point on the XS? Iv not yet bashed it was just out in the garden doing some backflips :) proberly not good for this thing. Should I just stick to 2s in future?

Got my XS RTR Wednesday, love the power of this thing. It's insane on 3s! However iv snapped a driveshaft and twisted/bent the others. Ordered some more and just replaced all four. Is this a weak point on the XS? Iv not yet bashed it was just out in the garden doing some backflips :) proberly not good for this thing. Should I just stick to 2s in future?

I would stick to 2S if you want it be more reliable, 2S is plenty power on these. Other weak points are the centre drive cups are prone to wearing fast so keep an eye on them and then replace with the HD versions. Also keep an eye on your wheel hex pins.

Chasman - on 3s there`s enough torque to damage the drive train, my best advice is to land off the power, always land finger off the power. With 3s you have great rotational control in the air but be respectful of the torque feed it in smooth. Have a soft loose surface to land or flip onto like woodchip :thumbsup: .

2s for a bit then go 3s.

I got some sand tyres on.  HPI sand throwers on the front.Proline sand paws on the back, arrived today, 60mm wide!  10mm wider than the front! Any thoughts on the likely handling characteristics?

Dumb question, regarding the extra width of tyres, will this not add extra strain to the drive train? or any adverse effects from using above standard wheels?

Also, my traxxas wheels are a smidge smaller than the hpi wheels etc so am i doing more harm than good by using them?

The wheels are the same size,the tyres on the rear stick out 5mm each side of the rim though. The fronts are flush with the wheel. The overall wheel diameter on the back is larger too. There probably is a bit more stress on the rear drive line but it handled really well on sand this weekend! Great rooster tails. The only thing was a lot of lift from the back so turning at speed was limited.

I dont think a few mm either way will make a. Big difference if your bashin, maybe for racing.

OK gents and ladies and those undecided - i was brwsing fleabay (as you do) looking for the illusive xs body shell and came across someone selling wheelieking body shells, as part of the description they say that a wheelieking shell will fit a savage xs with a tiny bit of messing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-wheely-king-mini-gt1-truck-painted-body-shell-orange-fits-savage-xs-if-modd-/280638967137?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item415762cd61

Has anyone tried this? does it fit or is this seller being a twunt n fibbing

Im busting to spray a bodyshell for the first time but alas there is at least another months wait (acording to uk HPI and M$)

Cheers in advance

it looks a bit big in the photo assuming it shows the xs underneath?. I had an old bullet shell and offered it up to my xs and it looks oversized. imo too big. If it measures the same as the bullet steer clear. I tried the proline revo beetle shell too, that's undersized and barely covers the vitals.

Any other compatible shell`s people?

Edited by logicpaul

Hi just thought I'd show a few pics of my new savage

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

I really enjoyed the build but the hpi screws supplied are truly terrible.

It's got a 4000kv Ezrun motor and 60 amp Esc, first test it over heated and was pritty slow so was very disappointed .

I reset the esc to zero timing and turned the drag brake down and so far running a lot cooler and pritty nippy.

I fancied the xs as I have the hpi flux xl. Just need to get a set of matching bodies

image-2.jpg

Its fantastic to drive I'm very happy with it. Haven't tried it on 3s tho but I've read it can cause problems with some of the drive train is this true ?

Thanks Alex

Edited by c2revo

It does seem to be running cooler now I know I should probably keep away from 3s. I'm thinking of mounting a cooling fan on the motor side, see if that helps.The esc is not getting warm.

It's just a standard xs she'll tnuol I do like the look of the wrangler shell tho.

What brushless setups are you guys running ?

Thanks logicpaul, I've heard it can try destroy itself but sounds great fun.

in terms of the cooler on the motor, its a tight squeeze, ive seen folks modify the motor housing section by opening out the vents fully with a dremmel then cover with fine mesh to keep junk out.

Your shell looks more squared off than my two - maybe a squirk of camera or even paint job ;)